Internet Retailers Set Sites On Local Services

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,209,800
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 3 2010 11:53 PM

Some of the Internet's biggest retail players are setting their sights on the flourishing business of local services. Google is reportedly interested in buying local coupon site Groupon for as much as $6 billion and Amazon.com is planning to invest $175 million in online coupon company LivingSocial, a Groupon competitor. eBay is buying Milo.com, which lets users see if items they seek are available on local store shelves.

Needless to say, local-services sites and offerings are HOT. Colin Gillis, an analyst with BGC Partners said, "It's local mania." As Jeremy Liew, managing director at Lightspeed, a company that recently invested $8 million in LivingSocial put it, local deals are "the most exciting, fastest-growing category of e-commerce right now."

Meanwhile, eBay is looking to expand its offerings through the acquisition of Milo, which is designed to send shoppers to brick-and-mortar stores. EBay's chief technology officer, Mark Carges, has described Milo as a "complementary platform." He further explained how Milo could complement eBay: "If you're trying to woo Best Buy and get them to ramp up their presence on eBay, this is a nice extension you can be offering them."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Sun, Dec 5 2010 1:38 PM

Really; if you look at the whole thing, financially it is just another sign of the change in the world. If you look back through history, and especially when we changed to the Industrial age worldwide economically the picture if not the same mirrors many things within the world economical change. The difference being at that time the world had several wars that brought different things into the picture. While not good they added a lot of work world wide in industrial fields.

This is the slow and continual path rather than a rapid one as in that "Industrial Age" picture. You can see it in many other areas, such as the Smart Phones, the Tablets, which were started by the laptops/ultra lights, and netbooks. It is a worldwide financial as well as service and means of elocution change in how everything works. The one thing that really surprises me the most is that the big players do not seem to see it to some degree.

That and or they don't wish to relinquish past things and move forward. If you look at the world in many cases although not every case the countries that are moving up in the world were or are early adopters. This country needs to prioritize the internet just like they did the highways back in the industrial age. That is why America grew! It is all in the ease of communications.

Yet now with it being the Internet we as a country have lagged. If the country prioritized the Internet making it a top concern I believe it would grow faster. This would be because as many can see if it is on the internet it is easier to reach, after it is there for an amount of time more become aware of it, and then it becomes a normal way of doing things.

Then it goes to the next thing and on and on. Like GPS which used to be available to a very limited amount of individuals with special pursuits. Then any one could get one, then they were offered in luxury vehicles as stock, now they are becoming normal. It is a progression I see here as well as everywhere in technology. It is also ramping up more and more.

So just like you see in desktops as well as laptops the strength is really incredible. Think about this your laptop and desktop to differing degrees based on their strengths can operate at a higher level than a super computer 10 years ago. The smaller and more capable devices become then the more they become intertwined in the way the world works.

If a dual processor small SSD high yield polymer battery device I can hold in my hand can do what a netbook can (which we should see this year) but with better efficiency all the way around why not. So all services acclimate, and we move on to the next device. Then it becomes cheaper and more normal for everyone to use. So this makes total sense, the bigger winners in this one, much like back when AOL was the best stock to own in the world, will be the companies who adopt early, and invest in the future of this information age.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS