Toshiba's Dynabook Qosmio T750 Notebook Has Color-Changing Lid

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,363
Points 1,191,800
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jan 31 2011 12:42 AM
It's just a notebook, right? Well, not quite. Too many notebooks are too hard to distinguish these days, but Toshiba is doing a great job of making their newest notebook stand out. The Dynabook Qosmio T750 is a very unique machine. The internal specifications, while new, aren't totally spectacular, but the finish on the top lid is most definitely one for the books. The blue lid is only blue when looking at it from a certain angle. If you look at it from another angle, it shows a shimmering metallic blue/green, and if you look at it from yet another angle, it'll fade to purple.

This kind of color-changing magic isn't totally new. This has been applied to cars and other electronics before, but it's certainly unusual for a laptop to have it. The technique itself is also rather unique. It doesn't use any metal at all, and Toshiba is calling the process "Picasus." There's even a fingerprint-proof coating to keep it looking great even when your fascinated co-workers reach over and touch it.

As for the internals, there's a 2.66GHz Core i5-480M, 4GB of DDR3 memory, a 750GB hard drive, 15.6" display (1366x768 screen resolution), H/K speakers, 802.11n Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet, an HDMI port, USB 2.0 and an eSATA socket. As of now, the machine only has a release scheduled for Japan, but with this crazy lid, we wouldn't be surprised if it comes to other markets in the near future.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Jan 31 2011 8:11 AM

I used to drive by a car that was painted with this stuff every morning on my way in to work.

It looks cool when you see the effect in person, but if you were ever to see a static picture of one you would be asking "Why would anyone ever paint their car with such ugly color combinations in an asymmetrical fashion?"

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 5,060

My last car had this type of paint. It would go from a dark maroon to the brightest red (so bright it actually seemed to glow and had a halo effect) depending on the brightness and angle of light hitting it. It got lots of attention, not all of it good (cops and red don't mix).

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Mon, Jan 31 2011 10:35 AM

Cool... .make a laptop thats stands out more so that potential thieves can make this an easy target.

On an interesting note, it be fun to see some kids running through the halls with this painted laptop cover and seeing their laptops change colors.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS