Spring Design's Alex E-Reader Bites The Dust

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,873
Points 1,172,860
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 23 2011 1:08 PM
Remember Spring Design's Alex? That was an e-reader that had tons of potential just over a year ago, and today, it's no more. Proving yet again just how difficult it is to compete with giants in the industry such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble, Spring Design has decided that the Alex simply cannot keep up with the competition, and according to a spokeswoman for the company, it's being laid to rest for good. Here's the exact quote:

"It's out of stock. It is our understanding that the investor stopped the money."

There was no extra information given, but no more money generally means no more product. The Alex had a tough road right from launch. The company was charging $399 for an e-reader, and while Android was available on the second screen, that's generally not enough to convince someone to pay tablet pricing for a standalone e-reader. The design was certainly unique, with a dual-screen 6" e Ink display, a second 3.5" Android-powered touch panel and built-in Wi-Fi. But there was no integrated (and free) 3G like there is with the Kindle, and that probably led to its demise.

Either way, it's a tough day to see one of our own fall, but such is life in this cutthroat industry.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 11:59 AM

Another one bites the dust

And another one gone, and another one gone

Hey, I'm gonna get you too

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
neotech replied on Sun, Mar 6 2011 1:29 PM

I think you better buy kindle . It is clear that the alex reader were given enough money by Nook as the Nook has obviouly stolen this little companies design.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS