AT&T Buys T-Mobile USA for $39 Billion

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,820
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Mar 20 2011 9:54 PM
The Big 4 Wireless Carriers in the U.S. have suddenly become the Big 3, but not in the way many were expecting. It has been said that No. 3 Sprint was discussing a possible deal with T-Mobile USA's parent, but instead, AT&T has announced it has acquired the No. 4 largest wireless carrier in the U.S. for $39 billion.

The deal makes sense because both companies use GSM technology. Sprint uses CDMA and WiMax and would have had a tougher time integrating T-Mobile's assets. The deal would make AT&T the largest carrier in the United States, by a large margin.

At the end of 2010, AT&T had 95.5 million wireless subscribers and T-Mobile had 33.7 million subscribers, for a combined total of 129.2 million subscribers if the acquisition is approved. Verizon Wireless, meanwhile, had 94.1 million wireless customers, but was expected to overtake AT&T with the Verizon iPhone's launch.

That said, AT&T trails Verizon badly in its 4G rollout. While both AT&T and T-Mobile claim HSPA+ is 4G, most call that 3.5G, and Verizon's "still not quite 4G but better" LTE has rolled out in many parts of the nation. AT&T's LTE is not expected to reach trials until mid-2011.

This probably means an end to the T-Mobile commercials in which they mock AT&T's coverage, a video of which can be seen below. Considering the size of the deal, it's likely to face extensive federal scrutiny.

In terms of Sprint, it's unclear what this means for the No. 3 largest carrier in the U.S. It could be acquired by Verizon, as the two share CDMA technology in their 3G networks. However, Sprint has focused on WiMax for 4G, which Verizon is committed to LTE.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 10:13 AM

I think the title for this article should most likely be T-Mobile customers just got royally screwed by At&t!

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
vivii replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 12:27 PM

^ no doubt im about to call and stop my plan with them =\

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 413
Points 3,190
LLeCompte replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 1:17 PM

i just started working for tmobile and this breaks my heart. Can anyone please give me some positives on this merger? I have always hated att even when i was with verizon. I have really not seen one good thing come from att.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 6:04 PM

I don't see any thing wrong in this xD. Doesn't affect me in a bad way :P lol. So will T-Mobile signal towers become AT&T towers and shared or are they going to go under two names but same owner?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 10:29 PM

I posted a critical comment on another post concerning this supposed acquisition so I'll try and put a positive spin on this one haha

Allthough AT&T has the worst service, and T-Mobile has no high end smartphones, hopefully they'll take the best of each other and end up as a company with T-Mobile's coverage, and AT&T's selection of phones compared to one thats got crap service and crap phones haha

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 1:37 PM

OSunday:

I posted a critical comment on another post concerning this supposed acquisition so I'll try and put a positive spin on this one haha

Allthough AT&T has the worst service, and T-Mobile has no high end smartphones, hopefully they'll take the best of each other and end up as a company with T-Mobile's coverage, and AT&T's selection of phones compared to one thats got crap service and crap phones haha

Define high-end smart phone, as long as you don't mean iPhone they have something.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 413
Points 3,190
LLeCompte replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 1:08 AM

the mytouch 4g, galaxy s 4g arent high end phones? What about the hd7?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS