Building a new PC

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135
bob_on_the_cob Posted: Wed, Mar 9 2011 4:19 AM

Well my PC has finally bit the dust. Mostly due to my visiting brother totally destroying. ANYWAY. Building a new one. Have right about $900 coming from my tax return which I am going to use to build a new one. Just looking at parts now and looking for opinions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157208

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150506

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144437

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133179

I'll be keeping my 750 watt Corsair PSU which is not even a year old.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Looks solid. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Wed, Mar 9 2011 2:34 PM

By my math... it looks like you have just enough left for one of these....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550

:-)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

acarzt:

By my math... it looks like you have just enough left for one of these....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550

:-)

Yeah I have this little guy right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139162

30GBs is not nearly enough for anything. With Win 7, Firefox, and a few things on the desktop I usually only have 2 or 3 GBs free. I was looking at maybe a 120Gb SSD. I can go over a bit on my budget. I'll be getting $932 from my taxes on the 18th and I'll be getting payed that day as well so I should have a few extra bucks. I have seen a lot of those Vertex 2 drives on sale. I guess the Vertex 3s are about to hit the market.

I'm really wondering if the 6 core AMD is a better choice than the 2500k Intel sandy bridge part. Both should be a upgrade from my dead Q9650, but I never really felt the need to upgrade that at this point, so I doubt I'll be hurting with either one of these parts. AMDs motherboards are a lot cheaper. I don't know if I really even need the SATA 6 and USB 3, but I guess it can't hurt.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator

bob_on_the_cob:
I'm really wondering if the 6 core AMD is a better choice than the 2500k Intel sandy bridge part.

(I hate to say this, but) Probably not. The sandy bridge will OC much higher if that's what you want to do with the PC. Sandy's also a fast encoder too. If I could buy either one, I'd go for Sandy.

If you Do go with AMD, then save a little and get the 1090T it's almost as fast, (real close to same clock speed) and it OC's to the same numbers.

I have that video card, it's a good one too.

What PSU will you use?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

realneil:

bob_on_the_cob:
I'm really wondering if the 6 core AMD is a better choice than the 2500k Intel sandy bridge part.

(I hate to say this, but) Probably not. The sandy bridge will OC much higher if that's what you want to do with the PC. Sandy's also a fast encoder too. If I could buy either one, I'd go for Sandy.

Reason I was thinking the AMD 6 core was because I don't do a lot of encoding. I do a lot of gaming and a lot of multi tasking. It's not uncommon for me to have team fortress open on one screen a HD video on the other and a minecraft server in the background. So I figured that a 6 core CPU might future proof me a bit.Idk though. I also read something today about new AMD socket coming soon and I don't really care to go from the highest end 775 CPU with no upgrade path to the highest end AM3 with no upgrade path. So Sandy bridge is looking better after some reading.

realneil:
If you Do go with AMD, then save a little and get the 1090T it's almost as fast, (real close to same clock speed) and it OC's to the same numbers.

Yeah I was looking at all 4 of the 6 core AMD cpus. They go up in price $10, $10, $20. The 1090T and the 1100T is only $20 apart. Then again if they perform the same shaving off $20 here and there can make me a higher GB SSD.

realneil:
I have that video card, it's a good one too.

Yeah. Since way back I have loved my dual monitor set up. I hate going back to one monitor. Vista and 7 screwed up playing games across them so since the eyefinity stuff came out I have really wanted to get a 3 monitor setup and play across them. Of course I don't have the money to do that now, but if I get a AMD card I can always do that at a later date should I come across the extra money. Which was the main reason to go there instead of the 560ti.

realneil:
What PSU will you use?

I see you crossed that out, but I figure I will post the exact model anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Looking at 1155(Sandy Bridge) Motherboards the only one not sold out that looks remotely interesting is this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128475

The 16/4x PCI-e slots don't really excite me all that much. 6 USB slots is decent at least, though I tend to have all mine full at any time.

Keyboard

Mouse

2x 360 controllers

N52te

iPod charger

headset

That leaves one front port for a USB stick and not much else. Maybe I am just picking this one apart, but for $150 after shipping its hard for me to just settle for the only one not sold out.

Random afterthought. I will be overclocking. I have all my watercooling parts sitting around. Just need some more tubing and coolant. Maybe a new waterblock. Not really looked to see if mine has parts for other sockets that I can order.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator

bob_on_the_cob:
Looking at 1155(Sandy Bridge) Motherboards the only one not sold out that looks remotely interesting is this one.

Sandy just got back into the neighborhood so to speak. In a week, there will be more choices, and a week later, more still. The market will be saturated with parts in no time at all.

bob_on_the_cob:
Random afterthought. I will be overclocking.

Have you read up on the OC results that they're getting with Sandy? She's a quick little wench.

bob_on_the_cob:
Reason I was thinking the AMD 6 core was because I don't do a lot of encoding. I do a lot of gaming and a lot of multi tasking. It's not uncommon for me to have team fortress open on one screen a HD video on the other and a minecraft server in the background.

This is where my P55 Systems shine. (speed and multitasking) That's why I'm in no hurry to buy the SB parts yet. My i5-750 and Intel DP55KG board (both sitting on the shelf now,...) absolutely murders whatever games I play on it. This is with the GTX-285 OR the Radeon HD5850 in it.

My two i7-870's do it even faster, with much better Video Cards in them, although it takes a benchmark program for me to actually tell any difference.

Sandy Bridge is essentially my P55 Platform, but improved in every way.  

I just don't see how you could go wrong with it, and although I really don't need it,....I WANT it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

realneil:
Sandy just got back into the neighborhood so to speak. In a week, there will be more choices, and a week later, more still. The market will be saturated with parts in no time at all.

Cool. I am not actually buying parts till the 18th so I have about 10 days for boards to come out.

realneil:

Have you read up on the OC results that they're getting with Sandy? She's a quick little wench.

I have not. I know the Phenom II parts OC very well. I just upgraded Jens PC from her aging E4300 to a Athlon II X2 255. Absolutely crushes her old CPU. All she really does is play Team Fortress 2 and a little Monday Night Combat and has been happy with her rig, but with my PC dieing I have been using hers and felt the old 1.8GHz pretty bad. I have been itching to overclock hers, but between the stock heatsink and the SFF case I am not expecting a lot out of it. Plus a dual core 3.1GHz CPU is more than enough for her.

realneil:

This is where my P55 Systems shine. (speed and multitasking) That's why I'm in no hurry to buy the SB parts yet. My i5-750 and Intel DP55KG board (both sitting on the shelf now,...) absolutely murders whatever games I play on it. This is with the GTX-285 OR the Radeon HD5850 in it.

My two i7-870's do it even faster, with much better Video Cards in them, although it takes a benchmark program for me to actually tell any difference.

Sandy Bridge is essentially my P55 Platform, but improved in every way.  

I just don't see how you could go wrong with it, and although I really don't need it,....I WANT it.

That is how I felt with my Q9650. Never really needed the upgrade. Heck I had it watercooled sitting at stock 3GHz. Most of them would reach 4GHz on air. Not much a benchmark maniac like I used to be. Being at work 2/3rds of the day the last year I have become more of a if it works it works kinda guy. I even thought about ordering a PC from IBuyPower or the like, but I still need to figure out all the parts and what not. At that point I would rather just spend the 45 minutes to build it myself.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Mar 10 2011 11:28 AM

bob_on_the_cob:
I would rather just spend the 45 minutes to build it myself

I would too. I would rather build every single time, because I like to build PC's.

Over 5.0GHz. with the "K" series CPU's dude. Stable,....on air too.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah those are some nice numbers. THe 2500k looks to overclock just as well. Which is what I am looking at since it is about $110 cheaper.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

The sandys do look promising compared to the x6 though , AM3 mobo are a bit cheaper then the new sandy mobos. 

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Der Meister:

The sandys do look promising compared to the x6 though , AM3 mobo are a bit cheaper then the new sandy mobos. 

Yeah. Think I am going to go Intel. We are getting more motherboards popping up and I still have a week before I am buying most of the parts. So I am still waiting to pick out a board.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

welcome to the dark side...lol

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Mar 12 2011 10:18 AM

The BORG will assimilate you,................

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Money is here Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Mar 16 2011 8:04 PM

Oooh!

Feel that burning in your pocket?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

realneil:

Oooh!

Feel that burning in your pocket?

Devil Oh yeah. Sitting in teamspeak talking to my buddies right now about what I my final build.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Mar 16 2011 8:51 PM

I'm jealous,.....you get to build a new one now, and the only way I can, is to take something apart first! Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Hey I am sitting here on a E4300 system that I scrapped together from spare parts. Got to do something. Can't even run my Minecraft server right now.

Sad Everyone is going threw withdrawal without Minecraft.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Mar 16 2011 9:18 PM

Ok Fine!

That I'm not jealous of,.......

But you plan on ordering when?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Indeed... When? 

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Der Meister:

Indeed... When? 

Ordered part of it last night.

MSI P67A-GD65

Intel 2500K  (Shogun Total War 2 for free Big Smile )

8GBs of ram (Got this for $70 with a coupon code)

Rosewill Blackhawk case (Really looking forward to this guy. Even picked it over the 20% off all Lain Li sale)

SteelSeries Siberia v2 Headset (In Red) If anyone is looking for anything Steel Series SWAGAWAY30 code gives you 30% off anything at there store. I saved $27 on the headset.

Still looking at GPUs and SSDs.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Mar 18 2011 10:50 AM

bob_on_the_cob:
8GBs of ram (Got this for $70 with a coupon code)

Great deal on some awesome RAM.

bob_on_the_cob:

Looked hard at this one and I like it. Newegg's house brand is getting better and better all of the time.

bob_on_the_cob:
Still looking at GPUs and SSDs

Too many variables here,.........I can recommend both of the last two GPU's that I bought. This one,.......   And this one too,....  

My only SSD is a little OCZ Agility-II, but it delivers some outstanding performance. (I just wish it were larger)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

realneil:

bob_on_the_cob:

Looked hard at this one and I like it. Newegg's house brand is getting better and better all of the time.

Yeah I was actually quite surprised. It sounds dumb, but the item I spent the longest looking around on was the case. Was looking around $100, give or take. There are a few things that drive me crazy about cheap cases. 1) paint the freaking inside. It looks so bad to have a huge window and unpainted metal imo. 2) Wire management is usually none existent . 3) Watercooling. At least have holes in the back so I can mount the radiator on the back.

I found this case pretty early. I just didnt see anything that I liked better. The Rosewill name used to through me off a bit. But this ABS keyboard I have is amazing. Didn't know at the time that ABS is also owned by newegg. They seem to be building some solid products.

realneil:

bob_on_the_cob:
Still looking at GPUs and SSDs

Too many variables here,.........I can recommend both of the last two GPU's that I bought. This one,.......   And this one too,....  

My only SSD is a little OCZ Agility-II, but it delivers some outstanding performance. (I just wish it were larger)

As far as SSD. I can wait a bit on that. The graphics cards. Those two chips are the ones I am looking at actually. I'll most likely end up with the 560 ti.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Mar 18 2011 11:58 PM

bob_on_the_cob:
It sounds dumb, but the item I spent the longest looking around on was the case.

Actually, not dumb at all. You're gonna be face to face with that case for years. (sort of like getting married) Getting one that aesthetically pleases me is a top priority when I buy one. You have to build in it, it has to keep those expensive parts cool without sounding like a wind tunnel, and it has to look good too. A lot goes into designing a good case and one should spend the time to pick the one that's right in every way.

bob_on_the_cob:
The graphics cards. Those two chips are the ones I am looking at actually. I'll most likely end up with the 560 ti.

They're both really nice performers. Overall,...the GTX-560 Ti's Cuda and PhysX capabilities are the deciders for me.

When I bought the 6870, the 560 Ti wasn't released yet or I would have bought it instead.

I'm really not sorry that I got the 6870,.......it really does a fine job for me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

560 TI all the way

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Just finished the build. Got the trusty old 8800GTS 320MB in there for now. Is it sad that I download FF and hit up HH first thing?

This case BTW is awesome. The little rubber things kept coming off the wire management hole thingies every time I pushed a wire through, but other than that totally impressed with the case. As far as everything else goes I'll let you know. Off to download steam and my free copy of Shogun 2!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 7:37 AM

Cool, I'm glad it went OK for you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 2:48 PM

Congrats on the build! Save of for one of those new Vertex 3 SSDs! Those drives are awesome!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 9:38 PM

OK Bob, how does it run? You liking it so far?

And for your information, there are now three MSI GTX-560Ti Twin Frozr cards to choose from. Yow-za!

One of them has a pure copper Cooler on it and it looks pretty nice. Another is the "Super OC version" and it's looking good too.

LINKY

Page 1 of 1 (31 items) | RSS