Is Apple More Reliable than Other Tech Companies?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,886
Points 1,173,720
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 30 2010 12:39 PM
A week ago today we posted an article examining the so-called "Apple Tax" and whether or not it exists. While the nomenclature isn't actually accurate, as it turns out, Apple does charge a premium for its parts, though it can be argued the Cupertino company provides a little extra as well, whether it be an IPS panel or "eye-catching designs." The story sparked quite the conversation in our comments section, and now we have another question: Are Apple computers more reliable and better supported than other PCs out there?

According to PC World's user survey, the answer is a resounding "Yes." The survey attracted an "unprecedented" 79,000 responses, in which "Apple once again smoked the competition in the desktop, notebook, and smartphone categories, winning high praise from customers in all reliability and service categories."

When it comes to desktop, 1 in 5 users overall reported that their problem was never resolved by the manufacturer, which works out to 20 percent. But as far as Apple users go, that number drops to less than 9 percent. The disparity was slightly larger with notebooks, with 23.6 percent of overall laptop users complaining of unresolved problems, compared to less than 8 percent of Apple laptop owners.

Check out the full survey here and then tell us if you agree with the results.
  • | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 455

I haven't read PC World in a long time because mainly I felt they became less tech savvy and more geared toward the average consumerist. I could be wrong, since I haven't been to their site since the D-link DI-624 router (who remembers those routers!?) Haha. As Ron Burgundy would say "I care to agree to disagree." I think that's how the quote goes.

To the point, I think Apple is doing a good enough job in being reliable for tech. support and service. They have so many stores around big cities that people can just go to other people to complain about their problems with Apple usually fixing it for them if they bought the plan. For the end user, that's all they want (for their stuff to work.) However, for system builders, it becomes a whole other story and I think many of us who build our own system can relate.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 527
Points 4,845

ASUS was rated about the same level as Apple was. Here is the thing, Apple is no more reliable then any other company that uses the same OEM to build their machines.

Surveys like this are highly inaccurate, since they rely on people actually writing in. Most people will not respond unless they have a problem, while most Apple fanatics will not respond even if they do. 20% means only 1 in 5 of the people who bothered to respond had a problem. The key point being 'bothered to respond'.

Just take a quick look over the varies Apple boards and you will see that they have as many problems as other companies. Actually, from the numbers there they could actually be slightly worse.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,094
Points 38,135
acarzt replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 3:05 PM

One big problem with this is... are the issues Hardware or Software based?

And how much of it is because the people using these computers just don't know what they're doing?

If you're not very good with technology, and it's not really your thing... are you going to buy the $1,000 laptop, or the $400 laptop?

The people buying Apples are definitely more into technology and trying hopelessly to be trendy with their iphones and ipad and such. lol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 527
Points 4,845

"We surveyed more than 79,000 PCWorld readers who responded to online and print advertisements, as well as e-mail messages, about our survey"

i.e. people who click on ads and read spam.

Further it says

"our results don't necessarily reflect the opinions of PCWorld readers in general."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,230
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 8:37 PM

I'm happy with the reliability of my Intel based iMac. I've had it for three years and it's been problem free the whole time.One thing that upset me when I bought it was how much Apple wanted for bumping the RAM to 4GB instead of the 2GB it came with. They wanted to charge me 700 Dollars for the switch and they were gonna keep the original 2GB. I just got it with the 2GB and ordered 2-2GB sticks of Corsair RAM online with faster Specs for 249 Dollars and gave my 2GB to my son for his MacBook.

So, to me, the reliability and quality is certainly there, but they should wear masks when they sell extra parts.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

acarzt:

And how much of it is because the people using these computers just don't know what they're doing?

Ding ding ding we have a winner!!!!!

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 455

@realneil Haha this is too true, I've been on Apple's site before to configure a macbook pro. If I grew money on trees, I'd buy the lowest grade of the macbook pro because they charge you an arm and a leg for the upgrades.

Sometimes, I wish everyone knew that upgrading ram in a laptop is super easy, but then again...people wouldn't be able to make a living if they did. Haha?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Wed, Dec 1 2010 10:57 AM

Macbook Pro's can't hold a candle to PowerBooks.

My MBPro lasted little over a year before repairs. I just had to replace the harddrive, the read/write arm control cable melted...

My iPhone (3gs) has been replaced twice with internal failures... But I'm "relaxed" cuz "it's just a phone"...

Ever since Steve came back, it seems that quality control has gone down. I know handfulls of others who have to get warranty repairs within the first year or two. Actually most of them occur after the first year, and you wonder why they push the extortion... i mean extended warranty.

Quality products would be backed by nicer warranties. (Reflecting the company's confidence in itself).  Like my 5 year warranty on my Corsair PSU.

edit: I'm referring only to MB Pros and laptops.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS