Cars with Keyless Entry Fall Prey to Antenna Hack

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,851
Points 1,171,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jan 10 2011 8:50 PM

Automakers such as Audi wowed CES attendees last week with their gadgetry. Problem is, said gadgetry is proving to be a boon to car thieves, too. Last week, university researchers demonstrated how they could use antennas to hack into 10 models of cars that use keyless entry and start systems.

A keyless entry requires the key to be within a few meters of the car. When the car detects the key, that's the authorization it needs to open the door and start the engine. Researchers from the system security group at ETH Zurich in Switzerland tricked cars into thinking the key was nearby. They used a dual antenna system built from easily obtained materials that could cost as little as $150 (or as much as $1000). One antenna was placed close to the car, and the other was placed within eight meters of the key. They tried the trick with antennas that were connected via a cable and a fully wireless system. They had to speed up the spoofed key signal because a car won't respond if a signal takes too long to arrive.

They tricked 10 out 10 cars and both the wired and wireless methods proved effective.

The Audi E-Tron hybrid sports a lot technology, including a display instead of a dashboard.

Boris Danev- ETH Zurich
System Security Group
Stealing cars through the two-antenna method wouldn't be a piece of cake. Some social engineering would be required to get within eight meters of the key which would likely be located within the pocket or purse of the car owner. The second antenna would need to be placed near the car, perhaps with the help of an accomplice. But, the antenna trick could work through glass. So those that store keys near a window might want to rethink that. (We can imagine the hack being featured on an episode of Burn Notice, looking easier than it is.)

More disturbing is that this new research simply adds to the growing number of ways found to hack into today's latest, greatest cars.

Last August, researchers at the University of South Carolina and Rutgers University demonstrated how to hack in and "hijack" the wireless pressure sensors built into many cars' tires. It's hard to PWN a car by controlling the tire pressure sensor, however -- though the method could be used to secretly keep tabs on a car. More worrisome was research published by University of California, San Diego, in May that showed how hackers could gain control of a car's systems by breaking into a car's diagnostics port. With that an attacker gains control over brakes, engine, and, in many cases, door locks.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,576
Points 103,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jan 11 2011 10:06 AM

If you own a car such as this little Audi then you have insurance on it as well. Some butt-head stealing it would only ensure that you always have the latest model!

I like the side rear view CAMERA instead of just a low class mirror too. Nice Car!

Data/Diagnostic ports are inside the car or engine compartment and as such are initially protected by the car's security systems aren't they?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 522
Points 4,820

I know that top picture, its from an Infiniti like mine. I will tell you that the key doesn't help you get away from the two GPS units in the car or the security firm. I see my car drive off, the cops will have real time exact location of it as it moves away.

The tire pressure hack is worthless since there is not anything that you can do with it. Even tracking since they are so low powered your going to be far better off with a bug for less money.

The diag port hack requires that you gain physical entry into the car and leave a computer plugged into the diag port. That port is right above the drives knee in most cars and clearly visible when getting into and leaving a vehicle. Most likely you look at it every several times a day without realising it. But if there was some big plug and wire in it I bet you would notice.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
ChrisM86 replied on Mon, Jun 18 2012 5:58 PM

Wow, hopefully most car thieves don't go this high tech! Call me old fashioned but I prefer just a key anyways. Maybe not too much so, since I really like the interior of that Audi, it looks so sleek.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

Those thieves can't go as high tech as this Audi! Lol! Those wireless and wired technology in this car is really amazing especially the side mirror cameras, with all of those loads, I wonder how thick the audi repair manual is. This is a very tricked out car! It should be called the car of the near future.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS