Bike Lock Keeps Your Bike Safe By Putting It Out of Thieves' Reach

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,804
Points 1,213,220
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Nov 29 2010 7:28 PM
In the quest to keep bicycles safe, here's a new idea. Instead of trying to create the invulnerable bicycle lock, how about having it shinny up whatever pole you attach it to instead, and out of harm's way?

A German company called Conrad had developed the ultimate bike lock. The making of video (below) shows how it works.

There are a few problems with the idea. For one, it certainly isn't the most portable of security devices. For another, we only hope no one, either because they don't notice your bike, or because they are complete a-holes, decides to hoist their bike up the pole beneath yours.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 5,365
FreeJet replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 1:03 AM

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 455

Hahaha wow, what an unwieldy device. What they should do is make it small enough to fit around the bike frame itself instead of being carried.

Freejet's sarcasm is where it's at, seriously, it's pretty nuts to carry that wherever you bike. I'd rather stick with the U-lock where it goes through the frame, tire, and stand to lock up the bike.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Nein, ich muss immer mein Fahrrad sicher!

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 9:03 AM

Many municipalities would get a bucket truck and cut that thing off of their pole as soon as they saw it there. It's just an expensive way to get a ticket.

(I have to say that I'd be tempted to take the bike and leave a tricycle hanging in it's place)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 670
sKrappy replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 12:45 PM

this idea is a waist of time i mean how many bikes can you practically hoist up a light pole before you have no more room.  some peoples kids.  and the only thing that get stolen off a bike are quick release parts. all you have to do is swap those out for some nuts and bolts and your fine.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 12:55 PM

sKrappy:
how many bikes can you practically hoist up a light pole before you have no more room.

Just one extra bike on that pole keeps the uppermost bike from coming down,....Crying.......

Idea And what if someone climbs the pole and cuts a wire, or somehow disables the device while it's up there?

It's just another fantastic idea that nobody really needs.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 324
Points 4,305

realneil:

It's just another fantastic idea that nobody really needs.

Well, hanging bikes is a waste, how about hanging kids? You can start a local Amusement Ride at your local light pole in your neighborhood !!

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 1:58 PM

That's funny, but with my luck the batteries would run out with somebody's brat up a pole, and I'd go to jail for 'Brat Endangerment'.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 344
Points 4,535
slugbug replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 8:56 PM

Cool idea but your bike lock may end up costing more than your bike.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS