G.Skill Launches Sniper Series Memory For High-Performance Rigs

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,802
Points 1,163,885
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Mar 16 2011 8:44 AM
A high-performance gaming rig is only as strong as its memory, and G.Skill is one of the world leaders when it comes to high performance RAM. If you're in need of a memory boost, or you're building a new machine with performance in mind, the company's new Sniper series is worth a look. It's designed in ultra-low voltage, particularly 1.25V. That can save up to 10% on electricity drain, and it will also enable power-minded gamers to push the boundaries without too many overheating problems. Or, no overheating problems if you don't take things to the extreme.

The kits that are shipping are rather large, in terms of capacity. There's a 4GB x 2 kit and a 4GB x 6 kit, so don't even bother looking if you need "just" 4GB. They'll ship in two colors (pitch-black and metallic army green), and all of the company's products ship with a lifetime warranty. No mention of a price just yet, but we're guessing they aren't super cheap.

G.Skill Launches Its New Sniper Memory Series Aimed Specifically at PC Gamers and Modding Enthusiasts!

The unique gun styled heat spreader complements the modern thought of building the most stylish gaming machine possible, while also maintaining the best in-class stability and reliability.

Taipei-Taiwan - March 14th 2011. G.Skill, the worldwide leading memory designer and manufacturer, has announced the newest concept and development of new Sniper series designed specifically for PC gamers and modding enthusiasts. Extensive compatibility tests are conducted on a wide range of Intel® and AMD platforms, which guarantee the best performance, quality and reliability for user’s gaming needs.

The New Sniper series is designed in ultra low voltage, especially 1.25V. This kit can save up to 10% electric power which will simultaneously allow gamers to enjoy smooth gaming without any overheat problems and meet energy efficiency requirements.

Gaming takes a lot of memory consuming processes, therefore, the big capacity memory kit is necessary. G.Skill Sniper series not only fulfill your needs, but also maximize your gaming experience with the range from 4GBx2 to 4GBx6.

This Sniper series comes with two stylish colors, unique pitch-black and metallic army green. Its unparallel PC gaming style can enrich all kinds of computer gears. G.Skill is ready to pull the trigger, are you?

• | Post Points: 200
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 520
Points 4,810

I like G.Skill memory and actually have 24GB of the stuff in my desktop. More memory is always nice.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 324
Points 4,305

24gb....

What do you do with all that memory??

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 177
Points 1,645
lipe123 replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 12:47 PM

24gb Ram makes farmville run ultra smooth I bet...

I'd like to upgrade my ocz stuff with a nice 4x2 kit like this though, maybe this will be a perfect b-day prezzie for me.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 87
Points 915
wil2200 replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 1:51 PM

email and web browsing

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 2:37 PM

Sniper RAM Prices are here.

SammyHayabuza:
24gb....What do you do with all that memory??

Anything he wants to,......

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 3:36 PM

Hmmm... i'm thinking on upgrading the ram when i get me prized possession hehe Marco, any update?

I dunno, i've always been a kingston, corsair kinda guy.... nothing against gskill, but i dunno, never tinkered around with their products before.

anyone else have experience with them/ opinion?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

Hey Infinity Do you do any video/audio encoding? I am thinking of maxing out my ram too, because when I render things I'm curently using almost all of my 6gb. Just wondering, since you have 24gb, if you are ever able to max that out?

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 4:42 PM

coolice:
anyone else have experience with them/ opinion?

Why yes, while I do have four 2GB sticks of Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600, (contest win) I also have twelve 2GB sticks of GSKill RipJaws DDR3-1600 RAM as well. The RipJaws OC better, Have a better Intel XMP Profile on them, and are a very pretty blood-red color.

They have a lifetime guarantee,....blah, blah, blah,.........

When I buy RAM these days, I usually look for GSKill that I can afford, and just buy it. (not too hard to do considering that they usually sell for less)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 4:48 PM

Hmmmmm.... ncix had a sale with a while bunch of gkill ram.... i think i'll just pick up the most i can for $150. 8gb's? 2 x 4gb's + the 4gb's i'm getting totaling 12 gb's.

For my use, Holy Cow... its like giving a 10 year old his very own space craft... Hey marco, if your reading this, i retract my statement, can you send me the OCZ memory specs? i'll either match them or invest in some ddr3 1600 (best bang for buck it seems). I want ram in the double digits for some reason hehe. Soo Much Processing Powaah (for a simpleton like me)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 520
Points 4,810

Actually yea I do max it out at times.  But that is a Windows Vista/7 memory management thing.  Vista and 7 will remember things you open and leave them in memory.  The more memory you have, the more stuff preloaded in memory.

Also at times I'll use 12GB as a Ram Drive, sticking my swap file and temp folders on there.  That helps with 32bit programs that normally can't use more than 2GB of ram.

*Edit*

Just checked and the numbers right now are...
Hardware reserve: 228MB
In Use: 6636MB
Modified: 123MB
Standby: 16287MB
Free: 1302MB

I'm using 16410MB for caching programs.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 6:41 PM

coolice:
i think i'll just pick up the most i can for $150.

Match what the PC comes with for the best performance. RAM works better when it's all the same.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

Thanks, still might be overkill for my uses, but thats very interesting about the swap drive.

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Not Ranked
Posts 60
Points 660
WKaye replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 8:18 PM

24?? that is just insane.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,772
Points 40,510
Inspector replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 9:59 PM

lol using 24GB of ram for email and web browsing... i barely use half of my 6GB for having like 12 tabs open at once, what do u do with 24GB... lol

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 10:21 PM

Spider Solitaire

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Fri, Mar 18 2011 12:56 AM

i'm glad to see ram turn into more visual works like the most computer components nowadays. these look great.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

Yea after reading these comments yesterday ( i was bored ok ) I opened as many chrome tabs I could. I ended up using about 5 gigs, and there had to be at least 15 chrome windows all maxed out with tabs ( at least 80, I counted )

Who says you dont need 24 gigs for browsing? I know someone needs 5000 tabs open at once.

Jeez Its time to go outside...

I do like the RAM above, looks real good, and black pcb is my favorite.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Mar 18 2011 4:48 PM

lifeskills:
I opened as many chrome tabs I could. I ended up using about 5 gigs, and there had to be at least 15 chrome windows all maxed out with tabs ( at least 80, I counted )

Yeah, but were they all playing a movie or online games?,.....Huh? Big Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,371
Points 30,955
rrplay replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 7:16 PM

what's interesting is a move to the lower voltage and they appear to be lower profile than ripjaws

will have to see how much headroom they have even with the lower volts come to think of it tehy also had the Eco series with pretty tight timings 2 1.35 v

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I personally have only used corsair memory in my higher end builds but this G.Skill memory looks to be really nice and comes with a lifetime guarantee so what do we have to lose. Anyone have any experience with their tech support or RMA process?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295
DScheive replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 6:57 AM

if i had this RAM i would use it to play Hello Kitty : Island Adventure! Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

I don't think I have maxed out my memory yet. No matter what game I am playing, ex. fallout, sims 3, MW2, GTA or crisis. The bottleneck is usually the graphics card in my case GTX285 2GB FTW. However, I wonder how this G.skill ram compares to Corsair Dominator, right now I have 6GB. Maybe I could use more. I will have to monitor my use when using Photoshop and 3ds. I think I have given myself a new project, lol. Whats the real bottleneck? One note is that a high-end rig is freakin awesome for compiling code. At work I sit there for a few mins waiting for compile, when at home it takes about 2 sec, although this may not be the intended use it works just as well. ...end of rant...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Not sure if anyone is interested but newegg started to sell these kits. I'd like to see a review to see how they stack up against some other kits in that price range.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

Drake_McNasty:
newegg started to sell these kits. I'd like to see a review to see how they stack up

I'll let you know about them. Newegg just had a sale on them and had what amounted to 25% off on each kit. So, I just bought 32GB of the 1600's in 8 sticks (four 8GB kits) and I should have them Monday or Tuesday. I hope that they're as reliable as the 2GB RipJaws 1600's that I'm using now.

Here's the link to the sale. (2-4GB sticks for 75 bucks)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Keep me posted when you get them running! That is an awesome price, I am still amazed at how cheap 8gigs of ram is now. I was actually more interested in the 1.25v kit. I wanted to see how it would preform compared to the 1.5v kits. The idea of a super low power monster has me really interested. i do some 3D and video work but i don't want a power hungry machine that just sits there the rest of the time, I need to find a good balance.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Apr 8 2011 11:54 AM

Drake_McNasty:
That is an awesome price, I am still amazed at how cheap 8gigs of ram is now.

The sale amounted to 'buy three and get one free' and I just couldn't pass it up seeing as though I had some extra money just then. I had planned on another ASUS 27" monitor, but recently moved the 36" LCD HDTV from the bedroom into the computer room and will probably hook it up in here now. The GSKill RAM brand has been good for me in the past. The ones that I have now seem to work without problems in anything I put them into. I can't say the same for the Kingston HyperX that I own.

I also think that the difference between 1.25v and 1.5v memory sticks isn't going to make much of an impact on your power bill.

Things like the size, efficiency, and quality of your power supply matter. (SeaSonic brand 80+ Bronze & Silver works for me) Most folks buy much more PSU power than they'll ever use, especially when following Video Card maker's overblown recommendations.This impacts a power meter in a big way.

Also, the brand, PCB design, and thermal properties of your video card matter. Some are far more efficient than others, but still provide respectable performance too.

The power draw of your CPU is important, and if you overclock it, that can make a big difference too. Do you need four or six cores when two or three will do?

A super low power monster is a good thing, but it will take a lot of homework to figure it out. There are plenty of websites out there that let you enter a system parts configuration, and then tell you what it's REAL power draw will be. LINK TO SEARCH

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I was planning on building everything as low power as possible, for my next build I have to buy everything except dvd drives and video card. Not sure when I'll actually get around to it. But I was actually only looking at the 80+ gold power suply's, they aren't that much more and I think it would be worth the investment in the end. I usually use the eXtreme power supply calculator (http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp) to get a rough idea of what I'll need. It seems to do a fairly good job.

Did you get your kit/kits yet?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Apr 16 2011 5:47 PM

I just got back from a trip to Pennsylvania an hour ago. We have nasty T-storms around today, so my time on the PC is limited, I turn them off and unplug them for thunderstorms.

I used the Sniper memory for a day before I left and it's performance is identical to the GSKill RipJaws 2GB DDR-3 1600 MHz. sticks that I already had. This was expected because all of the timings and specs are the same with both the 2GB and 4GB sticks. I was going for greater capacity and got it. (both of the i7-870's now have 16GB each, wheee!)

I gave four of the old 2GB sticks, and the i5-750, and the Intel DP55KG mainboard to my son in law for his next PC that my daughter is building for him. Someone wants four of the old sticks and I'll probably post the last 4 2GB sticks for sale here in a week or so.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
JHuffman replied on Fri, Apr 22 2011 2:48 PM

God I love the look. Now if only I had a computer good enough to put them in. If they are good on RMA's, I think I know what ram I will be going with from now on.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,371
Points 30,955
rrplay replied on Fri, Apr 22 2011 3:56 PM

here is a little update info with  G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR @  $99.00 + 2GB Flash drive Free!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL040711&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL040711-_-EMC-040711-Index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20231416-L07A

Designed for Intel LGA 1156 Core i5 / i7 CPUs and AMD AM3 CPUs  &  those that are considering using the mem stick with AMD should just head over here for a bit more with AMD Bios settings and timings info.http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

lots of flexibility &  headroom with these mem sticks from G.Skill

Overall  better flexibility than some Hyper X mem-sticks that have several versions in the series with different profiles that may not be all that optimal  for your cpu/mobo combo.

Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 790
EHarler replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 11:42 AM

This news seems a bit weird to me.  Comparing it to G.Skill's Ripjaw X series, they run cooler, probably more overclockable due to their low voltage, with a lower profile, and in some places are even cheaper.

Time to find some reviews!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 10:56 PM

rrplay:
8GBSR @  $99.00 + 2GB Flash drive Free

They sell this memory in kits of 8GB for much less during sales @NewEgg. Maybe not every day, but often. I paid $75.00 each for them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,371
Points 30,955
rrplay replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 11:08 PM

realneil:

rrplay:
8GBSR @  $99.00 + 2GB Flash drive Free

They sell this memory in kits of 8GB for much less during sales @NewEgg. Maybe not every day, but often. I paid $75.00 each for them.

yep Newegg can have some pretty good prices on mem just gotta get the newsletter or something like I Heard it From the Grapevine

cause those GSkill stiks are sweet

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I have a pair of Gskill sticks in my wifes machine for a couple years now and they have been great for her :) I have no doubt this sniper series will be awesome as well.

Page 1 of 1 (35 items) | RSS