AMD Radeon HD 6970 & 6950 Graphics Debut

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,505
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 14 2010 11:37 PM
As many of you may be aware, Cayman is the codename given to AMD’s newest flagship GPU, which will power the Radeon HD 6900 series (Antilles, aka the Radeon HD 6990, will uses a pair of Cayman GPUs when it arrives sometime next year). Cayman is the successor to the Cypress XT that was employed on the Radeon HD 5800 series, and while it does leverage many of the technologies from that generation, Cayman is a new chip that embraces a fresh core architecture designed to increase efficiency, performance and feature-set.

Initially, the Cayman GPU will power two graphics cards, the Radeon HD 6970 and the Radeon HD 6950. And wouldn’t you know it; we have a pair of each in house and have been testing them with a completely revamped test-bed for a few days now...

AMD Radeon HD 6970 & 6950 Graphics Debut: Enter Cayman
  • | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 73
Points 800

hehe i didn't click the picture to get the article :) my bad. much closer performance this time around, but most games still seem to favor nvidia cards, however, the crossfire beat the sli...i guess it will just come down to your favorite of the 2 companies and whether or not u are running single card, 2-4 sli/crossfire.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,630
Points 55,230
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Dec 15 2010 12:10 AM

MMcCutcheon:

testing them? where are the benchmarks! :) now if ati could get their drivers worked out..

Did you bother to read the article?

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,630
Points 55,230
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Dec 15 2010 12:16 AM

MMcCutcheon:

hehe i didn't click the picture to get the article :) my bad. much closer performance this time around, but most games still seem to favor nvidia cards, however, the crossfire beat the sli...i guess it will just come down to your favorite of the 2 companies and whether or not u are running single card, 2-4 sli/crossfire.

Exactly...

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 324
Points 4,305

Very Disappointed , I expected the 6970 to Obliterate the 580, bummerTongue Tied ...But based on what it "turned out to be", its performance and the fact that we are approaching the last days of the holiday shopping season, a more reasonable price would set it in favor of many people and reviews.

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,691
Points 104,390
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Dec 15 2010 8:42 AM

They're selling already at NewEgg. (And at a good price point too)

(got to go read the review now)

Edit: Not really anything Earth shattering with these card's release. They look good, but not enough to change my mind. Updated drivers could improve their performance, but the same could be said for the NVIDIA cards too. If either ATI or NVIDIA had a clear performance advantage across the board, it would make it an easier job to choose between them. I think that we have to keep in mind that both company's offerings are at a very high performance level to start and either choice is a good one that exceeds what today's games can dish out.

I still feel comfortable with my prior conclusions, two GTX570's will do well for me and give me good performance until I have a chance to build yet again. (CUDA & Phys-X capabilities being the deciding factor, and I'm not too interested in three screen gaming so far)

So I guess it's time to quit pondering and waiting, and start actually buying the rest of my parts. Smile

Thanks for the excellent review guys,..........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Dec 15 2010 10:56 AM

Fantastic review, love looking at new tech.

Some what unrelated question, can i put a 6850 and 6870 togather in crossfire? And how bad will it be bottle necked?

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 370
Specjre replied on Wed, Dec 15 2010 11:28 AM

Great review!  I have been waiting for this since they were announced.  I am still having a hard time deciding between Nvidia and AMD.  In the past I always bought Nvidia, but I am really liking what I see from AMD lately.  I think I may just have to give them a shot in the PC I'm building at the moment.  As always you guys are the first ones I found with this review.  I'm not seeing any reason to check any other sites, you guys rock!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255
lifeskills replied on Wed, Dec 15 2010 12:54 PM

@fat, to my understanding, you can crossfire them, but the performance of the faster card will be throttled down to that of the slow one.

Somehow I knew these wouldn't beat out the nvidia 500 series. But I really like the price point of the 6950. Plus, the cf scaling is awesome. Can't wait to see all the manufactures OC models.

Oh yeah love those backplates. Really didn't expect to see that on their 6950, especially at 300

Long cards, though. No love for my storm scout ( I could make it work :P )

Great Review, Dave

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

humm looks like I'll go with the 570GTX this time around for upgrades. Now all i have to do is wait a bit for the $

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

That Crossfire performance is remarkable.  Nvidia usually always offered better 2 card scaling.  No more I suppose.

Hello

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 455

Over the Catalyst 10 drivers, they've doubled xfire performance (that's just a # i pulled out of my butt), but yeah like the review shows...scaling is really nice with AMD cards now.

If I had a real job, I'd definitely get a 6970 for this generation of cards, but as of now, it looks like I might just wait til next gen.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
ed007 replied on Wed, Dec 22 2010 3:10 AM

I totally wanna be staff fondler for some of these products!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS