Microsoft Prepping Record Breaking Patch

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,157,125
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Oct 8 2010 11:44 AM
If you have the misfortune of living in an area where dial-up is still the only option, you have our condolences. Not just because dial-up sucks, but also because you're not going to doing much of anything online next Tuesday other than downloading security updates. Microsoft is putting together its biggest patch ever, a record 16 security updates to address 49 vulnerabilities in Windows, Internet Explorer, Office, and Sharepoint.

Out of the 16 updates, Microsoft has labeled 4 of them as "Critical," 10 of them "Important," and 2 of them "Moderate." Most of the updates address threats related to Remote Code Execution, and several of them require a restart.

"I have a theory about the large October updates," said Andrew Storms, director of security operations for nCircle Security. "It's the year-end financial and retail push by most companies, which go into lockdown mode the last two months of the year, when they don't update their systems."

Despite the record breaking nature of this upcoming Patch Tuesday, this falls in line with Microsoft's update strategy. Larger updates typically land on even-numbered months as Redmond has taken to alternating big and small updates every month.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,764
Points 40,470

"It's the year-end financial and retail push by most companies, which go into lockdown mode the last two months of the year, when they don't update their systems."

Is that saying we won't be getting more updates anytime soon after this? They have been doing small updates recently the past week i think.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Fri, Oct 8 2010 3:47 PM

Is anyone even going to need to patch on Tuesday? I thought Ubuntu 10.10 comes out on Sunday.

Yes, in my delusional world everyone switches to the unadvertised, secure, and free solution. Haha...

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,563
Points 103,070
MembershipAdministrator

Patch away! just don't sca-rew my systems up!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS