CoolerMaster Announces New SLI-Certified HAF X

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,110
Points 1,184,020
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 30 2010 4:03 PM
If you're in the market for a new high-end chassis, Cooler Master has launched an updated High Air Flow (HAF) case you might find interesting. Currently the company is talking up the NVIDIA version but we suspect there'll be a generic equivalent as well. The advantage of the new HAF X, according to CM, is its ability to handle more than two video cards and a great deal of heat.

"These new limited edition cases represent the culmination of our collective efforts. Cooler Master and NVIDIA® engineers worked tirelessly to improve thermal designs in order to best cool NVIDIA® GTX 480 graphics cards in a triple-SLI setup”, said Bryant Nguyen, Product Marketing Manager at Cooler Master... "We look forward to seeing enthusiasts push the limits of their graphics cards within our cases."

Cooler Master's own HAF X copy describes the case as follows: "Designed for performance systems, this chassis is able to house today’s latest and hottest CPUs, motherboards, graphics cards, and is even compatible with USB 3.0 devices." The HAF X sports some nifty features, particularly if you're planning a high-end system. These include:

• SATA Dock for easy installation without the need of removing side panel.
  • USB 3.0 on front I/O panel.
  • Air duct to cool the latest graphics cards.
  • Up to 1 x 230 mm green LED fan and 3 x 200 mm fans.
  • 9 slots support triple VGA cards.
  • Adjustable VGA card holder to support heavier GPU cards.
  • Power supply partition to conceal cables.
  • Advanced cable management with rubber grommets.
  • Spacious interior for larger component parts.

It's the nine physical slots, adjustable VGA card-holder, and front-panel USB 3 support that most set the HAF X apart from a number of other high-end cases. Nine PCI slots instead of the typical seven gives the system ample room for three dual-slot video cards; the HAF X supports E-ATX, the Ultra-ATX form factor (as defined by Foxconn) and the unofficial XL-ATX. It's not clear if XL-ATX will ever be formally accepted as a standard but ultra high-end boards from Gigabyte and EVGA make use of it. The only motherboard this case won't take is EVGA's massive SR-2, which is built on a custom standard EVGA calls HPTX.

The VGA card-holder  might not seem useful when your system is standing on solid ground, but it'll prove its worth if you ever have to ship or transport the chassis over long distances. Modern high-end cards are heavy enough that they can torque badly even when screwed in with two screws at the slot. The only thing to keep in mind is that HAF cases tend to be louder than other ATX designs. It's not just the amount of air passing through the system; the case is perforated at the front, side, and top to maximize cooling. This potential issue can be largely alleviated through the use of quiet fans and if you plan to run tri-SLI you can't be that concerned about noise in the first place.

Couple these benefits with an NVIDIA-branded chassis and this could make an excellent stocking stuffer—provided you know someone with sufficiently large feet and a preference for the Green Team. More details on the case are available here
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 5:00 PM

This case was on sale for blackfriday i think... "goes to check" Wait NVM :), it was just you get a free game with it :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

I have the full tower version of this and i highley recamend it its the best case i have evey had i can fit anything i need in here buy it for the game if you want but if you want to run water cooling there's more thane enough room very happy with it

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 341
Points 4,490
slugbug replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 8:13 PM

I can't say I'm a fan of the color scheme, but it's otherwise a nicely designed case.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,623
Points 103,925
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 9:47 PM

The color would get old in a hurry. It is still a really nice looking, functional case. Can you get it in other colors? (goes to check) Yes, but it's holy-moly expensive!!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 9:55 PM

Very cool, what i like most is how the case's airflow is being better directed to the gpus giving some more head room for any one who looks to overclock higher (Although if i was going to do tri-sli i would probably be looking to do a h2o system). Then the case has those many smaller features that make the overall case cooler, black finsh, power cable cover, hot swap drive bays,9 expansion bays, neat cable management, and the cool color look

Not Ranked
Posts 324
Points 4,305

realneil:

The color would get old in a hurry. It is still a really nice looking, functional case. Can you get it in other colors? (goes to check) Yes, but it's holy-moly expensive!!

How about a pack of Permanent Markers and a Sunday Afternoon !! The Kids could also help out, that be fun!!

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 11:25 PM

The HAF cases are very nice all the way around in general. This being an update/expansion of the line would just be better. I say that from general assumption as well as from what I see. The green is not for me I am sure some would like it, but not me, so I definitely hope there are more color choices. I don't know though maybe if I got those Neon Green headphones from the gift list the combo would match though, Hmmmm.........

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 440

I remember when the HAF X came out, the day after I ordered my new system, and after closely scrutinizing every detail about the case I found that it is truly not much of a step up from my current case the Cooler Master Storm Sniper. The only main differences were an optional second top fan and the GPU holder. Now as I compare this new HAF X nVidia Edition I come to find that the difference between the original HAF X and the HAF X nVidia Edition is that you get a nVidia branded chassis in an almost blinding lime green. As I read this review of the case I recognized that the main selling point is the the case is SLI-Certified and can easily handle the nVidia GTX480 graphics card in a three way SLI. What this review doesn't tell you is that this case and its predecessor the HAF X can both easily handle 4-way SLI, and Quad CrossfireX. In the end, unless you are a devote fan of nVidia and love lime green, I truly see no reason to spend the roughly $50 difference between the HAF X nVidia Edition and the original HAF X.

P.S. Mr. Joel Hruska you are more than allowed to send me this case as a stocking stuffer as I have worn a size 17.5 Mens shoe since I was 14 and I truly do like the color green.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I love my 690! It really moves the air :)

I am not sure about a case that looks like a Tonka truck though? I would like to see them make one like this that looks like the Corsair Obsidian Series!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,102
Points 38,250
acarzt replied on Wed, Dec 1 2010 10:10 AM

I got a flyer for this in my e-mail :-P

Nice case, but that color is a bit much for me!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS