Asus To Introduce 12" EP121 Windows 7 Tablet At CES

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,875
Points 1,116,335
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 28 2010 11:04 AM
The 2011 edition of the Consumer Electronics Show is coming soon, and starting next week, a whole bunch of new gear will be introduced to the world. Some of it will make you upset about your holiday purchases, most likely, but some will get you very excited for what's to come. Asus is definitely going to be on-hand at the event, and as they usually do, they'll be introducing at least one major new product. This time, it will be the EP121.

So far, Asus has only released a teaser video of the product, but it really makes no bones about what's to come. With a 12" touch screen, this unit will definitely be one of the larger tablets available. Most stop at around 10", but having a 12" tablet makes for interesting peripherals. The video explains that a keyboard dock will be available, basically converting it into a netbook with ease. Also, it will have an HDMI output, a USB port, an SD card slot, a webcam, Full HD video playback, support for music/books/games and an overall design not unlike the bulk of slates that are available today.

The most staggering news? A hint that Windows 7 will be the operating system, and that an Intel Core i5 processor will be powering it. That means that there will be fully support for the Office suite, making the idea of a makeshift netbook even more compelling. We'll have to wait until next week to hear more about price, features and a release date, but for now, enjoy the tease!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 11:19 AM

>> "The most staggering news? A hint that Windows 7 will be the operating system, and that an Intel Core i5 processor will be powering it."

Second most staggering news?  It will weigh 25lbs and the battery life will be measured in minutes.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

You think a screen 2 inches bigger adds 23.4 lbs more than an iPad? I think it'll still be manageable if done right. I'll have to partially agree with the battery life comment though. I don't know how you keep a 12 inch screen running with a full blown OS and an i5 processor without slamming your battery...we shall see, I'm hoping for the best.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 12:52 PM

>> You think a screen 2 inches bigger adds 23.4 lbs more than an iPad?

No. I think the battery will weigh 23.4lbs.  ;)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Those specs are released already - the battery life is (at least targeted to be) 10 hours and the device should be very lightweight. If that's the case, I don't believe they'll actually hit the $599 price-tag some people have thought this would go for, but it likely indicates they're not cutting corners - possibly even an OLED screen?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Physical proof of the Roswell crash is now on display in the Smithsonian! And a Win7 Pad is here, lightweight and under 4Bills:P

Oh wait, Thats Monica's Pad...and its under one Bill and nothing happened, and thats the truth!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 5:55 PM

>> Those specs are released already

Can you link that for us? Every site I've seen says the detailed specs won't be out until Jan 4th. I know that they're *aiming* for 10hr battery life (battery type: unknown, weight: unknown), but I'll be surprised if that doesn't require a battery 3x bigger than other pads, or if it's in sleep mode for 5 of those hours.

I for one certainly wouldn't run out to buy one without seeing what the HH testing shows first, given the performance of every other Intel-powered tablet.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS