Firefox 4 Leapfrogs Internet Explorer 9 in Downloads, Usage

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,407
Points 1,192,800
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:11 AM
The world still loves Firefox. That's what we learned from the launch of Firefox 4, which in a single day managed to grab hold of nearly 2 percent of the worldwide Internet browser market, according to StatCounter's statistics. That's more than both Opera 11 and IE9, the latter of which was released last week and claims a 0.87 percent share of the market compared to Firefox's 1.95 percent.

"Firefox 4 has really hit the ground running and has eclipsed the launch of IE 9," commented Aodhan Cullen, CEO, StatCounter. "Although IE 9 has undoubtedly been hampered by its lack of compatibility with Windows XP."

Download numbers tell a similar story. Microsoft was justifiably excited when IE9 logged 2.35 million downloads in its first 24 hours, proof positive that if you build a browser that doesn't blow, people will at least try it out. However, people were more eager to try out Firefox 4, which logged more than 4 million downloads in its first 24 hours, and now sits at over 7.4 million downloads (and climbing). You can keep track of Firefox 4's download stats here.

Did you download IE9 or Firefox 4? What did you think? And if not, what browser are you using?
  • | Post Points: 215
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:17 AM

Lol partially that is due to apps available for FF. I have used the auto update checker for like 3 or 4 version of FF now. I am still of course using both chrome and FF as some things work better in 1 VS the other, or at least thats the case for now.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:18 AM

I think it is probably good for M$ that IE is a free software solution lol.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 324
Points 4,305

I had to revert back to 3.6. I did not like the placement of the reload tab, home tab and the fact that the functions in menu bar was hidden in that orange box at the top left, took me a while to configure it to place it like 3.6. One other problem I had, was with Fonts, in every web site they looked dull. As far as web page loading performance, I couldn't tell the difference as results may vary. But one positive note, is that all my add-ons worked fine, no compatibility problems.

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I just downloaded it and I agree the placement of the reload tab is lame, same with the home page button. I usually just use command r to reload though so it's not that important but it will take some time to get used to the shifted buttons. I can tell a difference in load time and just general response time when loading the browser, It's snappy. I'm still rocking xp so I can't compare it to ie 9. I do have to say I still love using chrome.......

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 5,060

I actually like the new version a lot. Of course, I use all-in-one or keyboard commands, so the less buttons up top the better for me.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 3:05 PM

the design is pretty neat, but i didn't like the tabs being on the top, maybe im just not use to it. Thankfully they included the option to put it on bottom again. the new menu is pretty clean too :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 6:49 PM

I've been excited for Firefox 4 ever since I discovered that it had hardware-acceleration first, and I've been running it ever since before they released the beta or final versions.

Next up, telling Mozilla to release a public 64-bit version of Windows, this *** is long overdue. I mean I'm running a 64-bit version of Minefield for sakes.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:13 PM

You realize you can change where all of those buttons (reload, home, etc.) are, right? Right click on the bar and choose "Customize".

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 60
Points 660
WKaye replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:36 PM

I used FireFox a lot...now I became a Google Chrome fan. it's been so long since i used FireFox. So what is new with the new FireFox??

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
mtracyino replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 9:40 PM

I always use Firefox. I used to be an IE user. But some co-workers got me into Firefox. My wife did too. I've been using it ever since. I hope Microsoft and Norton fix some compatibility issues with Firefox 4, which I'm sure they'll end up patching down the line (I mean microsoft and norton). Other than that, the browser is all gravy. It seems a bit faster and less cluttered. a lot more screen space. i give it thumbs up.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 10:21 PM

>> "...Firefox 4, which logged more than 4 million downloads in its first 24 hours..."

Nope - 7.1 Million in the first 24 hours according to the Mozilla guys: http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2011/03/23/firefox-four-day-one

So, 3 to 1 in Firefox's favor. Not surprising, when you consider that Microsoft's also lost a ton of users (nearly half their installed base, according to the W3schools) over the past couple of years to Chrome too.

The web browser is the most used app on most peoples computer. Have people finally realized that they get hacked less if they don't run the browser made by the company with the worst track record for timely security fixes? Let's hope this outbreak of sanity doesn't spill over when people realize that these same web browsers will run just as well on non-Windows OSes.

12.3 Million now, and still moving up fast.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 475
KAdair replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:28 PM

I use firefox and have for a real long time I love how its user friendly and the add-ons are a must have... The new ie 9 is actually pretty fast and im somewhat impressed but i always revert right back to firefox...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:39 PM

I am enjoying the new FF 4 and notice to improved overall snap and responsiveness . did not have so much a good time with the earlier Betas .going from FF 3.6 to 4 did keep all my optimized 'tweaks' and I did not notice a different in  placement oh well just google some  Firefox Keyboard Shortcuts

Also downloaded the Linux FF 4 .tarballs as well the Adobe flash pretty sure the newer FF 4 version trim memory a bit better and hope so ..will see & soon

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Loving it personally. IE 9 is a nice upgrade to for my work computer since we are required to use IE since they can control it through group policy. Both browsers are definitely faster and offer better support for CSS3 and HTML5 yippee.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 8:49 AM

SammyHayabuza:
I did not like the placement of the reload tab, home tab and the fact that the functions in menu bar was hidden

The orange box is there to stay, but you can configure the placement of the buttons.

I'm liking it just fine, so far. The Beta 4 wasn't good for me and I dumped it after a few days, but the full version 4.0 did the trick.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
EGerds replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:45 AM

ff 4 + noscript, ad block plus (easy list, Fanboy's list), fire gestures, ie tab plus and several others :D

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 40
MWaters replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 7:12 PM

I don't like IE at all, always have had problems. I use Google Chrome a lot but still Firefox still has me on their side.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Mar 25 2011 8:48 AM

They replaced the map with a cool Arc now that shows where all the downloads came from.

http://glow.mozilla.org/#arc/

Close to 24 million now!

Update:

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Mar 25 2011 9:57 AM

3vi1:
They replaced the map with a cool Arc now that shows where all the downloads came from.

http://glow.mozilla.org/#arc/

It doesn't call out China anymore. (or the absence of d/l's from there)

EDIT: I just figured out how to break it down to country and found 235,512 downloads from there. And that's a good start.

I really like this new version. (I figured that I would too) I like it more than the last.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 12:52 PM

realneil:

EDIT: I just figured out how to break it down to country and found 235,512 downloads from there. And that's a good start.

I really like this new version. (I figured that I would too) I like it more than the last.

I wonder if The Great Firewall of China does caching?  It seems likely, given the relatively small number of downloads for their size.  If it does, you'd only see one download until the cached content times out or is pushed out by other traffic (unless the server headers always show the content timestamp as new, which is doubtful for downloads).

I'll bet these statistics are also missing the 76 million+ Desktop Linux users (the majority of whom use FF), since they download it from their distro's repo packages - not from Mozilla's servers.

• Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS