California School System Provides GPS Trackers To School Skippers

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,980
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Feb 20 2011 11:02 AM
It was only a matter of time. In order to keep kids coming to class, the Anaheim Union High School District is implementing a controversial new system: giving out GPS units for students to track there whereabouts. It's honestly not as invasive as it sounds at first, but it's still pushing the envelope of "comfort" and "privacy." The system is designed to hand out tracking devices to students and parents if the kid (in 7th or 8th grade) has over four unexcused absences this year. If the parents and kid agrees, they're given a cellphone-sized GPS device that asks them to check-in at various times during the day -- all a way to help them avoid skipping class.

Each student with a tracker also gets a coach who calls them at least three times per week to see how things are going. The school district feels that kids who skip class are way more likely to join a gang or otherwise get into trouble, so keeping them in the classroom is good for a number of reasons. The good news is that this is a volunteer program, and it's designed to teach better habits rather than to feel like punishment.

It's still quite odd, and will likely take some getting used to. Obviously, not everyone is totally supportive of the measure, but we have to ask: if your kid was skipping class constantly, would you want something like this in his/her pocket?
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Feb 21 2011 8:01 AM

There is a heavy gang presence in that town. The kids will most likely be under pressure from them to participate or face serious consequences. I wouldn't want to be a kid there, and in these times.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Mon, Feb 21 2011 9:20 AM

That is very true in this location as well as many others nationwide realneil. This actually seems like a good idea, I also think something of the nature would be relevant to kids or individuals in general who get in trouble. I could see it implemented easily as a requirement for probationary action. I also do not think it would be a bad idea in either case. This can of course be seen negatively, but if you are under 18 or on probation you would not, nor should you have any way to fight it. As it stands if you are under 18 you are at first a ward of your parent, and if your on probation you are a ward of the state until said probation is finished.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,620
coolice replied on Mon, Feb 21 2011 10:55 AM
Hmm, cant the kid just give the tracking device to a friend? i cant believe this does not breach some form of a privacy law? but then again, the student and the parent agree to it. Yep r/n, your right, i wouldnt want to be a kid there either.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Mon, Feb 21 2011 5:31 PM

Ya what coolice said, i mean its only a device, u can leave it at home for all u care... What are u getting out of it?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Mon, Feb 21 2011 10:45 PM

Bender (regarding kids watching too much inappropriate TV): "Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your children, and hitting them?"

I'm pretty sure the same approach would work wonders for skipping school.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 324
Points 4,305

Hey Neil, Did you noticed the Pic in this article.... those kids look don't look like the the typical gang members!!

Now thats more like it.

But seriously, this isn't the solution, sure but it might save a few kids, but I see this as nothing more than a research experiment for a GPS related company or product that's putting a few bucks on some Anaheim Union District School officials pockets.

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS