Shortcuts

Members Bios settings for overclocking reffrence.

This post has 23 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Points 2,815
4hams Posted: Fri, Feb 25 2011 12:38 PM

I'd like to start a thread in the Overclocking section where members can post their tweaked Bios settings for the hardware they use. 

Members should list CPU, Ram, Motherboard and cooling used to achieve their overclock. 

I am a member of a number of different forums regarding hardware and overclocking and I keep seeing new members asking for such settings.  if we can build a thread with a large number of member entries I think it would be something the search engines would pick up on a regular basis when folks are searching the net for such information, thus attracting new members or at least visitors to hot Hardware? 

If I start a thread like this would members here participate?  Could it be made into a Sticky in the Overclocking section? 

The thread would also have a disclaimer at the begging that HH is not responsible for damage to hardware as these settings are only posted as guides.  It could also have information about cooling and the importance of it for proper operation of a computer. 

Well what do ya think is this something worthwhile or am I wasting my time even thinking about it? 

Let me know what ya think, both management and members please! 

i7 920 @ 4.1
ASUS P6X58D Premium
G.SKILL DDR3 2000
PATRIOT INFERNO 100GB OCZ Vertex 60GB 
HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
Seasonic 80 PLUS GOLD X-SERIES 750W
CORSAIR H50 Push/Pull
HP 19" f1905b
Windows 7 PRO 64Bit
CM STORM SNIPER (Black Edition)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,544
Points 54,480
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Feb 25 2011 12:51 PM

Heya 4hams,

I'd say it's worth it for sure.  If you set it up right and it looks good, we'll definitely sticky if for you.

Thanks!

Dave

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Points 2,815
4hams replied on Fri, Feb 25 2011 12:57 PM

Dave_HH:

Heya 4hams,

I'd say it's worth it for sure.  If you set it up right and it looks good, we'll definitely sticky if for you.

Thanks!

Dave

I'll see what i can come up with in the next day or so! 

Thanks Dave! 

Now the question is would other members participate?

i7 920 @ 4.1
ASUS P6X58D Premium
G.SKILL DDR3 2000
HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
CORSAIR H50 Push/Pull
HP 19" f1905b
Windows 7 PRO 64Bit

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,544
Points 54,480
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Feb 25 2011 1:04 PM

I think so.  What section were you thinking it fits best in?  I think the tweaking section, which is at the bottom unfortunately. We have to consolidate some forums and I can move that one up a bit.  Will look at it today if I can.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Points 2,815
4hams replied on Fri, Feb 25 2011 1:17 PM

So long as it is a Sticky which ever overclocking area you want it in does not really matter. 

But if a sticky it would be easy for member to see. 

I have to run out but will try to figure out a decent format later...

i7 920 @ 4.1
ASUS P6X58D Premium
G.SKILL DDR3 2000
HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
CORSAIR H50 Push/Pull
HP 19" f1905b
Windows 7 PRO 64Bit

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

4hams:

Dave_HH:

Heya 4hams,

Thanks!

Dave

I'll see what i can come up with in the next day or so! 

Thanks Dave! 

Now the question is would other members participate?

I think thats a good idea!! I think its definatly some usefull info for anyone !

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

4hams:
The thread would also have a disclaimer at the begging that HH is not responsible for damage to hardware as these settings are only posted as guides.  It could also have information about cooling and the importance of it for proper operation of a computer. 

I also think this is an important piece of info! Anytime you take you computer beyound its intended stock parameters you have to understand the possibilties of negative impact on your rig and accept the consequenses!  LOL Im not real sure of my spelling but you know what I mean! LOL

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Points 2,815
4hams replied on Sun, Feb 27 2011 11:41 AM

Thanks for your input amdcrankitup! 

I am hoping for a little more response here to see weather other members would participate before starting it?

i7 920 @ 4.1
ASUS P6X58D Premium
G.SKILL DDR3 2000
HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
CORSAIR H50 Push/Pull
HP 19" f1905b
Windows 7 PRO 64Bit

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sun, Feb 27 2011 5:46 PM

4hams:

I am hoping for a little more response here to see weather other members would participate before starting it?

hey 4hams I remember taking a n interest around the previous holidays to revive a bit of the OC guide here in HH  maybe get some  updated info with cooling thermal and some links to for clocking and monitoring app linked in here  will give it a go and you an count on my help if you want it.

the OC guides section was here 

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/40875.aspx?PageIndex=4

seems like a few of could share a bit and get some of this going again and get something posted up for the commmunity

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Points 2,815
4hams replied on Sun, Feb 27 2011 7:35 PM

rrplay:

4hams:

hey 4hams I remember taking a n interest around the previous holidays to revive a bit of the OC guide here in HH  maybe get some  updated info with cooling thermal and some links to for clocking and monitoring app linked in here  will give it a go and you an count on my help if you want it.

seems like a few of could share a bit and get some of this going again and get something posted up for the commmunity

Thanks for your reply rrplay! 

I have started a new thread in the Overclocking section regarding bios settings.  please have a look and please share with us your bios settings for a successful overclock. 

Here is a link to the thread. 

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/53962/387116.aspx#387116

Could a Moderator be so kind as to lock this thread so we can continue with the new one.

i7 920 @ 4.1
ASUS P6X58D Premium
G.SKILL DDR3 2000
HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
CORSAIR H50 Push/Pull
HP 19" f1905b
Windows 7 PRO 64Bit

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,245
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Feb 27 2011 8:06 PM

My ASRock P55-PRO boards have an EZ setting in BIOS that does it all for you auto-magically. Yeah, my systems all run at 3.8GHz, (up from 2.93GHz.) but I don't do anything except set ONE thing in BIOS and reboot! Ha-Ha! (but I DO start with quality system parts)

I should start an Idiot's guide to overclocking next!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sun, Feb 27 2011 8:14 PM

4hams:

rrplay:

4hams:

Thanks for your reply rrplay! 

I have started a new thread in the Overclocking section regarding bios settings.  please have a look and please share with us your bios settings for a successful overclock. 

Here is a link to the thread. 

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/53962/387116.aspx#387116

Could a Moderator be so kind as to lock this thread so we can continue with the new one.

hey 4hams it looks greaaat

I got the rough draft outl;ine to post and cannot as before see PM to you

links a re good for what we wanna share and post  

way to go 4hams !!!!

that BIOS format is way cool and looks great SmileSmile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sun, Feb 27 2011 8:18 PM

realneil:

My ASRock P55-PRO boards have an EZ setting in BIOS that does it all for you auto-magically. Yeah, my systems all run at 3.8GHz, (up from 2.93GHz.) but I don't do anything except set ONE thing in BIOS and reboot! Ha-Ha! (but I DO start with quality system parts)

I should start an Idiot's guide to overclocking next!

I have an idiot guide to post since 12 22 and it's locked to go in the  tweaks section jneeds a bit more input but could be good to get kick started

HH tweak OC guide draft-post.txt

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 12:55 AM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 5:53 AM

eunoia:

The disclaimer's a great idea if you're going to do this, because no two systems are exactly alike and posting OC templates for the novices here to see is decidedly a bad idea.

the Disclaimer is an absolute must !  & just punching in someone else template can certainly reek havoc.but does show what has been achieved.

That is why having a general guide to help one evaluate what they would like to achieve and accomplish with their setup would be helpful for some users to get much better overall performance.Examples like adequate PSU quality and adequate chassis cooling to start as well as a user preparing to OC ,,& taking the necessary time with some of the proper utilities that are pretty much standard to do so....along with possible screen shots if needed for monitoring safe temps.and results.

since there are several forums that specialize in OC & I def recognize 4hams in several others maybe we can get some of that going on here as well

it is a bit of an undertaking [ time restraints ? ]  and would likely need a few interested to do so.Smile

thanks

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

You guys bear with me Im be in hear soon got a family crisis going on this morning but Im interested in this idea!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Points 2,815
4hams replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 10:37 AM | Locked

I think I have managed to lock this thread so the discussion and participation can continue in this thread here. 

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/53962/387129.aspx#387129

i7 920 @ 4.1
ASUS P6X58D Premium
G.SKILL DDR3 2000
HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
CORSAIR H50 Push/Pull
HP 19" f1905b
Windows 7 PRO 64Bit

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Definitely interested here.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015
dadodgeson replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 10:43 PM

i like it Cool

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 10:55 AM

Well if interested then be sure to post with your specs OC  temps & results  at http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/53962/387129.aspx#387129  

It;'s already nicely laid out with what you are likely to encounter .on your screen with the apps and tools .One of the posts by amdcrankitup shows some pics of his actually Bios screens which is a great idea in case you BSOD and would like to get back to previous Bios tweaks when working with dif Bios settings.Usually those BSOD errors are caused by lack vcore and can be resolved by a slight bump' provided  that you are monitoring your temps

the offshoot thread is primarily for GPU OC monitoring temps and setting a fan profile etc.General comments and evaluations for possible better thermal and cooling performance are considered as well as getting quite  a bit better noticeable overall performance with your rig.Others sometimes realize that simply upgrading some case fans can make a huge difference.

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/54045.aspx

Besides some of those tests are Fun & the gain may be more than expected.Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 175
elisa replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 1:59 AM

eunoia:

The disclaimer's a great idea if you're going to do this, because no two systems are exactly alike and posting OC templates for the novices here to see is decidedly a bad idea.

This.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 8:39 AM

elisa:
eunoia:
This.

*** The Discalimer apperars in the thread mentioned below along with a lot of useful application  links and members screen shots

Bios settings for overclocking your rig. (A guide for the rest of us)

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/53962/387129.aspx

4hams:

IMPORTANT! 
Please remember that there is always a risk of damage to your hardware when overclocking. That is why it is very important to monitor your system and its temperatures while overclocking. The information in this thread is of a voluntary nature supplied by the members of this forum.  The forum members and HOT HARDWARE will not be held responsible for any damage caused by improper overclocking!

This is not a guide, rather it is a list of the settings used by members to attain their overclocks for their systems.

[ thanks 4hams for allowing me to 'borrow' the Disclaimer ]

& oh yeah Welcome to HotHardware elisa ! Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 8:29 PM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 10:43 PM

Another disclaimer for Bios Flashing it this one was mentioned in the GPU clocking thread it would also apply to main boards

IMPORTANT!  Please remember that there is always a risk of damage to your hardware when re-flashing the bios. That is why it is very important to gather all the pertinent information about the procedure before attempting such a modification to your mainboard or card. The information in this thread is of a voluntary nature supplied by the members of this forum.  The forum members and HOT HARDWARE will not be held responsible for any damage caused from a improper Bios re-flash ! 

There is also another one for downloads in one of the threads previously mentioned

Disclaimer : Always be sure to check that you are receiving absolutely clean malware free downloads Note that you should be in the good  habit of scanning your downloads with a reliable Anitvirus Anti Malware Application.

***Nothing all that new the Disclaimers to be included they have been around in the clocking and stress threads for quite some time. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS