Microsft Not Worried About Netbook Peak, Tablet Takeover

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,209,935
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 28 2011 4:42 PM
There's no question about it, people have been wondering what Microsoft's response to the iPad would be. Early on, the company seemed pretty content with just putting Windows 7 onto tablet form factors and rolling with it. But is that really enough? Windows 7 is a desktop OS, and it was never made specifically with tablets in mind. To date, very few Win7 tablets have shipped, and those that have aren't exactly selling through the roof.

At the World Economic Forum in Switzerland this week, Jean-Philippe Courtois, president of Microsoft International, told Reuters the following: "Devices are going to come and go." That statement was in reference to the question of netbooks reaching their peak, and tablets taking over where they left off. Obviously, the more tablets that are sold in the world, the fewer Windows licenses are sold, generally speaking. Next to no tablets have Windows installed, while almost every netbook has a copy of Windows installed. It's obvious why Microsoft should be concerned.

Earlier in the year, Microsoft revealed that they would be creating a version of Windows that would work on chips designed by ARM, and that could definitely turn the tables. Microsoft's stock has been dipping lately, but the company is most definitely still making tons of money. But of course, any slide in momentum usually triggers a sell-off. Will tablets prove to undermine Microsoft mobile success? Time will tell!
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 7:06 PM

Nah... Microsoft's not worried at all.  It's completely coincidental that Steve Ballmer's been selling $2B worth of his Microsoft stock over the past couple of months.

$1.3B of that was after their 'iPhone death parade', and days before WinPho7 was released.  It certainly makes you wonder if he knows something we don't.  Perhaps he's just getting ready for them to finally oust him... which would be weird if their future was truly as sunny as they paint it.

There have been a lot of (9? 10?) high-profile departures from MS this year, and we're only at the end of January.  That's not a great sign.  Oh well, at least Google got the guy with the brains (and some patents) behind the Kinect, and Twitter got the principal Bing guy.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,650
coolice replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 10:13 PM

Hmmm... usually when a company says their not worried.... it means their facked. Similar to when the news says your safe at home.... i dont knooww, just a trend i see picking up here.

3vi1, your right on this one... Ballmer selling his stocks, and execs leaving the company, i'm not sure what to think of it yet... change management is the hardest in all organizations.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,650
coolice replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 10:17 PM

Also... i still think netbooks, if possible WITH touch screen are the way to go... tablets still seem VERY overhyped, largely thanks to the ipad and apple-brainwashing.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,692
Points 55,940
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 11:45 PM

I really like the new tablet architectures that are coming out. Convertibles are the way to go I think - detachable convertibles especially.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS