Bing Uses Google Results For Items Its Search Engine Can't Find

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 Posted: Tue, Feb 1 2011 7:38 PM

You're not going to believe this, but the traps Google set for them are quite conclusive:

http://searchengineland.com/google-bing-is-cheating-copying-our-search-results-62914

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,561
Points 103,060
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Feb 1 2011 10:43 PM

3vi1:
You're not going to believe this,

Why would you think that? Aren't we speaking of Microsoft?

Yeah, I believe it, and I believe that they're arrogant enough to not try to hide it, and then to act like nothing's wrong when they get caught doing it.

Then you KNOW they'd blame Google for 'tricking' them in some sort of Spy-Novelistic way. (while wiping egg off of their faces)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 7:47 AM

True.  It just seems extremely hypocritical of them to continually put out commercials that imply their results are more relevant than Google's, then to use Google results (even ahead of their own in certain situations!).

I know a bunch of people will say:  "This is perfectly alright - why shouldn't they use Google as another data point in their searches?"  The answer to that, I believe, is that their entire purpose for living is to run Google out of business.  If, they were to actually succeed (and therefore no longer be able to use Google's results), we the consumers would end up with a poorer search engine solution.

Microsoft should just develop their own misspelled word algorithms.  Copying your competitors results is not innovation.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,620
coolice replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 8:18 PM

I'm looking forward to what witchcraft microsoft blames this on. 

But.... for example, if i have a website.... isnt it possible for Bing to get the same data for their search results

Did google make those fake websites/ data/ bogus data under a public domain or something... for example, if i were another search engine, in about 4-5 days, even i'd be able to pick up the same things?

Or was that data just fabricated so that I, a regualr guy would never come across it... ever. I couldnt pick that out in the article. 

Well... to be honest, i now have another reason to use bing.... the search results are the same as google hehe. 

"BING... now powered by Google"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 7:33 AM

coolice:

Did google make those fake websites/ data/ bogus data under a public domain or something... for example, if i were another search engine, in about 4-5 days, even i'd be able to pick up the same things?

Or was that data just fabricated so that I, a regualr guy would never come across it... ever. I couldnt pick that out in the article. 

The second.  Google took words like 'mbzrxpglys', which didn't return anything in either engine, then configured Google to return a specific unrelated page for that query.  Then, magically, Bing started returning the same result about two weeks later.

Basically, if Bing can't figure out what you're searching for it "copies off of Google's test paper", and returns the answer as its own - with no attribution that the result was actually generated by Google.

Microsoft's response confirms that either the Suggested Sites or Bing Toolbar in IE are watching what users Google and sending the results to Bing.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS