Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert Return to Hulu

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:18 PM

HuluHulu has struck a content deal with Viacom that returns "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and "The Colbert Report" to Hulu.com and brings shows from other networks to the subscription service, Hulu Plus. At the same time, Hulu's CEO hinted that the days of fully free access to the service might be numbered.

The agreement covers shows on Comedy Central, MTV, BET, VH1, Spike TV and TV Land. As of February 2, current, full episodes, of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and "The Colbert Report" became available on the free Hulu.com service as well as Hulu Plus.

Now, if you want more highbrow stuff from Viacom than Comedy Central's two famed news parody shows, you can get that on the paid version of Hulu, and you'll have to wait 21 days to do so. Subscribers will be treated to shows like Jersey Shore, Tosh.0, Teen Mom 2, Manswers, Let's Stay Together, and Hot in Cleveland.(Someone would pay to watch Jersey Shore?)

This was a major score for Hulu. The site has seen its popularity rise as increasing numbers of consumers buy consumer toys that make streaming Web video every bit as good as watching TV the old fashioned way, and with far fewer commercials.

Viacom pulled The Daily Show and The Colbert Report from Hulu.com nearly a year ago in what was widely publicized as the first major fracture between content producers and the online service. Hulu is owned by rival content producers, NBC Universal, News Corporation (Fox television) and The Walt Disney Company and had struggled to figure out a profitable business model until now. Viacom simply wanted more money to air its gems on Hulu -- and at the time Hulu didn't have it.

Fast forward a year, and Hulu seems to be everywhere. It is even developing an Android app, promised for later this year. Hulu's CEO, Jason Kilar, said he expects Hulu Plus to hit over 1 million subscribers in 2011. It launched in November, and, although subscribers still get the commercials, they don't have to wait 21 days to see them embedded into their favorite shows, available whenever they want to see them. It costs $7.99/month.

Hulu

Hulu also claims it is now rolling in revenue. Kilar used the Viacom announcement to declare that Hulu makes more money per ad than traditional television because, thanks to the DVR, most of us out there in viewer land don't watch the too-many commercials thrown at us. Hulu expects to see a half billion in revenue from advertising in 2011, up from half that in 2010, and from $108 million in 2009.

Then, in the middle of all that crowing about how great per-user subscription services are for content makers, Kilar said this, "We believe that all studios and networks will recognize that it is in their economic interest to insist on per-user per-month pricing in all their distribution relationships (library content and current content)."

So, now that he's got a subscription service, he thinks it's best that content providers (such as Comedy Central, perhaps?)  stop freely offering their TV shows on the Web to viewers? (Hey, if they stop, then Hulu can stop.) That truly is in everyone's best interest, except the viewer, who is to pay for the service, and watch the ads.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 11:33 PM

>> Hulu has struck a content deal with Viacom that returns "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and "The Colbert Report" to Hulu.com and brings shows from other networks to the subscription service, Hulu Plus.

Yay! I'll watch more Hulu!

>> At the same time, Hulu's CEO hinted that the days of fully free access to the service might be numbered.

Boo! I'm not watching Hulu!

All I've really watched on Hulu so far is Moonbase and every episode of Cleopatra 2525. So, as I see it, Hulu owes me about seven thousand dollars.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 12:06 AM

Oh cool!... too bad the CRTC doesnt give a sh-- about Canadians and chokes innovation.

Dave, Marco, Admins, i'm really sorry if i'm spamming my cause to gain freedom on some comments here oh HH, but us Canucks need to get out of our igloos and fight for whats right!

If your a canadian, please vote!

http://openmedia.ca/meter

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,594
Points 54,955
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 12:14 AM

All good, relevant and on-topic enough I guess , Cool. :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:35 AM

Good news coolice: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/932571--ottawa-to-reverse-crtc-decision-on-internet-billing?bn=1

Looks like their usage-based billing will be rescinded.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 10:01 AM

I agree as well if a cause is applicable and from what yours is seemingly very well worth it as well as a concern for people in general. I think if we have a bigger badder and more secure internet world wide we have a better world. I do feel sorry for the land line phone companies, but that tech has been dead for years to me now. I personally think the government should implement at least evaluation of some rapid turn around research at least on a 5G standard if not a 6G. This would be a lower cost solution world wide to all communications it would seem to me.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 6:52 PM

We;re on a good path, BUT the federal govt. is known for its mischievousness... they said its under review... its not been denied yet fully... its just another way of altering the bad news.. .make it seem good.

The Fight is Far from over!! but we're at a good start!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 7:49 PM

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I'd hate to see this spread across the continent.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 10:07 PM

Thank you 3vi1

If that doesnt work... i will resort to black magic and guerilla-internet tactics.... That is... use starbucks internet all the time, for everything! They use bell

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sat, Feb 5 2011 4:46 AM

...pending.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS