Android 2.2 (FroYo) Breathes New Life Into Dell Streak, Benchmarks Ensue

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,923
Points 1,118,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 16 2010 5:39 PM
Dell's fairly recent entrant into the tablet market certainly made a splash when it hit the scene a few months ago, with the company's CEO and namesake randomly making cameo appearances with the device in hand, like one of his one personal private stock toys.  Of course, once we got our hot mitts on it for a proper man-handling, we became fairly attached to the device for all its strengths and weaknesses.  "Approved" we said, but we new there was more potential lying dormant inside.  You see, Dell just wasn't ready to arm the device with a more optimized version of the Android OS, instead opting to release it with a rather unhealthy donut version of the OS (Android 1.6).  Ahh but time heals and our friends at Dell promised us that a decidedly more healthy FroYo OS (Android 2.2) update was on the horizon. 

Dell's Streak - hamstrung by Android 1.6 like a Jets QB sacked by a Patriots Linebacker

Now go see what a difference an OS revision makes...
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 165

Or a Seahawks Super Bowl game that you've been waiting for your whole life that ends up getting screwed by blind refs and bad calls.

I smell payoff.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,484
Points 53,990
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Dec 17 2010 10:01 AM

DeathPaladin:

Or a Seahawks Super Bowl game that you've been waiting for your whole life that ends up getting screwed by blind refs and bad calls.

I smell payoff.

Haha!  As do I!  Yes

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 493
Points 4,555

Why does it perform so much better than the incredible?  Is your Incredible numbers from Android 2.1?  That is the only thing I can think of, since their using the same chip (well, both 8X50 with the only difference being radios) so they should have close numbers.  There would be some minor performance differences due to both being skinned, but they should still be within ~10% of each other.

On a side note, the Snapdragon CPU is not an ARM design in any shape or form.  Qualcomm designed it from scratch, with it using the ARMv7 instruction set.  One of the reasons you'll see a Snapdragon based product run away from any pure ARM based product in benches like Linpack is because of its much more powerful FPU and SIMD capabilities.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H
Yes it's the original InfinityzeN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,484
Points 53,990
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Dec 17 2010 4:11 PM

Yes, the scores on the Incredible are on 2.1.  I'll update the article to make that clear.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS