Kingston HyperX Sheds Old Digs, Comes Dressed in New Heatspreader

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,748
Points 1,210,300
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 8 2011 10:33 AM
Kingston's HyperX memory line has been sporting those trademark blue heatspreaders for as long as we can remember, and they still are, only now they've been updated a tad. The new look HyperX Genesis line now boasts a blue color heatspreader with a military/ballistic trim running across the top, similar to what you'd find on the Genesis Special Edition Grey modules designed for Intel's Sandy Bridge platform.

Other than the new digs, the HyperX line is exactly as you remember it, right down to the SKUs. Part numbers and performance will remain the same, as will the frequencies. Kingston says it's currently transitioning all SKUs in the Genesis family to use the the new heatspreader, which range from 1333MHz to 2133MHz and are available in single, dual-, and triple-channel configurations.

So, what's the verdict on the new design? Like it, hate it, or decidedly indifferent?
  • | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
h2online replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 11:12 AM

definitely prefer the old design

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 11:52 AM

h2online:
definitely prefer the old design

Not me,....these look like they'd stay cooler with the vent holes in them.

The four 2GB HyperX DDR3-1600's that I have now have never had any overheating issues though.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,650
coolice replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 12:39 PM

WELL.... to me, it really doest matter. When i'm using a computer, i'm not looking at the RAM sticks....

if putting holes in it can make em cooler... hell, do it.

I'm looking at my monitor/keyboard etc 99.999999% of the time. The other .00000001 of the time i'm looking for a usb port when i cant find it in the dark, or the dvd drive eject button hahaha.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Vents in heat spreaders...WOW... how do they come up with these breakthroughs?!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 1:51 PM

lol....yeah the design of heat spreaders on ram is pretty much a non-issue for me. More important is tight timings and stability.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator

coolice:
When i'm using a computer, i'm not looking at the RAM sticks

Ok, but how do you account for the decided trend in color matched components in PC's?

They actually sell Mainboards that have pieces on them that look like machine-gun parts now!

(SAY-WHAT?)

All of them are crowing about "Military-Class" components, and where that applies to chokes, solid caps, and ferrite cores, it's a good thing for the sake of stability and longevity. But heatsinks that look like ammo-clips? Give me a break.

I've read online reviewers that actually take points off of products if they don't like how they look, or if they don't match other mainstream parts.

Slick Marketing has managed to make this important to the typical consumer these days.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 430
Grady56 replied on Mon, Apr 4 2011 8:01 AM

Hey, marketing is marketing right? They have to get there money somehow right? I guess if people want color coded MB's and hardware, they're obviously gonna sell it :)

^.^ Don't Look Back Or You'll Fall Over Whats Ahead Of You ^.^

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator

Grady56:
Hey, marketing is marketing right? They have to get there money somehow right? I guess if people want color coded MB's and hardware, they're obviously gonna sell it :)

Exactly my point. If there is a sudden all out fascination with Pink Tasmanian Devils then you can bet that you'll start seeing them in products right away. But it used to be that the best combination of high performance parts fused with the most features was all we wanted. The 'way a mainboard looked' applied only to how your parts would fit onto it and stay cool while there. Is there room for that CPU heatsink and fan?  Does the RAM stand too tall?

Making it look pretty, or look tough like a warrior, or even a killing machine is a waste as I see it. But the next time that I want a Mainboard for a system, if a "highly-decorated" mainboard has the best specs, or the most favorable reviews, I'll buy it for that reason.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS