Antec Launches High Current Gamer Series PSUs

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,150
Points 1,185,180
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Nov 17 2010 5:06 PM

Antec launched the High Current Gamer series of PSUs with five models. This series offers users the high current capability favored by high-power users, as well as over current protected +12V rails with High Current functionality.  The High Current Gamer PSUs also include a 135 mm double-ball bearing fan.

The series includes two top-end models, the HCG-750 and HCG-900, which offer 750 and 900-watts of Continuous Power, respectively. Three additional models in the series, the HCG-620, HCG-520 and HCG-400, offer 620, 520 and 400-watts of Continuous Power.

Antec Rolls Out High Current Gamer Series

Latest Power Supply Lineup Offers Exceptional High-Powered +12V Rails With Safety and Stability for High-Performance and Gaming Systems

FREMONT, CANovember 17, 2010 – Antec, Inc., the global leader in high-performance computer components and accessories for the gaming, PC upgrade and Do-It-Yourself markets, today announced the first complete series of power supply units (PSUs) to offer consumers the high current capability favored by gamers and other high-power users, along with the safety of over current protection on all power rails.

The High Current Gamer series is designed to optimize high-output current delivery while reducing wiring loss, resulting in unsurpassable value and reliability in a package that provides affordability and accessibility to gamers and power users working within varying budgets.

Every model in the High Current Gamer series features over current protected +12V rails with High Current functionality, allowing them to deliver high power while minimizing power loss to wiring resistance. All High Current Gamer power supplies achieve the 80 PLUS® Bronze certification level, delivering their rated Continuous Power with a minimum of 82% efficiency at typical loads. Active Power Factor Correction (Active PFC) on all models, with a power factor above 0.9 helps to reduce electrical waste and further increases efficiency.

The series features two top-end models: the HCG-750 and HCG-900, each delivering 750 and 900-watts of Continuous Power, respectively. The series is rounded out with three additional models: HCG-620, HCG-520 and HCG-400, each outputting its own rated 620, 520 and 400-watts of Continuous Power.

"Gamers and high-performance users looking for a top-notch solution to power demanding builds should look to Antec's High Current Gamer series," said Scott Richards, senior vice president of Antec. "As the first consumer power supply line to offer a fully protected 40 amperes of maximum current on its +12V rails, the HCG gives users outstanding power capabilities needed to support the most current high-end graphics cards, extensive drive arrays and multi-core CPUs. The HCG is a striking example of Antec's ongoing dedication to producing innovative, reliable products that meet the latest needs of gamers and creative users."

The High Current Gamer series supports Intel multi-core, Core i3, Core i7 and Core i5 CPUs, as well as AMD Phemon II X6 CPUs and quad GPUs. In addition, the HCG-750 and HCG-900 are NVIDIA® SLI®-Ready and ATI CrossFireX™ certified.

Additional features on the High Current Gamer include reliable Japanese brand capacitors as well as a 135 mm double-ball bearing fan, providing the performance, reliability and high stability required for cutting-edge gaming and professional systems.

The entire High Current Gamer series is now available through major retailers, e-tailers and distributors. The HCG-400, HCG-520 and HCG-620 models are backed by Antec's AQ3 Antec Quality 3-Year limited warranty on parts and labor, and the HCG-750 and HCG-900 are backed by Antec's AQ5 Antec Quality 5-Year limited warranty on parts and labor. Visit www.facebook.com/AntecInc and www.antec.com for product updates and information.

The official High Current Gamer series product video is available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANOPJveroLU and http://www.youtube.com/user/watchAntecTV.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,945

And unless your running GTX 480 or 580 in SLI, the 520 is all you need. This trend towards massively over sized power supplies the last few years has totally baffled me. What is the point of them when your idle is under 20% power?

PSUs, even gold cert ones, have crap efficency below 20%. So you blow way more money then you need to on a PSU, along with way more money then you need to on the state you PC spends most of its time, idle. Unless your doing some extreme overclocking with multiple top end GPUs, a 500~600 watt PSU is all you need and most people can easily get away with a 400 watt unit.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
ZappCatt replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 12:12 PM

ummmm if you are a GAMER, you better make sure you have enough power when you need it, i.e. while GAMING...who cares if you are not at full efficiency while starting up to get your game running.

I would love you to toss a 520 into a true gaming machine. Core i7, Geforce 470/Radeon 5850, couple hard drives, couple optical drives, case fans plethera of USB devices

The cost of blown components would outweigh the inefficiencies for several years.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 1:00 PM

The trick is making sure the PSU you are getting is johnnyguru tested and approved. That site is the best PSU review site, and the reason i got my Seasonic X650 Gold. It is one of the few Gold Certified PSU's that get 90% effecency under 20% load. The sad thing about most PSU's is that they say they are 600w but they crap once they hit only 400w. Two components in a PC you should never skimp on is your PSU and Motherboard.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 2:07 PM

Drago:
......johnnyguru tested and approved,.......That site is the best PSU review site, and the reason i got my Seasonic X650 Gold

I too like the SeaSonic brand and have three of them now. Two are 80+Bronze 650W and one is 80+Silver 750W certified. I'm installing them exclusively all of the time.

I went through a period of Antec PSU Failures a few years ago, and consequently swore off of them because of it. I hope that they have their quality control issues ironed out by now. They were one of the best a long, long time ago.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,945

Been there, done that.  550 powering a Core i7 930, 6GB ram, Radeon 5850, 2 HDDs, and a DVD drive in my secondary gaming rig.  Actually way more power then what is needed with the 550, but I got a good deal on it.  Total power draw while gaming is under 400 watts.

Here, this might help.  http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
They will give you an idea of the size PSU you need, using actual per part power draw for every single thing in your system that draws power.  If you want to be safe and have some expansion room, go 20~25% larger.  Just make sure you get a high quality PSU that puts out near its full capacity on the 12V rail(s).

Having far more than you need in a PSU falls under the "too much of a good thing" classification.

Neil, most Antec PSU's are now made by SeaSonic.  Antec has never actually produced any of their PSUs.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Nov 18 2010 4:46 PM

InfinityzeN1:
Neil, most Antec PSU's are now made by SeaSonic.  Antec has never actually produced any of their PSUs.

It doesn't matter to me unless SeaSonic handles the warranty work on them. Most of the problems with Antec were with their customer service. I got tired of being treated like a second class citizen just for returning defective goods. There were a lot of them too.

As to the size of my PSU's, I eventually plan to go with dual video cards in them all. So I get a little more of a PSU now. The PC's came with 850's and 900's in them and I got rid of those.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

realneil:

Drago:
......johnnyguru tested and approved,.......That site is the best PSU review site, and the reason i got my Seasonic X650 Gold

I too like the SeaSonic brand and have three of them now. Two are 80+Bronze 650W and one is 80+Silver 750W certified. I'm installing them exclusively all of the time.

I went through a period of Antec PSU Failures a few years ago, and consequently swore off of them because of it. I hope that they have their quality control issues ironed out by now. They were one of the best a long, long time ago.

I guess if that's the case, then I've been lucky.  I've never had a problem with my Antec and think it's great.  However, if I had the cash for a new build I would go with a SeaSonic.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS