Buying a budget gaming PC

rated by 0 users
This post has 41 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin Posted: Tue, Dec 7 2010 1:58 PM

assuming I don't win the awesome giveaway,

I still need to get a new computer, I haven't upgraded in about a decade or so, so yeah its really time, I've been rocking this sweet Dell Dimension 8200 for far too many years.Stick out tongue

I'm on an extremely tight budget however, $700 - $1000 something like that. 

I have no intrest in Crysis or CoD, I would like to be able to play games like Dragon Age 2, Mortal Online, Mount & Blade warband, or the new version of Dear Esther (which I think is just built on the source engine, although it looks nothing like it)

I would love to work on mods, be able to run GIMP, Blender, Unity..not the super high level stuff but requiring some power; I haven't actually done much of this in the past but I think it is something I would enjoy

I would also like a really nice looking case, although this might just be a personal hang up I need to let go of considering my price range - I love the look of the corsair 700 ( the  black brushed aluminum and minimalist subdued profile) although it is way too big for me, everytime I try to find a case of similar aesthetic quality I find something like the  Silverstone tjo2. Also very big and very expensive, nice case I'm sure. I wonder if the Antec 300 would suit my needs, but haven't really seen it much on custom order computer configurators. I have a very dusty place with dangerous little ones prone to accidents of all sorts around, so the notion of an enclosed protected case really appeals to me.

I don't quite have the confidence and time to build my own rig. I think I would know how to do it, but if I got stuck or bought the wrong thing, would drive me crazy. I really like the idea of customer support and good warranties.

So far I've been looking at Digital Storm (for only about 3 years now), pining for their high end stuff and wondering if they are still a good company to buy a lower end PC from.

ibuypower based on an article I read here on the Gamer Paladin E720: 

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Paladin_E720/w/50111

$1182.00 (plus tax & shipping)

The monitor and Corsair 600t case kind of put me a bit over my budget

and then I've been looking at a few other companies and other configurations. I won't post all that.

So my questions are:

Are my priorities all screwed up considering my budget?

Should I look at companies first or figure out the build first?

Do I want/need windows 7?

I like Intel and Nvidia better than AMD, probably only because of advertising though, thoughts?

future proofing? specific considerations I should note?

Best company to go with/does it really matter?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 2:26 PM

I hope I didn't stick this in the wrong section. Sorry, or if you could move it that would be great if I did.

another system I looked at on cyberpower, again with a ridiculously nice case:

Case: SilverStone FT02 Fortress Series Full Tower All Aluminum Body Case w/ Right-Sided See-Thru Window [+180]
Internal USB Extension Module: None
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-760 2.80 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1156
Freebies: None
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
Motherboard: [CrossFireX] Asus P7P55 LX Intel P55 Chipset DDR3 LGA1156 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI
Motherboard Expansion Card: None
Memory: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR2 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
Freebies: None
Video Card 2: None
Video Card 3: None
Dedicated PHYSX Card: None
Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
Power Supply Upgrade: 450 Watts - Standard Case Power Supply
Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
Data Hard Drive: None
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: None
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
3D Vision Glasses: None
LCD Monitor: 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 TFT Active Matrix LCD Display [+159]
2nd Monitor: None
3rd Monitor: None
Speakers: None
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Network Surge Protector: None
Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
Gaming Gear: None
Extra Thermal Display: None
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
Video Camera: None
Headset: None
Printer: None
Cable: None
Power Protection: None
Surge Protector: None
IEEE1394 Card: None
USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
Floppy: None
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
Office Suite: None
Games: None
Ultra Care Option: None
Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

If you could drop the Liquid cooling and then increase the video card, thats what I would do. the 5450 isnt the best performer and it will be the first thing to show its age when new games come out. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

You should build it yourself and save the money for better parts. We're here if there are questions during the build.

Sandy Bridge comes out soon, and that should drive prices down on existing Intel Hardware until existing supplies are exhausted. Then would be the best time to buy.

I really like my $199.00 Socket 1156 Core i5-750 CPU and the ASRock P55-Pro Mainboard it's sitting in. The board can be had for about 104 bucks and DDR3-1600 GSKill RipJaws RAM is only about 59 bucks for two-2GB sticks. You should be able to build a system based on these pars and still be able to put a 1GB-GTX460 video card into it. (189 buck with a 30 rebate brings this to 159.00)

A SeaSonic Brand Power Supply is a must for dependability, and a Good Hard Drive is not hard to find these days.

A decent Optical Drive is cheap nowadays,......and,.......

A case is a matter of personal preference, but I like CoolerMaster HAF cases. The HAF stands for High Air Flow and they do deliver the goods.

Bottom Line is that you should be able to do it within your budget and the parts that I've suggested will make a really bad-ass gamer for you.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 3:46 PM

As I remember it the Liquid cooling was a 'free upgrade' promotion, I would probably avoid liquid otherwise since I'm not planning on overclocking and have not even heard that great things about this stage of LC, my understanding is that the real benefits of LC aren't seen so much over air until you get to some of the higher-end offerings which I don't need.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 3:46 PM

i am good on computers heres some of my work

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 3:51 PM

The more I learn the more I want to go this route. Having a resource like HH for when things go wrong is very encouraging, and I did watch an ad showing a monkey building its own computer.....hmm...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 3:54 PM

@fat78:

yeah thats totally what I'm afraid of - I could easily see myself F-ing up bigtime on what seems quite simple to most.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

Resin:
yeah thats totally what I'm afraid of - I could easily see myself F-ing up bigtime on what seems quite simple to most.

It isn't that hard to do, and it's well worth the effort to do. You save lots of money and get much better parts.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Wed, Dec 8 2010 1:39 PM

Thanks for all the help neil. I'm thinking the CM 690 II looks like a very nice case, and not as expensive as some of the others I've liked.

The Mobo you mentioned is out of stock, any suggestions for alternatives? Also if I needed to shave a couple hundred dollars off the cost of my total build where or how might I look to do that.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

Resin:
if I needed to shave a couple hundred dollars off the cost of my total build,.............

I would look at AMD CPU and Board then.

Here is a combo deal at NewEgg, but it doesn't include a video card. Everything else is good stuff too.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Wed, Dec 8 2010 6:58 PM

That looks good. Now I just have to see just how constraining my budget really is and hope for a fat Xmas bonus Stick out tongue

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

That combo kit and the video card that I linked to earlier make the bill less than a grand and you still get fast gaming performance.

Good luck on the bonus. Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Another great benefit of building your own is you don't have to rely on someone else to fix it. Also it is very rewarding once it is up and going. Though there is always a moment of sheer terror when you hit the power button for the first time... 

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

Der Meister:
a moment of sheer terror

LOL!

I just check it all out three times before I switch it on.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Thu, Dec 9 2010 6:01 PM

Never having done it before my biggest fear is that there is some step that is so completely obvious to most people that no one would mention it because its assumed evryone would know this.

in some computer how-to's I see people whereing nitril gloves. is that just for show or necessary?

installing the heatsink? Is this something I would need to be doing with the parts we discussed? is this difficult?

is installing windows 7 just a matter of putting it in, or is there more to it than that?

Do I need antivirus, firewall, internetsecurity programs before I connect to the internet for the first time? Can I just plug my old modem into my new computer and get on the internet? am I going to need to mess with anything in BIOS?

Maybe I'm worrying needlessly but I think I need a walkthrough for absolute beginners, I'm sure if I keep searching i'll find something appropriate, but if you have recommendations or answers, they are appreciated. Although I do plan on waiting until after xmas to make a final decision.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

Just make sure your hands are clean.  Rubber gloves will keep your hardware clean, but can also get in the way in a tight spot.  When you get all the parts together, it can look a little intimidating, but your motherboard manual should guide you through the installation easily.  Once you know where to plug everything in, the hardest part is getting the cables out of the way to provide airflow.  You can watch Marco's video of him building Freejet's rig for that.  Just be prepared with a bunch of zip ties and a screwdriver.

As far as windows 7 goes, I highly recommend it.  I noticed from the photo thread that you are a teacher of some sort, so you could probably get an education discount on Win 7.  Not sure what you're running now, but I upgraded my xp to 7 pro for 30 bux.  (this could be for students only)

I hope you build it yourself, because you will learn a lot from it.  Although its scary not having a warranty for the whole rig, you will have individual warranties for your parts.  Companies like XFX and EVGA even offer lifetime warranties on some of their products.  I have had my XFX video card replaced twice no questions asked, and the second time I ruined it overclocking.

Good luck!

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Fri, Dec 10 2010 1:22 AM

Thanks. Having a forum community like this certainly helps for confidence.

I should look into discounts for educators just in case, but usually it requires that you use it with/for students, which is unlikely to happen with this computer and not something I'd fib about, but it's still worth checking into.

One thing I'm thinking about is if I decide I wanted to work on a mod. I wouldn't be trying to use Maya or 3dmax or anything, probably just blender and unity  or something on that scale. Would I need more Harddrive space? I do have an external 500 gb harddrive I could use between that and a new internal 500 gb hardrive, I would probably be fine, right?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

HD space is fine, you can even get 1tb drive for 80 or so. I use 3ds Max myself.  

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Tue, Dec 14 2010 2:33 PM

What do people think of this i5 combo deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.569892

It seems like a nice price to me, but maybe there is something I'm not seeing. Also to those more familiar, how common are these deals. This one goes until 12/20 and I was thinking I would rather wait until after Xmas, is an equal or better deal just around the corner, or is this more like an anual event?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Dec 14 2010 3:21 PM

Resin:
What do people think of this i5 combo deal?

It works for me, and would be a strong performer too. What video card would you buy to round it out?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Tue, Dec 14 2010 6:40 PM

realneil:

Resin:
What do people think of this i5 combo deal?

It works for me, and would be a strong performer too. What video card would you buy to round it out?

I was thinking the GeForce GTX 460 you originally recommended. Would that work with this configuration?

$215 + windows 7  $100  + ASUS DRW 24x DVD burner $20 +509 Combo = ~855 , I might even be able to get a new monitor.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Dec 14 2010 6:48 PM

Go for it. It's a strong performer that you'll have a blast with.

Buy.com has a deal on a Samsung 24" screen for 189 bucks right now.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

looks like a good combo, plus well be case brothers!Big Smile

There are always advantages to waiting, and there are regular combo deals at Newegg, but this one is pretty good.  I also have a gtx460, which is awesome.

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Wed, Dec 15 2010 5:47 PM

Do you like the storm scout? One of my concerns was dust, my place is always dusty it seems (I guess I need to clean more : / ) and noise.

I haven't really seen any of the coolermaster cases running so I don't know if people talking about noise are just crazy, or if it really is something to be concerned about.

I'm hemin and hawin...this is just how I am with any big purchase

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Dec 15 2010 7:50 PM

Resin:
Do you like the storm scout?

Don't know about it. looks OK to me on NewEgg.

As for noise, you're talking to a guy who's almost deaf and uses hearing aids. So noise isn't a concern to me. (more on this further down) I do choose CoolerMaster cases because of the cooling, and I like that about them.

I have the CM RC690 Centurion and the CM Storm Sniper. Both are roomy and cool. Sniper has 3 giant-ass fans and Centurion  can support up to seven 120mm fans in it,......I have to admit that I do try to silence my PC's as much as possible for my wife's sake. So I buy a lot of replacement fans for my cases at NewEgg.

Six of these are all over in my Centurion   And in the Sniper, this is what I use on both sides of the Asetek CPU water cooler's 120mm radiator, 2 of them.

I blow the dust out of my boxes outside on the deck every so often with a Shop Vac set to blow air. I use a 2" paintbrush to keep each fan from over-spinning in the high velocity air flow.(never had any static problems either) My cases have particle filters in place too.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Points 2,085

remember if you are still worried about building your own, there aren't many better choices then buying from DSO

"The old appeals to racial, sexual, religious chauvinism to rabid nationalist furver are beginning not to work. A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed"- Carl Sagan

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Wed, Dec 15 2010 9:50 PM

dodgers2213:

remember if you are still worried about building your own, there aren't many better choices then buying from DSO

I am trying to plan a visit to their facility, I would really like to see some of their systems first hand, their 3d system in particular. Maybe I'll get to see some of these cases I'm considering while I'm there. They seem to be a very solid group there, I would be paying a big mark up, but it would be for big service and security. I got to say though I've taken a strong liking to the notion of doing it myself, its a bit nerve racking, but I think I would find it very satisfying in the end, unless I totally F* up some how, then it would suck.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Dec 16 2010 11:18 AM

Resin:
I got to say though I've taken a strong liking to the notion of doing it myself, its a bit nerve racking, but I think I would find it very satisfying in the end,

It's worth it to do. Once you build one for yourself, you'll keep on doing it because it's fun to do. (and you save a lot of cash too)

Plenty of resources online to help you during, and of course there is this forum too.

You can do this,......

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

I like the scout a lot.  I replaced all the fans, but it was quiet before that, and still moved a lot of air.  I like it because Its got a black interior, room for 5 HDDs or SSDs, 5 optical bays (I have a 120mm fan taking up 3 of these.  Plus If you move it around the handle works great.  Filters on all openings but the door, Hole on the floor for a Power supply fan.  The airflow is great and its a really affordable case.  The one thing that I don't like is the fan mounts on the door are cut in a way that the air moving through them makes a slight whining noise.  barely noticeable.  Nice cable management.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 8:09 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice and my apologies in advance if I'm getting tedious.

I got a fairly decent Xmas bonus Big Smile so I might do something different than that combo deal and put a little bit more into this build. I'm kind of really stuck on the 600T, I know the other cases are probably just as good and probably better deals but I just really like the 600T. So I've been combing over newegg trying to get everything I would need. Some of the things you (neil) originally recommended are out of stock, and I'm also trying to take advantage combo deals where I can, I think thats why I got the 750 psu, figuring it can't hurt to have some extra power if I want to upgrade later as well. I'm leaving home this week to visit relatives and get home day after Xmas which is the first time I'll have any time without my little ones, so I'm hoping to be able to time the delivery right then as I wouldn't like to have it sitting around my building(and still preferably only pay UPS 3day). I think if I order on the 23rd right after I find out I didn't win this HH contest, that might actually work out :P 

So anyway if you see any glaring errors or improvements for my current build, please let me know, I'll probably end up having to change it again anyway as combo deals expire and other things become stocked or out of stock:

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #:N82E16822136514
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$99.99

Corsair Graphite Series 600T Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Corsair Graphite Series 600T Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #:N82E16811139003

$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$159.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Item #:N82E16820231277
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

$59.99

MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

MSI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) N460GTX Hawk Video Card
Item #:N82E16814127518
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy

$20.00 Mail-in Rebate
$214.99

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
Item #:N82E16827135204

$16.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
Item #:N82E16832116754
Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy

$99.99

Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Antec EA750 750W Continuous Power "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817371026

-$40.00 Instant
$139.99
$99.99

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
Item #: N82E16819115215
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813128425

-$20.00 Instant
-$14.99 Combo
$319.98
$284

One last thought Do these components come with all the necessary wires or do I need to buy those as well? Am I alright without anything directly on the chip since I'm not overclocking (for now)? I was looking at the DSO website to see what their different builds were and was curious what the braided cords in this picture were?They're cool looking. :P

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 9:20 PM

I think that it will work fine as you have it configured. I prefer 7200 RPM drives for faster performance, but the 5400 RPM drive you selected should be almost as quick due to platter density.

Order it and let me know if you have questions with the build.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Sun, Dec 19 2010 4:04 AM

My plan is to order on the 22, so that I'm sure to be back before it arrives,  :D !

Those cables it turns out are NXZT premium cables, completely unnecessary but very pretty and not too expensive. I might make it a little mini (aesthetic) upgrade later on, or I might be too busy playing games by that point.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Dec 19 2010 9:12 AM

Resin:
My plan is to order on the 22

No telling what will be for sale by then. They may have sold out on some combo's, and have all new offerings by the 22nd. You're just gonna have to wait and see,......

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Points 2,085

if you get another ~$150 you go further and get the GTX 570 instead Wink

"The old appeals to racial, sexual, religious chauvinism to rabid nationalist furver are beginning not to work. A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed"- Carl Sagan

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

Resin, glad too see you're looking at the 600T, I want that case!!!  All it needs is a side window, IMO.  Those cables you pointed out have been sleeved.  This is quite the process, but looks great if you take the time to do it.

You can get the sleeve and heatshrink from different places all over the web, but my preference is MDPC-X.com.  His sleeve is top-notch, but you have to order from Germany.

I recently sleeved my system in and out, every cable.  It takes lots of patience, and I most definitely had to do parts over when I wasn't careful.  Check it out, its kind of a work log, but if you look at the latest pictures compared to my originals, you can see how much of a difference sleeving makes, and just to let you know, I will be starting on my new rig(won here) shortly after ChristmasSmile:

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/49453.aspx?PageIndex=2

heres a good guide just to give you an idea of the process:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202639

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Sun, Dec 19 2010 8:18 PM

Your build looks bloody awesome! Thanks for the info.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

Thanks. I overlooked where you said those were NZXT premium cables.  Buying pre-sleeved extensions like that is an option as well. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 9:07 PM

Well I downgraded the PSU a touch and upgraded the Harddrive to 7200 RPM, 1TB Black Caviar, added in a monitor - and it is now ordered.

I'm hoping for it to arrive on Monday.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Points 2,085

wish you luck Resin! btw did you decide to go for the GTX 570?...consider a small intel 40gb SSD for your OS and most used programs

Page 1 of 2 (42 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS