Firefox 5 Details Revealed

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,846
Points 1,114,875
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 4 2011 1:35 PM
With Firefox 4 still fresh off the assembly line, there's already talk of Mozilla's next major browser release, Firefox 5. Premature? Not in the world of technology, it isn't. Let's also not forget that Mozilla is adopting a Google Chrome-like development cycle, in which there will be several different builds to choose from, including pre-beta builds, as part of an accelerated release cycle. So, what do we know about Firefox 5 at this point?

Word on the Web is that Firefox 5 will take a more social approach to Web browsing than previous versions. Expect an overhauled UI (again) with several new features. There will be a new tab page and a tab multi-select feature similar to what's currently available in Chrome's nightly builds (Chromium).

Add-ons are set to get standardized toolbar support, there will be a file upload indicator, the home button will go the way of the dodo (it will be replaced with a permanent Home app tab), and Mozilla plans to implement an in-browser preview function with an integrated PDF viewer.

But wait, there's more! Look for Taskbar Web apps to be prominent in Firefox 5, in which tabs will get their own context menus that can be configured by website owners, an integrated identity manager with support for multiple sign-ons at the same time will exist, and there will be new sharing features intertwined with social networking sites, like Facebook and Twitter, and probably social news sites, like Reddit and Digg.

It's still early and all this is subject to change, but what would you like to see incorporated in Firefox 5?

• | Post Points: 290
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 87
Points 915
wil2200 replied on Mon, Apr 4 2011 2:09 PM

Sorry FF, I love the browser but I don't need social crap polluting the space

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Mon, Apr 4 2011 2:12 PM

Opera tried the social stuff and it didnt help their cause on gaining market share. Bad move Mozilla, just as bad as messing up the right click context menu in FF4.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

I agree. Facebook shouldn't be part of the browser. The reason firefox used to be great was it was a sleeker alternative to the competitor while allowing additional functionality using add-ons.

However, the multi-identity manager sounds great. As well as a new home tab. Just don't waste time on "social" integration.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45
AValde replied on Mon, Apr 4 2011 4:13 PM

more social??

i'll stick with FF4, thank you

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
aart12 replied on Mon, Apr 4 2011 4:21 PM

Here, here!!!

Not everybody does Fakebook or Twatter. Most of us who don't subscribe to those wastes of human spirit and boon to those marketing ghouls are getting pretty darned pissed about getting these connect features shoved in our face every time a new update to every piece of software we use, and taking up so much development resources and screen-real estate... If 'they' do incorporate those features in the future, they better damn well make it so they can be disabled!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,365
Points 30,865
rrplay replied on Mon, Apr 4 2011 4:23 PM

..." a permanent Home app tab" ?? I am perfectly capable of launching my own apps and finding my own home.

&  stay with  FF4

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Apr 4 2011 5:52 PM

I'm more in favor of a social networking extension like the ones for chrome than one of many firefox browser builds dedicated towards social networking

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

if i wanted rockmelt id go get it

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Apr 5 2011 1:03 AM

So the social aspect of it is a button you click in the address bar?...

That has got to be the most ridiculous way to make Firefox a social browser, I mean it's so easy a plugin can do it.

No offense, I'm looking forward to the identity manager and the preview function but I don't know if that button on the address bar will make it stand out.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

While I am in favor of change and progress. Like most others here I don't believe they should be forcing the social networking aspects on people. It would be much better that if during the install process it asked if you wanted to install an add-in for it so those of us that just want our browser to be a browser don't have to suffer with it.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60

Here, here!!!

ART12 you took the words right from my mouth.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
s10dude replied on Tue, Apr 5 2011 10:01 AM

leave the social where it's at now please....more is not always better

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295
DScheive replied on Tue, Apr 5 2011 11:15 AM

i think it will be awesome :D i will throw myself into the hate for FF5 and say that i support it and its integration with facebook and twitter :D but if i see one justin beiber comment or picture i swear to god i will lose it!!! i hate that little tard :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Tue, Apr 5 2011 12:30 PM

As far as new browsers go (and yes I still use FF daily) the Chrome 11 beta is crazy fast. Of course FF has it's positives to. I generally use it when email checking, writing, and of course forums are what I am up to. That is more add on's and functionality. FF just works better and has better add on's for these things. Speed I use it (Chrome 11) for Face book, site hopping, finding info etc. Chrome 11 beta rocks.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

lol@all the basement dwelling neckbeards with no friends who fix their next door neighbours computer for a living whinging about social integration taking up screen real estate and resources.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Looks like a half ass RockMelt ripoff.. and slower.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Apr 5 2011 8:22 PM

ACPennypacker:
lol@all the basement dwelling neckbeards with no friends who fix their next door neighbours computer for a living whinging about social integration taking up screen real estate and resources.

Funny thing is, it doesn't take up screen space at all. If anything the social integration could be best suited for a plugin then an addition to a browser.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

This is what plugins are for.I don't want this crap.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

What are you all complaining about??? It's not like Firefox 5 is planed to be release tomorrow and they are forcing it down your throat! It probably won't be even this year.

First of all, that social sharing icon in taskbar is already an add-on. It's called f1. If it will be integrated in FF5, then there should be an easy way to disable it. As there should be a choice about the homepage. Just like in FF4 you can choose what the browser looks like and what features you want.

FF is and always was customizable. Just because there might be a few more choice to choose from doesn't mean you can complain about it like a bunch of kids.

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 160
wannab replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 4:06 PM

FF is almost complete customizable. If you dont want it then turn if off, but many users who do use the internet are part of the facebook/twitter revolution.

Besides 5's release is far from being completed.

If you followed 4's beta, youll know they listen to what people say. The moved the tabs to the top and bottom like 5 times before finally putting them where they are now.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 10:31 PM

Social networking stuff is hot right now, so I can see why FF is embedding the functionality. I just hope they make it easy for people who don't want it to disable it or avoid installing the feature from the beginning.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 11:14 PM

if it's anything like FF4, i will promptly remove this and live my life. solved.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 475
KAdair replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 3:16 PM

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

facebook the killer of all things right and just, lol. *disable* and move on. This will likely be great for a lot of people who live on facebook. Besides we (power users) do not make up the majority of FF user base.

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS