Samsung Intros External 3D Blu-ray Combo Optical Disc Drive

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,205
Points 1,186,890
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Mar 26 2011 10:09 AM
Not long ago, we saw some of the newest external Blu-ray drives hit the market. Those were useful for adding BD support to machines that lacked it, particularly smaller netbooks and ultraportables that lacked an optical drive altogether. Now, Samsung is taking it the next level with the addition of 3D. The new SE-406A optical disc drive is an external 3D Blu-ray combo drive, complete with an anti-fingerprint surface, CyberLink TrueTheater software and the ability to transform 2D DVD movies into 3D movies.

The drive also handles CDs and DVDs, and it's completely powered via USB. The SE-406A drive is engineered to be compatible with all major operating systems, including Win7 and Mac OS. In addition, the drive writer features Buffer Under Run technology to prevent errors that may result from writing speeds that exceed data transfer speeds, while also enabling PC multi-tasking. The external drive provides a variety of speeds across different data media types including: 6X BD-R, 4X BD-R Dual Layer, 24X CD-ROM, 24X CD-RW, 8X DVD±R recording, 8X DVD-RAM recording, 6X DVD+R Dual Layer recording, 6X DVD-R Dual Layer recording, 8X DVD+RW recording and 6X DVD-RW recording.

It'll be available next month for $150.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 12:56 PM

These (Bluray drives) are interesting. I was looking around at them in the ultra slim variety for an HTPC. It was out of curiosity after reading an article in CPU magazine. Either way I was absolutely astounded at the price for the devices that fit in mini or ultra mini cases. If I am remembering correctly the price rang I saw was 149.99-599.99 for a DVD drive. Theses look faster and more capable, but of course there externals to.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 2:19 PM

WOW, neat. I don't see why everyone is pushing for 3D though. I mean it is neat to have but is it really needed? of course it would be neat to just have the feature, but watching a 3D movie at home just doesn't have that 3D feel anyways. However some games in 3D would be pretty epic to play xD...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 5:43 PM

There pushing it (Manufacturers) because there wallet's are hurting. The 3D TV thing I see as pretty much useless in many cases unless it is in a large display format like a huge LED or wall projection. A TV under 60-70" would just be to small it would seem to have much effect in 3D. I don't have one so I guess from that aspect I am not one to judge. Of course I am sure for those that have to have everything in TV's want one. I am not really looking for it. I do like it for one reason though it has lowered the price line of regular LED/LCD sets. Now on something like the EVO 3D or I think it is the Optimus 3D or something close I could see it, or on a camera because they would enable you to shoot 3D video.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS