Google Updates Maps To v5.3 On Android

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,383
Points 1,192,290
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 5 2011 11:46 PM
Another week, another update for Google on the Android front. iOS' major competitor just keeps the hits coming, this time with a point release to Google Maps. The company has just released GMaps 5.3 into the Android Market, which lets you see your Google Location History dashboard, check in at “home,” and add your own aspects for places when rating them. If you’ve enabled Location History for Google Latitude, you’ve been able to visualize interesting trends in your location history with a personal dashboard at google.com/latitude on your computer. Now, you can also see your dashboard on your phone by tapping View location history from your Latitude profile. You’ll be able to see right on your phone how far you’ve travelled as well as an estimate of how much time you’ve spent at home, at work, or out.

There's also the option to rate places on Maps using Google Places with Hotpot, and best of all, the update works with any Android phone that uses v1.6+. Who needs Froyo, right? Well...

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295

sweet :) now theres another way for them to track ya :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 5,060

I like the 28 hours a week average at home. Man, only going home for 4 hours a day and only working 4 hours a day/5 days a week must be sweet.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

While cool I have to wonder what Google is doing with this data. Selling it to advertisers anyone? I would need to read the ToS very carefully before using the latitude feature.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Sat, Apr 9 2011 1:12 PM

This kind of this is awesome. I also like the tagging options where you and your friends can tag something like a retailer or restaurant on a map.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS