Amped Wireless Makes Wi-Fi Signals Easier To Catch

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,740
Points 1,209,630
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Mar 6 2011 8:27 PM
It's one of the most frustrating things for a computer user: being just barely out of range from a Wi-Fi signal. But thankfully, there are a few new products that help solve that, one of which comes from Amped Wireless. The company's made a business out of range extension, and now there's a new couple that extends wireless range to your Mac or Windows PC, so long as there's an open USB port. The UA150C and the UA600 High Power WiFi USB Adapters promise users the ability to connect to 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n WiFi networks from up to two to three times greater distance than other wireless adapters through the use of power amplifiers and high gain antennas.  

As with all Amped Wireless products, the High Power WiFi USB Adapters use advanced WiFi amplifiers to boost wireless reception and performance. Standard WiFi adapters feature a wireless output power of 50mW (milliwatts), while Amped Wireless WiFi adapters feature 100mW of output power for the UA150C and 600mW of output power for the more powerful UA600. The boosted performance is then optimally tuned and paired with high gain WiFi antennas (3 to 5 dBi antenna gain) for maximum range output. Typical WiFi devices do not utilize wireless amplifiers and are equipped with antennas that have zero antenna gain.

The UA150C will have a MSRP of $49.99 and an estimated shelf price of $39.99. The UA600 will have a MSRP of $69.99 and an estimated shelf price of $59.99. Both products are available in select walk-in retailers, online retailers or direct from the Amped Wireless Online Store now. Need a boost? Looks like you've found your peripheral!

AMPED WIRELESS EXTENDS THE RANGE AND PERFORMANCE OF YOUR MAC OR WINDOWS PC WITH HIGH POWER WIFI USB ADAPTERS

Amped Wireless unveils its line of High Power long range wireless solutions. The UA150C and the UA600 High Power WiFi USB Adapters extends the range of your Mac or Windows computer.

Chino Hills, CA - Amped Wireless specializes in providing high power, long range wireless (WiFi and Cellular) consumer and business communication products for the home and office. The Amped Wireless High Power WiFi USB Adapters are the first of such solutions for consumers and businesses that require more WiFi performance for their Windows or Mac based laptops and desktop computers. The high performance, High Power WiFi USB Adapters allow your PC or Mac to connect to 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n WiFi networks from up to two to three times greater distance than other wireless adapters through the use of power amplifiers and high gain antennas.  

Amped Wireless Difference: High Power Technology

As with all Amped Wireless products, the High Power WiFi USB Adapters use advanced WiFi amplifiers to boost wireless reception and performance. Standard WiFi adapters feature a wireless output power of 50mW (milliwatts), while Amped Wireless WiFi adapters feature 100mW of output power for the UA150C and 600mW of output power for the more powerful UA600. The boosted performance is then optimally tuned and paired with high gain WiFi antennas (3 to 5 dBi antenna gain) for maximum range output. Typical WiFi devices do not utilize wireless amplifiers and are equipped with antennas that have zero antenna gain.

Key Features
* Add long range WiFi connectivity for your Mac or Windows PC
    * High power amplifiers and high power antennas provide maximum distance and performance
    * Easy to install, connects to your computer with high speed USB 2.0
    * Upgradable antennas for more range with Amped Wireless high power antennas
    * Universal: Works with all brands of 2.4GHz wireless b/g/n  routers and networks

Product Models

The High Power WiFi USB Adapters come in two models with different speed and range aspects:

UA150C: High Power Wireless-150N Compact USB Adapter
Travel friendly WiFi adapter with 100mW power amplifier and 3dBi high gain antenna. Get up to 2x the range of standard WiFi adapters.

UA600: High Power Wireless-300N 600mW USB Adapter
300Mbps (Rx) WiFi adapter with a 600mW power amplifier and 5dBi high gain antenna. Get up to 3x the range of standard WiFi adapters.

Pricing and Availability

The UA150C will have a MSRP of $49.99 and an estimated shelf price of $39.99. The UA600 will have a MSRP of $69.99 and an estimated shelf price of $59.99. Both products are available in select walk-in retailers, online retailers or direct from the Amped Wireless Online Store now.

For more information about Amped Wireless and High Power WiFi Smart Repeaters please visit: http://www.ampedwireless.com/family/adapters.html
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,650
coolice replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:09 AM

though i dont want to admit it.... i wouldnt mind shedding 70$ for this device.... there have been times when i would have loved to work in the backyard i nthe summer, but cant cause i dont have an internet connection. my dir-615 aint powahful enough to broadcast that far

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 9:49 AM

"Typical WiFi devices do not utilize wireless amplifiers and are equipped with antennas that have zero antenna gain."

They say that like it's a bad thing.

When you add passive gain to an antennae you focus it and create a more narrow beamwidth. Yes, this will make it go further... but this could be a potential problem if you live in a 2 story home.

I don't know how narrow the signal will be, as I do not have access to a heat map of this antennae... but it's something to be aware of.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 9:59 AM

Also... it fails to mention that, it does not matter how powerful these things are if you router cannot send the signal that far... You can only send and receive as far as the weakest link.

Not Ranked
Posts 60
Points 660
WKaye replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 12:17 AM

i think i would rather stay LAN, I live in a small apartment and with wireless N. to me, it doesnt make a difference unless i am playing games. I dont want to Lag, because it makes a difference.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 9:08 AM

Bandwidth has nothing to do with lag... it's all about your latency(ping).

Ping google.com on wireless and on wired. See if there is a big difference. The smaller the number the better.

My bet is there won't be much of a difference if any.

I got:

Wired -128ms

Wireless - 130ms

A difference you will not notice :-)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
noob123 replied on Wed, May 4 2011 11:38 PM

This thing sounds like what I need.

Can anyone give me any thoughts on my idea.

I need wi-fi to go down (1 direction) about 300-400 feet.  If I get this would I need any extenders?  Along the way there will be a few connections to the network.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
skymanp replied on Sat, Jul 16 2011 1:17 PM

Hey I'm new to this home networking thing and I'm unsure exactly what I am doing but I do know that I want to be able to have a setup exactly like this.  I have a few of the components but I do not know nothing about wireless bridging, if thats the correct term for it.  I have basically the essentials but I'm not exactly sure how to hook them up using the router/repeater in order to make sure that this setup works.  Have a look below and if any of you have any ideas as to what I need to buy to make this work please let me know.

I also was looking on another site which has repeaters because I'm not sure if I should spend some more money getting a half decent one rather than that router/repeater which I have which came with my ISP company as its not the greatest.  I took a look at the ones on wifi repeater reviews and they happen to have a bunch of reviews.  The amped wireless ones seem to get a lot of attention so I'm just curious if I should get one?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
noob123 replied on Sat, Jul 16 2011 6:08 PM

Don't know exactly how the Xbox connects wirelessly.  But for me, I was able to repeat the signal 300 feet through a lot of walls and through several buildings.

Best place to start is http://dd-wrt.com/site/index this is the technology that repeats the signal.  So you can get some old beater router I have one wrt54g and that is one of the routers I am using.  Go to the dd-wrt.com website, check if the router you are thinking of purchasing supports the dd-wrt firmware.  You might want to read a little about the router you are purchasing.  I started with a d-link n615 and the thing lasted 3 days.  I'm currently using one WRT54G Linksys and bought 6 of the Linksys E1000 routers and it is pretty stable.  Have to reset one of the routers every so often but stable enough that I do not have to worry that much.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
wyuguy replied on Wed, Sep 28 2011 2:57 AM
I always had problems connecting to the internet at the other end of the house until I got this. I've tried other repeaters before but they just didn't work right. This Amped wifi repeater is just perfect. It works great and setup was simple.
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
CMaginnis replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 12:45 PM

If you start chaining wifi repeaters like I had to a few months back you really start seeing a difference though. I guess it helps though if you're using better repeaters. I got a review of the Amped wireless repeater and I've been using it without problems for a while now.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS