Jolicloud Introducing Their Own Netbook: Jolibook

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,805
Points 1,164,410
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Nov 14 2010 7:50 PM
As far as we knew, Jolicloud was a software company. And they still are. But now, they're a hardware company too. Or at least they are partnering with a computer maker in order to make themselves seem like one! Either way, Jolicloud is doing the unthinkable soon: they'll be introducing a netbook of their own with their own Jolibook operating system onboard.

This will be going up against dozens and dozens of netbooks powered by Windows 7, and considering that Microsoft's OS is the one with the most mindshare, it looks like Jolicloud will be facing an uphill battle to gain acceptance in the market. Critics who have tried the OS have been pleased, and considering that even Apple is moving towards a more app-like structure, it seems like Jolicloud's Jolibook may be on a path of success.

These images show what we can expect from the device, but only a few details on the internals are out right now. It will ship soon with an Atom N550 processor, a 250GB hard drive and Jolicloud 1.1 as the operating system. There's not a mention of a price, release date or screen size, but it will have to be priced competitively to even stand a chance. We definitely hope it is; Microsoft needs some serious competition in this market sector.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 12:44 PM

It looks good but do I really see myself using this as a day-to-day notebook with an OS like that. Probably not.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545
digitaldd replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 1:34 PM

Looks like it could be a twin of the MSI Wind netbooks.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
gorbal replied on Wed, Nov 17 2010 6:26 AM

I've used Jolicloud 1.0 since it came out, and it works so much better than the other operating systems I tried on my netbook. Most everyday applications run fine on it, my only issue is there is no kindle app that will work on it yet.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
gorbal replied on Wed, Nov 17 2010 6:40 AM

Never mind, I just figured out the beta version works with wine, YES!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS