HH Holiday Sweepstakes with Digital Storm - Win A Killer System!

This post has 360 Replies | 31 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Mon, Dec 6 2010 12:55 PM

I do love a spirited discussion though :)

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

rapid1:

I do love a spirited discussion though :)

so do I

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 945

Indeed! I havn't used forums for anything else except discussions about motorcycle parts for a couple years. I am quickly reminded how engaging AND taxing an opinion thread is.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

farfrmnormal:
I formed an opinion by posting just that on here earlier.  I am not judging anyone's choice to not join Facebook. 

I wasn't commenting on your input. It's just a weird twist to the thread and is probably resolved at this point.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 140

It is a weird twist to the thread.  I certainly wouldn't have expected it to turn this way.

Either way - it's conversation and again, I wasn't intending to offend anyone.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Mon, Dec 6 2010 1:26 PM

Ahh; the fun we have on HH, lol. I have decided to install the original Warcraft I had in the basement and download Cataclysm which goes live tonight as well. I was surprised when I opened this old box because it is 5 CD's. It has been a while since I installed something not on a DVD!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

farfrmnormal:
I wasn't intending to offend anyone.

Nor I

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965

realneil:
Too many people don't take the time to learn how to protect themselves while online ANYWHERE and having to travel a purposely convoluted route on FB clicking through settings pages to protect yourself and turn off their 'features' is a bunch of crap.

I agree, but the whole idea of privacy- really doesn't exist on the Internet. I do not understand why this false sense of security exists. Everything online is done in code. Every code can be decoded. Code can be figured out with the very things we use to access the web. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Hell a lot of credit/debit card information gets stolen off e-commerce sites (your profile or a copy of the transaction). Social security is laughable, thats everywhere.

But, you do not have to put up anything valuable on Facebook. I have a fake name, a spam email account (an old one I use to sign up for sh!t), limited access, i leave off every bit of personal info minus my birthday and my political views (I network with 3rd parties). If anyone hacked into my facebook, they'd just be exposed to my friends and I- calling each other douche-bag or talk about defiling each other's mother. I don't play the completely open profile game, but if I did- I wouldn't lose anything. I would just be bugged waaaaay more than I want to be. There is an API that allows you to see what is visible (to third party businesses) on your FB page if anyone is truly interested. Google it, I haven't used it in a while- no link.

The pictures and everything don't get deleted for like 8months after you delete your account (I think, lifehacker had a great fb privacy series).

Zuckerberg made a business - not a cool free service. It may have started that, but now it is everything but. With 500 million users, you can make alottaaaa coin. 

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

". Let imagine "Jane" made an internet purchase for a "device of pleasure"

By that timeline she must be a single mother by now Smile (Hope she looks like Mila Jovavich:) :P

I would like to meet this Jane you speak of! I like Mature women who likes to bring toys into playtimeBig Smile

She might even nickname me FacebookEmbarrassed

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

animatortom:
She might even nickname me Facebook

or faceplant

Edit: Houseplant?

EggPlant?

Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 945

Oh, this is a sophisticated place. Hot hardware: jacket and tie required.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 6 2010 10:30 PM

analogmonster:
Oh, this is a sophisticated place. Hot hardware: jacket and tie required.

You betch yur Adz,........

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 40,505
Inspector replied on Mon, Dec 6 2010 11:59 PM

LOL, dam i like how every facebook involved contest starts a conversion about facebook xD

Analogmonster, i think i may need to borrow one of yours, mines out for cleaning and will return in a few years...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

analogmonster:

Indeed! I havn't used forums for anything else except discussions about motorcycle parts for a couple years. I am quickly reminded how engaging AND taxing an opinion thread is.

I agree that opinion threads are VERY taxing, and they can grind you down pretty fast, too. Sometimes I have wondered why I even bother to post at all. So where is that motorcycle forum located?Tongue Tied

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 945

honda599.com is the the most recent, have some work to do on my hornet. Anything covering vintage hondas. The most helpful though, not surprisingly, is craigslist. Fastest and and most relevant responses.Ask the locals for local knowledge.

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 325

I WILL WIN THIS CONTEST!!!!!!

one way or another i will get a gaming rig. ive always wanted a gaming rig for few years and the time of computers seem to be faster than i couldve imagine 2-4 years ago. in the next 2-4 years this computer will be a dead technology, i cant imagine how fast the next best processor or how fast it will be. good luck to everyone entering in to this contest!!!!

I WILL WIN!!! BELIEVE IT!!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

U watchn too much Family Guy..... "Wish It Want It Do It." Hmm

Believing in change wont make you a millionaireCool

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,960
Resin replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 1:16 PM

I must be really behind on my Family Guy...no idea what your referencing...

loved that show way back when though.

but seriously besides wishing and wanting to win this contest,

the only doing is entering as laid out in the guide lines, and then "getting noticed" which is a litttle aggrevating,

particularly when you don't have much to say, like myself Stick out tongue

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

analogmonster:

honda599.com is the the most recent, have some work to do on my hornet. Anything covering vintage hondas. The most helpful though, not surprisingly, is craigslist. Fastest and and most relevant responses.Ask the locals for local knowledge.

My neighbor back on Long Island has two vintage hondas that he is always tweaking and working on.  I'm sure he'd be a good resource, granted I don't know any of his contact info.  SadDoes that make this a useless post?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

Resin:
"getting noticed" which is a litttle aggrevating, particularly when you don't have much to say

You seem to be doing fine so far,......I hear you.

You can also try reading the published items in the technology news sections and commenting about the technology being introduced.

(I honestly don't know jack-S about a lot of it and I KNOW it shows, but so what?) I still post, and I won a very nice i7-870 System here.

Maybe you could start a few threads in the forums about things that you DO know a lot about. We'd like to hear what's interesting, from everyone and anyone, even if it's only something like learning how to grow worms for fishing season, or for our gardens,......or what's the best way to de-ice your car's windows in the cold winter mornings.

I started a Joke thread and a Photo thread.

Go for it,......

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,960
Resin replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 6:56 PM

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions neil. Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,025
Optix replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 7:32 PM

Resin:
the only doing is entering as laid out in the guide lines, and then "getting noticed" which is a litttle aggrevating,

WE'RE GOING STREAKING!  NOTICE ME, DAVE!  NOTICE ME, MARCO!  WOOOOO!

Intel i3 530 @ 4.2Ghz/Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3/2x2GB G.Skill Eco & 2x2GB Kingston Blu @ 1520mhz, Coolit Vantage C240

Sapphire 6850 Toxic Edition, Mushkin Calisto Deluxe 60GB, Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black, Western Digital Scorpio Black 200GB (Vantec NexStar3 enclosure)

LG GH22LS50 DVD Writer, Ultra X4 850w PSU

Lian Li PC-P50WB

Slave to technology.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

Optix:
WE'RE GOING STREAKING!  NOTICE ME, DAVE!  NOTICE ME, MARCO!  WOOOOO!

Ha-Ha! Why that guy in the suit thinks he can catch the underwear guy is beyond me!

He's clutching his heart already!  Oh Lordy! (I hope he survived this game!)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

HELLO FRIEND

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,371
Points 30,940
rrplay replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 8:00 PM

realneil:

Ha-Ha! Why that guy in the suit thinks he can catch the underwear guy is beyond me!

He's clutching his heart already!  Oh Lordy! (I hope he survived this game!)

From the look on the suit - guys face....maybe he's pacing saving himself for a shot in the end zone !

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

Biggyjr86:
HELLO FRIEND

Welcome to Hot Hardware Forums!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

At that distance, if he had a Tazzer gun he could reach him!Indifferent

Now that would be Utoob worthy, to see that underwear guy soil the tighty whiteys in the middle of the fieldIck!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

NOTICE ME!,...............................WHEEE!,.....................NOTICE ME!,.......................

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

animatortom:
I would like to meet this Jane you speak of! I like Mature women who likes to bring toys into playtime

AND THEN THEY WERE CAUGHT IN THE ACT,.........NOTICE THEM!,.....NOTICE!,...........

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 9:09 PM

The guy in the suit looks like he is ready to get undressed to.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,960
Resin replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 11:44 PM

GIFSoup

Noticed.

But maybe we should discuss the Radeon HD 6870..., or some other aspects of this build..., or something.....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 180
Points 1,660

its really nice to be back after computer troubles

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Wed, Dec 8 2010 10:05 AM

Resin:
But maybe we should discuss the Radeon HD 6870..., or some other aspects of this build..., or something.....

Nope. Sorry.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Wed, Dec 8 2010 11:17 AM

As far as it goes the 6870 is only under the very top end Nvidia card right now. There are really several aspects to look at on this issue. The first is heat even there new 580 while it puts out less heat than the previous GPU, it still puts out significant heat well above what a Radeon puts out. It also uses more energy to a pretty high number as well. That to me is two strikes off the bat because I personally like to tweak my system. If I am going to do that in any form both excess heat and energy usage are my number one enemies.

On top of those things only the Nvidia top of the line card (the 580) outperforms the 6870 from what I have seen. The Nvidia card that performs even with it still costs a little bit more, produces a little more heat, and uses more energy. So to me it (the Nvidia) is not really a plus, and as far as it goes only works pretty much even with it anyway.

Now if we were talking the brand spanking new  (still not publicly released) ATI card or the 580 that would be interesting. I personally use a 5870 in one computer, and have a 5850 in Sarah's machine. The 5850 from what I have seen over all performs about even with the 6870 though maybe slight (very slightly) under it performance wise, while the 5870 performs better across the board than any of these GPU's except the 580.

So basically the 6870 to me is a great card! Which makes it no discussion unless we are talking one of those two GPU's. I personally have decided to stick it out until the next ATI release with the 5870, or maybe seeing what Nvidia does price/performance wise one of there cards. As it goes the 5870 even performs just under the 580 while running cooler and using less energy.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Dec 8 2010 11:33 AM

rapid1:
seeing what Nvidia does price/performance wise one of their cards

The NVIDIA GTX-570's were released yesterday and timely reviews have shown them to be quite capable.

They also have a nice price point @ $350.00 or so,........so the competition is heating up and the ball is now in AMD's court.

Let's see their newest offerings now,.....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,025
Optix replied on Wed, Dec 8 2010 7:23 PM

Woohoo!  Go 6850!  Dirt cheap, tons of horsepower and overclocks like the dickin's!  I know it's at the bottom of the review but look at the scores!  Playable frame rates no matter what's thrown at it.  Well, except AvP.

Well, nothing to do but kick it with my homies and knock back some brews!  Yeah, we're cool alright.

Don't mess with them.  They'll F you up!

Intel i3 530 @ 4.2Ghz/Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3/2x2GB G.Skill Eco & 2x2GB Kingston Blu @ 1520mhz, Coolit Vantage C240

Sapphire 6850 Toxic Edition, Mushkin Calisto Deluxe 60GB, Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black, Western Digital Scorpio Black 200GB (Vantec NexStar3 enclosure)

Lian Li PC-P50WB

Slave to technology.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

Optix:
Don't mess with them.  They'll F you up

Wilted FlowerNo, they're too busy 'Noticing' me Wilted Flower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,025
Optix replied on Wed, Dec 8 2010 8:57 PM

realneil:

Optix:
Don't mess with them.  They'll F you up

Wilted FlowerNo, they're too busy 'Noticing' me Wilted Flower

Lian Li PC-P50WB

Slave to technology.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Dec 8 2010 10:22 PM

You DO know that that guy you like is married to Isla Fischer, right?   

The Isla you see here in her hiking outfit?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 324
Points 4,305

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

Page 5 of 10 (361 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS