Next up: Google, The Movie

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,824
Points 1,167,010
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Oct 5 2010 9:21 PM

The box office success of The Social Network has spurred Hollywood to get a move on with a movie about Google.  Groundswell bought the rights to adapt Ken Auletta’s bestseller Googled: The End of the World as We Know It and has begun the hunt for a screenplay writer in earnest.

Groundswell picked up the movie rights to Googled in August. At the time, no one was sure when the film would make it to the screen if ever. With critical acclaim being heaped on The Social Network, the producer is now hot to find a writer who can do for the Google story what Aaron Sorkin did for Ben Mezrich's then-obscure tale of Facebook, The Accidental Billionaires. (Mezrich is better known for his New York Times bestseller Bringing Down the House: The True Story of Six MIT Kids Who Took Vegas for Millions, a great book -- I have a copy on my bookshelf right now.)

Groundswell has gone so far as to set the date for the movie's release -- 2012. It could be a well-done movie if Groundswell's previous films are any indication. The production house is responsible for "Milk" the story of Harvey Milk, and Matt Damon's comic thriller "The Informant," among others.

The question is, where will it end? Can we expect to see the big screen version of The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia? Or The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison: *God Doesn't Think He's Larry Ellison? (Seriously, if ever there was a Silicon Valley bad boy, Ellison is it.) I don't think a worthy book about Twitter has been written yet, but maybe we'll still be treated to "Twitter: How 140 Characters and A Lot of Down Time Changed Mobile Phones Forever."

Funny, but the stories of Microsoft and Apple have so far only warranted a made-for-TV movie -- The Pirates of Silicon Valley. The move achieved critical kudos at the time it was aired, in 1999, earning itself a handful of Emmy nominations.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator

News:
Can we expect to see the big screen version of The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia?

My wife is an English Teacher and they don't allow Wikipedia to be used as a source on any assignments. The fact that anyone can change the data at any time puts them off.

There do remain a few good subjects for books in Silicon Valley, since so much of computer history was written and accomplished there, I just don't see Wikipedia as one of them.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545

if they do a Hollywood style version of the Google story, like they did with Facebook it could be good. But the real story is boring as hell.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

Both moives will suck....

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 6 2010 12:27 PM

Der Meister:

Both moives will suck....

agreed

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

Hollywood needs to stop making crap movies... What happed to movies like Gladiator or saving private ryan? They cant have run out of Ideas..... 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 6 2010 12:57 PM

Der Meister:
Hollywood needs to stop making crap movies..

I've found that a few low budget Indie movies were good, but nothing compares to the old ones.

I recently saw "Papillon" made in 1973, (a true story) and it was incredible. Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman worked well together portraying French prisoners sent to the penal colonies in New Guinea. It's very realistic. They just don't make movies like that anymore.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,542
Points 54,455
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Oct 6 2010 1:22 PM

I'm hearing excellent things about the Social Network and I'm definitely going to see it, though I may wait till it comes to pay per view. I tend to only visit theaters when the larger format will do a movie justice, like Avatar for example.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Wed, Oct 6 2010 4:24 PM

Although I do not like Facebook, I can not deny the greatness of the Social Network. I give all the credit to two people, David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin. I've been a fan of Sorkin's line of work for years..

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,772
Points 40,510

I was going to watch it but seeing how people said it WOULD suck they don't want to go with me :( lol. Now that its out many say its very good, so im probably going to wait for it to be on dvd or something and watch it at home :). If this google movie is the same i might watch it too :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 107
Points 2,095
RA1D replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 3:41 AM

i saw the social network yesterday. after hearing it was one of the best movies of the year, i had high expectations going in. i thought it was interesting and entertaining, but definitely not on Inception's level as movie of the year. but i did enjoy it and think it was worth watching. i would watch it again.

btw, great post julie b

Intel 920 / Rampage II Extreme / Dominator 6GB DDR3-1600 / Gigabyte SuperOC 5870  / Torqx 128GB

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545
digitaldd replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:52 AM

realneil, Papillon is a classic. anyone who hasn't seen it should add it to their queue.

on the "Social Network" it is a good movie, David Fincher made a movie witha bunch of conversation build momentum like a thriller. Jesse Eisenberg might get an oscar nod this year as there haven't been too many great movies this year. And the better movies I've seen so far "Winters Bone" and "the Kids are Alright" didn't have good male leads.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS