Android App Helps Quarterbacks Hone Spiral Skills

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,702
Points 1,207,925
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Apr 2 2011 1:17 AM
It's pretty amazing the things you can do with a modern day smartphone. It's possible to check up on e-mail, let your friends know where you're eating dinner, and even make a few phone calls. But you already knew that. What we're really after is the development community, which has put out some rather astounding software over the years. Android is a platform where wild developments are happening quickly, as Google's barrier to app entry is pretty low in terms of major OS barriers. If you build it, and it's not malicious, it'll almost definitely score a spot in the market. And even if not, it's fun to distribute APKs on your own for curious Android users to try out.

One of the more interesting applications we've seen this year comes in the form of a rather unusual video. It's the perfect spiral trainer for Android, which uses Bluetooth, an InvenSense module, an Android phone and a NERF football in order to help quarterbacks hone their spiral skills. It's obviously important in serious sporting leagues to have a beautiful spiral, and this Replay Football System allows tossers to evaluate their spiral in real time, and then check that data out in order to see just how beautiful (or ugly) their throws were.

In this demo, a Droid 2 is used, and the football is transmitting data over Bluetooth the entire time. The throw release speed, time in flight, RPM of spiral and spiral wobble (precession) are all displayed during playback, and the 3 graphs display the raw data from the Accelerometer, Gyro, and Magnetometer respectively. Have a look yourself; we doubt you'll be disappointing with the hard work that obviously went into this.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 11:10 AM

wow... How much does it cost???

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

thats sweet : ) you think the NFL has nerds that give them this type of thing.

Not Ranked
Posts 66
Points 555

i hope Alex Smith has a droid....

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

I just hope we have NFL football this year.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 2:26 PM

I agree with Thunderbird on that one. As far as this app all it really seemed to do is film the throw and play it back. This is useful, but no suggestions so it would probably need to be used with someone who new the physic's of something like this.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,650
coolice replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 3:21 PM

Well... they now use GPS tracking systems when training players... so this is pretty cool! I remember in cricket once they were debating to use something form of tracking device (this was Discovery asia) for the science behind bowling... you think baseball pitching is crazy.... i think cricket bowling is crazy, the amount of spins, swings etc, Woah (crickets been pretty big this time around in Toronto, so i've been following up and learning a lot haha)

So this is pretty cool indeed!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 7:54 PM

This is a neat application and use of blutooth but I dont think at this specific state is it suitable for possessional sports, A Nerf Football doesn't have the same dimensions, aerodynamics or weight as a regulation NFL or NCAA football and when you're dealing with a ball made of foam, its easier to put the hardware and blu-tooth or gps tracking devices inside them but if you were to try to do that with a leather or synthetic leather material NCAA or NFL football you'd pop the sucker or add extra weight to a part that would make the throw's off balance and unable to spiral anyways. Sort of defeating the purpose of the app itself

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS