Report: Verizon Wireless Getting Xperia Play In May

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,171
Points 1,185,690
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Mar 26 2011 10:18 AM
When will Sony Ericsson's Xperia Play finally come to the U.S.? If the latest reports stemming from CTIA 2011 are correct, that time would be May. As has been the case lately, SE has delayed yet another phone well beyond what it should have been. Rather than just announcing the phone and shipping it within a few weeks (or even months), the Xperia Play will likely be competing with a new iPhone and a slew of 3D Android phones. We won't say that they missed their window of opportunity, but they certainly have taken their sweet time in getting it out.

Reports from CNET have found that Verizon Wireless won't stock the Xperia Play until "late next month or early May," while Rogers in Canada is scheduled to get it on April 14th. The Verizon version of the phone will be largely similar to the stock version, but of course VZW will include the Android Kindle app, Skype Mobile, VZ Navigator and the VCast App Store. It will also ship with a half-dozen gaming titles: Asphalt 6: Adrenaline, Star Battalion, Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior, Madden NFL '11, The Sims 3, and Tetris.

Beyond that, users will be able to purchase a slew of other games, but it remains to be seen if people will gravitate towards a phone with dedicated gaming controls (or if touch panels are good enough).
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 2:50 PM

No match for the other smartphones out already. People don't even use portable playstations anymore. i haven't seen one psp or pspgo in the past year...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 3:44 PM

Why so late? I'm looking to get this phone, and I almost don't wanna wait another month.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
SDunbar replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 4:59 PM

PEOPLE WILL WHEN THERE IS A PHONE ATTACHED ... THIS IS THE NEXT BIG MARKET... SMART GAMING PHONES ...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 5:36 PM

I agree with Inspector on this one. I think I am either going to go with the EVO 3D, or the Nexus S Sprint model. From what I understand with the Nexus S only right now I can accept several major credit cards for $9.99 a month. That is kind of a deciding factor for me. Then of course the nexus S is always current and unadulterated Android. I don't know as far as capabilities I don't think it is quite up to the top of the line hardware wise. This phone though I have never been interested in. As for it being a novelty yeah I guess. Other than that no it's not for me, as I would imagine a large amount of smart phone users in the US would say the same also. We will see though shortly from what it sounds like.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 2:47 PM

Actually I think I am gonna go look over the Sprint Nexus S and see what the specs are specifically for that model.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS