Hasbro's My3D Goggles Bring 3D To iPhone And iPod Touch

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,846
Points 1,114,875
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 4 2011 12:15 AM
You know 3D's taking off when something like this happens. Hasbro is a company more commonly seen in the toy lanes at your local shopping mart, but they're jumping on the 3D bandwagon as well. They've just launched the My3D, a 360-degree handheld viewer for iPhone and iPod touch. It's a lot like those viewers you used to used as a kid, and it provides "3D" to devices without 3D screens. Apple hasn't placed an actual 3D display on their iDevices, but with a little help from the viewer and some specialized content, a 3D effect can still be had. But here's the real question: will people seriously carry around a My3D goggle set in order to "enjoy 3D" on their iPhone?

The hardware itself will be sold exclusively at Target starting this week, and seven My3D apps are already available to download. The viewer itself requires users to attach their iDevice to it in order to see the 3D effect, but again, we can't really see this being used heavily in public spaces. You'd just look too darn weird. For those who are interested in trying it within the confines of their own home, you'll need the viewer as well as an iPhone 3G, 3GS or iPhone 4, or a second, third, and fourth generation iPod touch.

Once an app is downloaded, users can immediately begin to immerse themselves in the 3D content and/or 360-degree environment. Worth $34.99 to put 3D on your iPhone? We're saying no, but it's hard to know what the public will say...
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

Being from Hasbro immediately made me think of children. I do think this would be cool to use with children. Especially if app developers jump on board and start producing 3d apps about subjects like dinosaurs and ocean life for example.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

I can see it now. Hasbro 3D goggles in theaters. lol, these thing are ridiculous. I wonder if it comes with that lever for switching pictures which would now control brightness.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Apr 4 2011 10:47 AM

Seeing it on ThinkGeek on the 1st of April made me think that it couldn't happen.

3 days later, it happened.

I do admit, it's kind of ridiculous but I'm kind of happy to see something like this come to fruition, 3D iPhone glasses, just imagine the possibilities!

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
JDoura replied on Mon, Apr 4 2011 4:04 PM

I got one to see if I could use it with 3d pics I take with my Fujifilm w1 camera. By converting the photos to side by side format in Stereo Photo Maker, it works. I think with a 4th gen Ipod the resolution will be better than what I get with my 2nd gen one. If someone tries this with a newer ipod, please let me know how the picture quality is. I can see the pixels with my ipod because the lenses magnify the screen. I agree that it is nothing I would use in public but it does have possibilities.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS