AMD Directly Challenges NVIDIA In New Blog Post

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,492
Points 1,196,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 25 2011 10:55 PM

Over the last couple of weeks, the two most powerful graphics cards released for the PC to date made their respective debuts, the dual-Cayman GPU powered AMD Radeon HD 6990 and the dual-GF110 GPU powered NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590.

Without a doubt, both of these cards offer performance that puts any current-generation, single-GPU powered graphics card to shame. It’ll take a pair of today’s mid-range to high-end cards to match or surpass the performance of either the Radeon HD 6990 or GeForce GTX 590, they’re that fast.

With such powerful products in their line-ups, both AMD and NVIDIA have claimed the offer “the world’s fastest graphics card”. However, likely only one of the companies can really have the fastest card. And AMD says it’s theirs:

NVIDIA Says The GeForce GTX 590 Is 'The World's Fastest Graphics Card"

“Yesterday our competitor also issued a press release, announcing the launch of what they claim to be the “World’s Fastest Graphics Card”– the Nvidia GTX 590. We combed through their announcement to understand how it was that such a claim could be made and why there was no substantiation based on industry-standard benchmarks, similar to what AMD did with industry benchmark 3DMark 11, the latest DirectX 11 benchmark from FutureMark.”

Throughout our independent testing of the GeForce GTX 590 and Radeon HD 6990, a particular performance pattern emerged. We summarized the GeForce GTX 590’s performance thusly, “In comparison to its chief rival, however, the dual-GPU powered Radeon HD 6990, the GeForce GTX 590 ultimately comes up a bit short in terms of framerates. While both cards are exceptional performers, the Radeon HD 6990 offers higher framerates more often than not. The cards were evenly matched in FarCry 2 and Just Cause 2, the GTX 590 came out on top in the Unigine Heaven benchmark, and in Lost Planet 2, but the Radeon HD 6990 led in 3DMark11, AvP, Metro 2033, and in F1 2010.” The general consensus amongst enthusiasts and other tech publications is in-line with our summary. Both cards perform extremely well, but the Radeon HD 6990 is generally a bit faster overall.

AMD Says The Radeon HD 6990 Is The "World's Fastest Graphics Card"

Since both companies have laid claim to the “world’s fastest graphics card”, AMD wants to settle the score once and for all. Dave Erskine, the Senior Public Relations Manager for Graphics Desktop at AMD, just published a blog post challenging NVIDIA directly. “So now I issue a challenge to our competitor: prove it, don’t just say it. Show us the substantiation. Because as it stands today, leading reviewers agree with us…” Them's fightin' words.

The PC graphics space has always been a highly-competitive, cutthroat business. It’s rare, however, for the chief rivals to call each other out so directly. The response should be interesting. Or at the very least, AMD’s challenge will spur some interesting weekend discussion. What say you?

• | Post Points: 290
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655
Inspector replied on Fri, Mar 25 2011 11:21 PM

lol, let the battle begin! or advance? :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Fri, Mar 25 2011 11:43 PM

It seems t me that Nvidia downclocked the GTX 590 for several reasons the first being energy usage, but I believe that is a cover up as well because if they did not down clock it then it would run considerably hotter, and of course use more energy. While this may or may not (which I wonder but thermally Nvidia cards have been able to run hot in many cases so who knows) negatively impact the cards, it would probably go over the PCI-X limits substantially. There has to be some reason to it though because AMD's card will go over said threshold, and they have differing modes as well as a plan of attack regarding these things. So why would Nvidia down clock there card, maybe it is the same issue the 5970 had in design that forced AMD/ATI to use a 5870 setting in one and a 5850 setting in the other GPU but there was something that stopped them from doing that. Something just seems odd to me on it. Maybe it was the second issue and they felt they had to get it to market asap rather than loose share, then they can later fix it and release another dual GPU card or something. Something is strange on it to me either way.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 440
rmstiles09 replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 12:52 AM

LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 160
wannab replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 2:21 AM

Who cares who wins?! I just want one! :D

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 4:23 AM

Awesome....now make it quieter AMD....

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Nice competition is always good for us consumers :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 9:41 AM

rapid1:
Something is strange on it to me either way.

You said it, I've been thinking about getting a GTX 590 but then again I fear the worst for the card if I overclock it.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 4:30 PM

It gets old seeing claims that manufacturers fail to back up. I like what Erskine said, "prove it, don’t just say it. Show us the substantiation." Why can't more manufacturers show us proof rather than claims?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 5:49 PM

I think NVIDIA's got the game covered in all Games that use their PhysX engines and software but in other games AMD's on top of the playing field, Either way more competition between graphic card manufacturers means better products for consumers :)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 160
wannab replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 6:25 PM

Its all about competition, one says they have the better product for less, then the other does the same thing and the process repeats.

Come on! Let the price wars begin!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

I like it. AMD is stepping up and challenging Nvidia directly. I respect that and it is a valid challenge as the benchmarks do indeed indicate a win for AMD as the most power graphics card on the market.

It will be interesting to see what kind of response this statement draws.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Why does it matter? All these latest cards do is increase the frame rate by a slight amount in current games. By the time programmers come out with software that takes advantage of the features of new cards like these the industry has moved on to "the latest" cards again over a year later. You are always better off buying video cards a generation or even two generations back. Personally I always stick with nVidia because of historic driver reliability and nVidia's ability to update drivers quickly when new features and fixes are needed. But again, why care about a geek fight amongst companies? Ultimately they win because they have convinced you to purchase "The fastest video card available" at a price that will be half as much eight to twelve months from now.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 12:41 AM

Hey I want ringside seats for this boxing match. That advice is good MisterMoose although I tend to think 1 gen back personally. I am still on a 5870 and it runs everything very well. While I am intrigued by the new stuff nothing can do much over the last generation from either manufacturer. Although the last gen Nvidia card did run pretty hot even in a well cooled case from what I heard. I also am kinda amazed by these dual gpu cards from everything I hear two of the single GPU cards in whatever (SLI or Crossfire) implementation runs better or a least close to if not even at worst with these 2 dual GPU beauties.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
AGoldman replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 1:33 AM

Methinks ATI/AMD and Nvidia are like Republican and Democrat politicians. They insult each other publicly, since it's good for business...but after the show is over, they go out and have a beer together.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
DBagge replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 4:30 AM

@OSunday: Ohh rly? Because I think the biggest titles all choose Havoc - which can be used with any graphics card. Titles like Diablo III, Halo 3, Starcraft 2, Half Life 2, Elder Scrolls all use Havoc. Most games that uses PhysX is console games.

I agrre with AMD. All independent test shows HD6990 coming out ontop. The move is yours Nvidia. Show us what you got m'kay!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 3:42 PM

Correct. Mainly the power issue as the 590 maxes out the PCI-E slot + 2x8pin connectors. It's the same for the 6990 although they had to downclock it a lot less. The 6990 does have a "normal" clock mode if you flick the firmware switch which you can use if you have a really beefy power supply.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 4:50 PM

AGoldman:
Methinks ATI/AMD and Nvidia are like Republican and Democrat politicians. They insult each other publicly, since it's good for business...but after the show is over, they go out and have a beer together.

Graphics card competition is different then politics, each day they're trying to outdo themselves in making the fastest video card ever and sure they're going to insult each other but I don't think that they're going to have a beer together.

Anyways... The card that is the most powerful/most beneficial is the one I'm going with. While I think that ATI has the best video quality around, if they can't enable supersampling in DX11 games then I'm going with the GTX 590 since their drivers allow you to enable supersampling in DX10.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 9:27 PM

I Have a solution to all of this.

We need to acquire some sort of All-Spark device from transformers, and turn the respective AMD and Nvidia cards into their alternate transformer forms, where they would then proceed to battle to the death in a gladiator like fashion that would resemble something like this youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvowSrz3_Wk

It will be the new prevalent benchmark for computer technology everywhere. The All-Spark Benchmark!

muahaha

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 95
AStroup replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 2:41 AM

I'm putting two GTX 590's in my new pc i customized from ibuypower

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 95
AStroup replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 2:45 AM

My processor os always AMD, my videocard, Nvidia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295
DScheive replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 4:27 AM

I'm on nvidias side... screw AMD their graphics card is lame... the 590 is such a beast that it cant even run at full power... if a 590 is purchased thats got superior cooling and its overclocked then it will kill :D

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 558
Points 5,105

Screw your lame opinion. There is a limit of what they can run over the ATX/PCIe standard. Running up to that limit, AMD is faster. AMD is also the only one that allows run past that limit.

Fanbois don't add anything to a discussion. What provides the best performance (for what your looking for) within your budget, no matter the maker, is the best choice. Note that best performance is not always frame rates in video cards. Sometimes it is low/no noise, sometimes it is below a certain power draw, sometimes it is CUDA (which Nvidia of course wins).

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 1,735

Agreed. Why? AMD processors are better bang for the buck, while Nvidia has better Linux drivers.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 90

in the end it's all about brand loyalty!

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

I don't know about these new cards. They are fast, not so efficient, and hold alot of great new technology. However, is it worth the price. The cards are essentially a little computer in their own right, but they cost as much as a lower end model refrigerator and use more electricity. To top it off if you run a system worthy of these cards and can do so on air you could heat you house in the winter. I have a GTX 285 FTW and it works just fine, the problem generations later the card still cost $400+. Not to mention by the time these cards should come down in price they dicontinue them, unless you can find one somewhere you a forced to buy a newer generation. It is not necessarily a bad thing to have a new card, but why get one if you can still run the latest games at 40+ fps. This may not be the best fps but it is above what the human eye can notice flicker, granted first person shooters may get a bit laggy on quick turns under certain circumstances.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator

Maybe it's not all about who's card is the fastest for some of us.

Who's card is quieter?

Who's Is less power hungry?

One has a switch to flip for added performance,......but doesn't that void the warranty on an extremely expensive card? (yes, it does)

One has support for PhysX and CUDA, while the other claims that it really doesn't matter anyway. (why not?)

How many of us can afford either one of these monster cards anyway?

I believe that BOTH companies put out some wicked fast cards that sell for a lot less than either one of these monster cards sell for. These are for people with more money than sense.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (27 items) | RSS