MSI Issues Response to Sandy Bridge Chipset Misadventure

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,935
Points 1,118,665
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 2 2011 12:43 PM
Unless your Internet's been down for past couple of days, then by now you're undoubtedly aware that something's amiss with Sandy Bridge, or more specifically, the 6-series chipset built into socket 1155 boards that Sandy Bridge processors plop into. The "design flaw," as Intel calls it, is estimated to cost the chip maker between $700 million and $1 billion, but who else is left holding the bag? What happens to end users who already purchased a Sandy Bridge motherboard only to find out that it's flawed?

MSI isn't deaf to those questions and released a statement this week saying it is "working closely with Intel to minimize the inconvenience to customers and retail stores with regard to related issues.." Furthermore, "MSI encourages end users who want to return their MSI Intel P67 and H67 motherboards, or their notebook, to contact the original place of purchase for more detail."

That last bit sounds a bit vague as to what the end result will be, though MSI ensures it's "wholly committed to both our customers and to the overall quality of our products. While we work with Intel to resolve the chipset issues, we want to make sure our customers known their concerns are our top priority."

So what's the verdict, does MSI's comments give you warm fuzzies inside, or are you skeptical of this turning out okay in the end?
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 1:01 PM

I think MSi and Intel are doing the right thing. It is much better to nip this in the bud now and take the hit, than to aggravate enthusiasts like us and see some kind of class-action suit down the road.

I've gotten defective components before where there were mass user problems but no manufacturer acknowledgement or recall (EVGA, I'm looking at you). These experiences have taught me to not buy or recommend any more of their products - even when they're the least expensive of two items with the same specs.

If you create enough tech, a design flaw or two is bound to escape notice before production. As long as they keep addressing things in this manner, I'll keep buying their stuff.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 355

MSI just pretty much said nothing in their statment above.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 324
Points 4,305

its like they just want to load off all the responsibility to Intel and retailers, this is a piss poor public announcement on behalf of MSI. How about if they had a Link to a Q&A blog on their site and/or a discussion board, to assure proper info gets to the customer so there wont be more confusion.

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,620
coolice replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 5:46 PM

True... all companies are starting to do this now... leech of intels PR... which is a sound business decision. But MSI could have worded it better.

Nevertheless, at least they are doing something, vs saying, Oh yea, its taken care of w/e... blame intel

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 6:47 PM

What a completely useless story..

What's the big deal here?

Appears to be something bloggers are having a field day exploiting.

If you have an product that is reported by Intel to be affected by the erratum then keep using it until there's a free replacement swap for it. from the place you got it from.

Case closed.!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

End result is that Intel will be footing the bills for replacement parts for anyone who bought a board with this chipset on it. Sure, you have to go through your board's maker to get the new part, but INTEL has already claimed total responsibility for the flaw and they'll actually pay for the switch.

It's a PITA to remove and replace your board, but if you end up having to do it, you'll get over it.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:36 PM

If i was one of those people real i would totally get over it... i wouldn't even have to have it in the first place. Its either leave it in there and let it break out in 3 years or take it out now and get it replaced :)

Intel surly is doing right as they are taking full responsibility over this.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,797
Points 45,505
rapid1 replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:50 PM

Yeah they seem to be doing the right thing, but replacing a motherboard is more costly to Intel than replacing a processor would be. This would be because you do not only have to take back a processor which has useful or reusable components. When it is a motherboard a lot of people will be in line for there money. As I said there doing the right thing, but this will cost them in the long run I bet. This would be in more than one way I think as until now consumer confidence has been pretty high, where this lends at least a shred of doubt to the name we have not seen since the p3/4 days. Add to that that bulldozer is coming if I was an AMD investor I would definitely be hoping for some capitalization.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

I like Gigabytes approach or at least their wording.

Hopefully everyone will do the right thing, this caught everyone off guard myself included as I am looking at my Asus P8P67 Pro still in the box unused. I was going to begin my build when news broke of the chipset issue now I am looking to RMA it until this all gets sorted out.

Guess I will keep my 2500K as the CPU does not seem to be associated with the problem.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS