Update Your Facebook Status for Free While Flying the Friendly Skies

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,414
Points 1,193,000
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Feb 1 2011 2:23 PM
Remember the Twilight Zone episode, Nightmare at 20,000 Feet? If only Facebook, digital cameras, and the Internet as we know it today had been around in the 1960s, William Shatner, who played the part of a nervous salesman on his first airplane flight since having a nervous breakdown, could have posted proof that there was a gremlin on the wing trying to tear the engine apart.

We're not saying that gremlins remain a problem for domestic flights (they've all but been eradicated since the 1980s), but just in case, we're stoked to learn that Gogo Inflight Internet is running a promotion with seven major airlines to offer free access to Facebook. The social networking service is available starting today on North American flights for Virgin America, United Airlines, American Airlines, Delta, AirTran, US Airways, and Alaska Airlines.

All travelers have to do is open a browser to log on anytime during the month of February. Links to most other sites won't be available, at least not without paying an extra fee (prices range from around $5 to $13, depending on the duration of the flight), but will have unfettered access to Facebook. As it turns out, Facebook is the most-visited site by travelers using Gogo.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Hummm, at the altitude I fly I still get cell service... So I can do what ever I want...lol

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Tue, Feb 1 2011 7:19 PM

So what I hear you saying is that people would rather pay $5 than be disconnected from the Internet for a couple of hours.

No, that doesn't sound sad at all.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Tue, Feb 1 2011 9:17 PM

I see.... So i can use Facebook while flying 20,000ft in the air and still not use the internet in canada. Thank you CRshitTC.

If your a Canuck reading this comment....

http://openmedia.ca/meter

Please vote there!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Tue, Feb 1 2011 11:39 PM

Yeah - read about the 25GB caps and metered usage they want to impose. Ouch. Apparently they don't realize you could burn through that in a single day buying a couple of Steam games. :(

If the metered usage happens, it will put the breaks on all the high-bandwidth on-demand innovations and stagnate the Internet for years.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS