They're on the Way to Rio: Angry Birds and Rovio

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,372
Points 1,192,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jan 29 2011 7:31 PM
Rovio's Angry Birds game is on its way to "Rio," sort of. The company announced on Friday that it is partnering up with Twentieth Century Fox to create a version of the game centered on the upcoming animated movie “Rio,” which hits theaters on April 15.

The Angry Birds game will launch ahead of the movie, sometime in March. According to Rovio's blog post:
In Angry Birds Rio, the original Angry Birds are kidnapped and taken to the magical city of Rio, where they eventually escape their captors and set out to to save their friends, Blu and Jewel – two rare macaws and the stars of the upcoming Fox motion picture, Rio. Angry Birds Rio will pair the physics-based gameplay of the original game with unique twists based on the highly-anticipated film.
Angry Birds Rio will launch with 45 levels. More levels will be added later via app updates.

It's part of Rovio's strategy to make Angry Birds a franchise on the level of Mario Bros. Some have compared Angry Birds to Pacman, but Peter Vesterbacka, Rovio's "Mighty Eagle" said,
“What we’re doing is we’re building out the Angry Birds world. Pac-Man is only one game. Mario is a better benchmark.”
Rovio recently announced plans for an Angry Birds animated series. Late last year they even created a line of plush toys.

The game is a huge success in both the App Store, where it is perennially near the top of paid apps, and the Android Market, where it has become an AdMob success story. It's also on webOS, in the Mac App Store, and in the Intel App Store (for Windows PCs). Rovio plans to get it on all relevant platforms.

Watch a Rio trailer below, and an Angry Birds Rio trailer after that.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 11:30 PM

Wow, who would of though a game would like this would one day make the movie screens... Don't know how well this movie would be being based form a game like this :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 12:14 AM

I've not read much about this yet. This is the first time i heard about it. but my guess is this, the first link/ video, RIO; i think the characters are based off it. For example, the blue birds in the game, if you slingshot them and tap mid air, they expand into 3 + they're young... same concept in the video, they were chained together.

2) theres a boomerang bird in the game, where once u sling shot, and tap on the screen, the bird boomerang's back. This is shown in the rio trailer as the black bird when it jumps off the cliffs and soars up to the sky.

the second link/video is just the trailer for a new game i guess thats going to come out soon.

The whole concept of this has existed before... movie/game tie ins, but nonetheless, pretty cool. "get a free copy of angry birds RIO edition if you buy imax 3d tickets". Thats a plausible idea. And most people wouldnt mind shelling out dough for this.... i think RIO's the first to do this... and soon others will follow.... movies will be a package. Movie, HD console game, and portable game.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS