HTC Evo Shift 4G Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,337
Points 1,191,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jan 31 2011 12:35 PM

HTC Evo Shift 4G Review - Less Is Sometimes MoreSprint continuously brags about its flagship 4G Android phone the HTC Evo. It is a great piece of hardware, but it is also a relatively large device with a premium price tag. Enter the HTC Evo Shift, currently Sprint's least expensive Android 4G phone. The Shift runs Android 2.2, includes a slide-out keyboard and is noticeably smaller than the EVO and Sprint's other slide-out 3G/4G phone, the Samsung Epic (see specs below). The Shift is also priced at $150 (with a two-year contract and mail-in rebate) compared to $199 for the HTC Evo and the Samsung Epic. It is a responsive, well performing smartphone that we liked in many ways. But, in exchange for the slide-out keyboard and lower price, it doesn't include all of the features of some other high-end smartphones. For instance, it lacks a front-facing camera and doesn't include HDMI output...

HTC Evo Shift 4G Review

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Mon, Jan 31 2011 1:29 PM

No hdmi, no front facing camera... i think thats fair. Because lets face it, are these functions used regularly? sure once in while its nice to plug in the phone to the tv, but its still very niche.

The keyboard looks great though! the keys looked nice and spaced out as well.

What i'm a little surprised about is the fact that HTC is releasing this phone now... they should have taken it out at least 6-7 months ago.... why?? because tegra and dual-core mobile chipsets are just a few months away... why would i shell out $200 when in a few months, i can get another much more powerful device.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 549
Points 5,015

Coolice, it is $150, not $200 for this phone.  As for the keyboard, when has HTC messed up with a keyboard layout?

I wonder why you guys are knocking the $80 (before taxes and fees) per month price when this is still the cheapest of the big four while offering unlimited everything but cell-to-landline calling.

Also, the additional $30 a month is not required for teathering with the phone, only for wifi hotspot.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Mon, Jan 31 2011 2:18 PM

after taxes ~200 (as a package, taxes, case), Sorry, i'm not affiliated with american tax laws, but in the great white north.... 150$ means almost $180... which ~$200.

And i complemented the keyboard haha. I owned a HTC Dream once.... still one of the best keyboards i've used till date.

As for the service, i cant say anything...i'm not in the states.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

That is my GF's biggest complaint about her new Droid phone....The Keyboard? She cant stand the on-screen keyboard. So this might actually fit a niche market.

Personally I like the EVO with the front cam, HDMI and all.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 549
Points 5,015

Oh yea, something that the review didn't add.  This phone has an SVDO radio rather than an EVDO one.  It is backward compatible, but adds a few new tricks once SVDO capabilities are turned on.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS