Intel Puts Lower Priced SSDs in Your Christmas Stocking

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,111
Points 1,184,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Nov 12 2010 12:10 PM
It doesn't matter whether you landed on Santa's naughty or nice list this year, or if you even celebrate the holidays, not as far as Intel is concerned. Why? The world's largest chip maker just sent word that it lowered prices and introduced a new model of its SSD product line in time for the holiday buying season.

"Every Christmas, consumers are looking for the latest tech gadget; this year, with prices dropping, the solid-state drive is becoming more mainstream and can make the single greatest improvement to PC performance," said Troy Winslow, director of product marketing for the Intel NAND Solutions Group. "With an SSD, tech shoppers can give the gift of a technology makeover that will help speed up, or breathe new life, into a current PC by just swapping out the hard drive for an SSD."

New pricing for the Intel X25-M in 80GB form has been set to $199, while the 160GB version is now priced at $415. In addition, Intel has gone and released a 120GB model, which the chip maker plans to sell for $249.

Still too rich for your blood? Welcome to the world of SSDs, and not even a price break can hide the fact that these suckers carry a heavy premium when compared to mechanical hard drives. But hey, at least they've finally reached 'affordable' status, especially if you can make do with a lower capacity drive. Intel's X25-V in 40GB form, for example, can be bought for less than a C-note.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, Nov 12 2010 3:22 PM

:( still too high for my budget... Maybe HH can sponsor me... lol :P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,623
Points 103,925
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Nov 12 2010 9:52 PM

Wilted Flower OZC Vertex and Agility-II Wilted Flower

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Nov 13 2010 2:27 AM

Better yet, OCZ RevoDrive.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,623
Points 103,925
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Nov 13 2010 10:06 AM

TaylorKarras:
Better yet, OCZ RevoDrive.

You're right, but the OZC's are within budget and are faster than the Intel drives.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 95
aberkae replied on Sat, Nov 13 2010 9:16 PM

The price drop does not seem like anything significant! the prices were within 10% from what it was for about past 2 years now!

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 675

lol, I bought my X25-M 80GB for 220 some while ago. Doesn't look like any price drop to get too crazy about. Call me back when these go for 100 dollars a pop.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS