Nokia Shows New Face: Nokia Pure Typeface

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,155
Points 1,185,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 29 2011 3:08 PM
Nokia is turning over a new leaf. The company has been taken over by an ex-Microsoft vet, and they're largely ditching Symbian in order to focus on Windows Phone 7. It's a fresh start for an old company and there's better no way to say that to the public than by changing how they perceive you. For Nokia, that starts with their famed font. Nokia Sans was the previous font of choice, and it was iconic in nature. It was everything in Nokia's branding, and for hardcore fans, it may be hard to see let go.

The new font, which takes over starting this week, is called Nokia Pure. The company claims that this font provides 'beauty in supreme usability,' but it remains to be seen if people latch on. To us, it looks a lot smoother and more modern than the font Nokia's leaving behind, and we suspect it'll work well in advertising.

Nokia is actively defending their decision to make the switch, but honestly we feel that's unnecessary. The company is effectively different than it was just a year ago, so having a new face seems logical. What do you think? Are you a fan of the new typeface?

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Are people that shallow that they think just a typeface is going to change the way people perceive the company. Personally it's readable and that is important for advertisement but it doesn't change the way I think about Nokia lets hope their products speak for them rather than a font.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Mar 30 2011 9:41 AM

Eh, it's just a font. The bigger issue is how Nokia is going to going to succeed with their new Windows Phone focused goals.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I think it looks good. You have to keep in mind nokia is trying to reinvent themselves and this includes their marketing department. That department has nothing to do with the tech so the fact that they are trying to make the entire company more modern is a good sign.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Wed, Mar 30 2011 1:40 PM

Those are very good points from everyone. I find it odd there is really not a lot more to say than whats already here. I like the font, and I am curious about where Nokia is going with there new bed buddies M$. I also hope the don't just slowly get something going as has seemingly been Microsoft's path so far on the mobile front. They have done a lot of work, but it has not caught on in a large percentage which seems odd for M$ generally. Then Nokia has kind of been in the same position on there front. So will two companies who have been rather unaggressive on this tier of the market going to now be faster together, or will they just continue like the sloths we have seen from them both up until now?

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Wed, Mar 30 2011 10:02 PM

The font looks fine, but it really makes little difference to me as long as it's readable. What I"m really interested in is how well the company fares with Windows Phone 7. Microsoft and Nokia both have some serious catching up to do. They were once leaders but now, both companies seem to be struggling in the smartphone space.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Mar 31 2011 10:00 AM

>> Nokia is turning over a new leaf. The company has been taken over by an ex-Microsoft vet...

Proportional fonts don't help those with a terminal disease.

A Microsoft partner is just someone they haven't gotten around to killing yet.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS