Shortcuts

Apple 13" MacBook Air Review

This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,111
Points 1,184,085
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 30 2010 1:05 PM

Apple 13Apple decided to refresh their MacBook Air lineup this year, but rather than simply upgrading the existing machine with a new CPU, GPU or Blu-ray drive, Apple introduced some entirely new pieces of hardware with the new 11" and 13" MacBook Airs. While the 11" machine is certainly intriguing, and a compelling addition to the overall lineup, we're focusing today on the revamped 13" version here.

Arguably, this 13" model deserves the most scrutiny, largely because it's the third 13" notebook that Apple offers. Apple doesn't have as many options at any other notebook form factor, so it's of particular importance to weigh your options when looking for a 13" Apple ultraportable...

Apple 13" MacBook Air Review

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,623
Points 103,925
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 1:24 PM

It's a nice little NetBook,..............

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 534
Points 4,895

Stev'ie has already said this is the future of Apple laptops. You'll have the choice of a Macbook Air or a Macbook Pro sometime in the next year or two. No more plain old Macbook.

The reason their sticking with the C2D chip is because they can't squeeze an Nvidia chip in with a Core. With the next version of OSX needing OpenCL, they will not stick with Intel intergrated graphics. Maybe Sandy Bridge will be powerful enough for what they need when it comes out, we will just have to wait an see.

The Ultra-Light market is the one place where I actually see Apple producing by far the best products. Their competing against things like the Acer Aspire Timeline and the Sony VAIO X. The VAIO X cost about the same (or more) while only packing an Atom. Aspire has a more powerful CPU, but is thicker, slightly heavier, and doesn't have as good a GPU or screen.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55
nemanja23 replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 11:16 PM

It is a great balance of portability, power and battery life. For a tiny notebook it has an amazing graphics!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 11:27 PM

My brother loves Apple laptops, and has for years, I would not doubt this would interest him, but I think he likes bigger than this generally. The specs do seem very decent for a UL model though.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965

realneil:
It's a nice little NetBook,..............

I couldn't agree more. I'm glad they refocused the Air into that niche- instead of it being and underpowered, under- usb'd, and under-regular laptop.

Sadly they couldn't reduce the price point to compete. But it's Apple, so the competition isn't all that apparent with all the fanboys.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 195

Though I am no way a Mac lover... and I feel much safe and comfortable with Windows pc but I think it is quite handy...You can get a thorough review on:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/10/macbook-air-review.html

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,623
Points 103,925
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 13 2010 7:46 AM

Sarah Hastings:
Though I am no way a Mac lover... and I feel much safe and comfortable with Windows pc

Your first post Sarah/Salma: "This is Salma Raul and I am a iPhone application and technology consultant"

You just make your living with Macs and Mac Products.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 290
Papapak replied on Sat, Feb 12 2011 6:02 AM

i tried it at my school's apple store and it was awesome, i mean... the SSD makes every program pop up instantly and the fact that it is so light weighted, i would rather have this than an ipad!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,623
Points 103,925
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Feb 12 2011 12:55 PM

Papapak:
i would rather have this than an ipad

It would be really nice if you could get this for the price of an iPad, then the choice would be easy, wouldn't it?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS