IEEE Approves Next Generation WiMAX Standard

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,846
Points 1,114,875
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 1 2011 11:47 AM
Don't go betting against WiMAX just yet. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) has gone and approved IEEE 802.16m, which is the standard for the next generation of WiMAX. Also known as WirelessMAN-Advanced for WiMAX-2, the new standard could possibly deliver speeds of more than 300Mbps, as demonstrated by Samsung last year at the CEATAC trade show in Tokyo, although it's designed to deliver around 100Mbps to end users.

"We are delighted that IEEE has recognized the completion of this comprehensive technical effort that has involved hundreds of creative and diligent professionals from over twenty countries during the last four years," said Dr. Roger Marks, Chair of the IEEE 802.16 Working Group. "Our organization was able to efficiently harmonize these innovative technologies into a clear set of specifications guiding the future development of the mobile broadband marketplace."

IEEE 802.16m incorporates innovative communications technologies like multi-user MIMO, multicarrier operation, and cooperative communications. It also supports femto-cells, self-organizing networks, and relays.

At the same time, WiMAX is being overshadowed by Long-Term Evolution (LTE) 4G networks, which is finding more support among wireless carriers.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

Now that their is a ratified standard hopefully people will start deploying this technology. From what I can tell it is far superior to 4G

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

Unfortunately there have been many great ideas that where overlooked due to competitors with better media coverage and industry lobbying...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

lets hope they can keep the standard they set.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 1:07 AM

Hmmmm.. well the next level of LTE is supposed to be a way off, so that might strengthen this to a point as well. Plus if Sprint sticks with it there is another plus as well. They are number 3 right now I know, and while many are talking about this At&t/Tmobile deal making them stronger if it goes through. I don't know though really I don't think T-mobile members are very happy about it at all. So Sprint might be grabbing a nice percentage of those especially smart phone users where they have signal.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 490
Points 4,540

I always hate the way people compare WiMAX to LTE. LTE is made for phones, an evolution of their data system. WiMAX is basicly WiFi on steriods and crack.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H
Yes it's the original InfinityzeN

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS