Apple Makes Changes to Prevent Kids from Accidental In-App Buys

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,775
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 11 2011 1:45 AM
Apple has changed its in-app purchase policy, in wake of criticism over the ability of kids to rack up huge bills via in-app purchases. The changes come in iOS 4.3, which was released on March 9.

The new version of iOS adds another layer of security: in the past, in the first 15 minutes after an app was purchased, you didn't need to enter the iTunes password again. Parents who bought a game might hand the device over to a child, only to see a huge bill later as the children didn't understand they were racking up a bill.

However, it doesn't mean that a password needs to be entered for every in-app purchase. Once "unlocked," the in-app purchase policy means that purchases can be made for 15 minutes after the password is entered. Parents need to be remember that, and not just hand the device over.

On the other hand, parents can also disable in-app purchases altogether under Settings >> General >> Restrictions.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 9:39 AM

This is good new for some parents who have been slapped sideways with some huge surprises in their bills.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 12:24 PM

I totally agree realneil, I really just cannot believe it was not thought of or seen as an issue earlier than it has been.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS