Samsung Nexus S with Gingerbread Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,820
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 1 2011 12:33 PM

Samsung Nexus S With Gingerbread ReviewGoogle's Nexus S smartphone has a lot of attractive features, but the one that attracts the most attention is the fact that this smartphone is the first to ship with the latest version of the Android smartphone operating system—version 2.3. Otherwise known as Gingerbread, this OS is said to be the fastest version of Android yet. In addition to Gingerbread, the Nexus S touts a 4-inch Super AMOLED display, a 1GHz Hummingbird processor, and 16GB of internal memory.

Although the Nexus S is the sequel to Google's Nexus One smartphone, Google is taking a different approach with this product. Whereas the Nexus One was only offered through Google's website, the Nexus S is available through Best Buy stores...

Samsung Nexus S with Gingerbread Review

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,620
coolice replied on Tue, Mar 1 2011 2:12 PM

Good review, though as a whole, i'm a little disappointed at the Nexus S....I always presumed that when a google branded phone would come, it would be a top of line device that would set the tone for other phone companies to follow, match and surpass.

Sure the screens beautiful, and we have 16gbs of iNAND and most importantly gingerbread, annnd perhaps the NFC.... but apart from that, theres nothing revolutionary. Look at the difference between the original G1 and nexus one.... now that was change.... nexus one -> nexus S? not so much.

Just a thought.

Oo, i had a question that i couldnt determine myself when looking at videos. I can see the phone is contoured, is the actual LCD panel also a tad bit curved? or is that wishful thinking on my part.

Oh and about the keyboard, YEP, i have the G/Bread kebo on my milestone... its fantastic! my only problem with phones with no navigation keys/capabilities is when i'm sending a text and i want to edit out a few words etc, its a pain in the ass to get the cursor in between letters/words.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Brains replied on Tue, Mar 1 2011 2:59 PM

Didn't see the iPhone 4 listed in the results. So what the heck, I tested mine on WiFi, since 3G is more network dependent and could be all over the map and isn't very useful IMHO. Anyway.

Ookla's speedtest.net app: 22Mbit down, 20Mbit up.

Xtreme Labs app (avg numbers): 16067Kbits/s down, 713Kbits/s up.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Sorry to point out the elephant in the room, but where tf is iPhone 4? Or was this article written 1 year ago?

iPhone 4 results:

Sunspider 0.9.1: 10625ms +/- 1.2%

Linspack: Avg: 33.30 Max: 36.09 MFlops

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Mar 1 2011 8:11 PM

Unfortunately we didn't have access to an iPhone 4 for this article or it would have been in there. Also, our entire suite of handset benchmarks aren't available on iOS platform.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,620
coolice replied on Tue, Mar 1 2011 8:31 PM

Hey dave, i'm curious, what do you do with the device(s) after the review's completed? and how did you attain it in the first place? did google send it? or T-mobile? or did you approach a company?

I'm just very curious as to how all these websites/forums operate (including HH). How do you guys generate revenue etc. I'm taking this course about ebusiness right now, and i started thinking about HH. anywho, its just me twidling my thumbs.

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Tue, Mar 1 2011 10:19 PM

yeah; I was looking at one of these the other day. It is a nice unit all the way around, but of course you have to sign a contract with T-mobile unless you got over 500 to throw at it. I will not pay that much for a phone smart or just featured period. I have been thinking about waiting for all these super dual core phones to hit the market, and then pick up an Epic/EVO or grab a Droid X most likely and throw it on MetroPCS. I am talking about when the prices start dropping in a couple a month with dual core all over the place.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

All modern SP's suck balls. WTF you going to do with12hrs juice?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 3:21 PM

Now that Sprint has it I find it more interesting, but for the same price or roughly so you can get a dual core etc phone with better cameras etc. The only thing on top of this is if you are an enthusiast with these units as in general a Nexus user would be you are gonna root whatever phone you use eventually. So the default android while it is cool is not really very much of a big deal as you can grab it as a root for any smart phone including an iPhone. SO this one seems to be a little late to the game capability wise.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS