Intel VS. AMD @ $249.99...Which CPU Would YOU Choose?

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave Posted: Wed, Sep 29 2010 12:33 AM

The local Fry's has been advertising an AMD 1090T six-core processor for $249.99, but they are also offering the Intel i7 950 quad-core processor for the same price! Decisions decisions. I'm in no position to buy at this time, but I'm curious as to which YOU guys would choose!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

i7 950 hands down!

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,341
Points 48,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Sep 29 2010 10:12 AM

Tough call man.  It depends on what you're going to do with the system.  If you're just going to be gaming, go with the Core i7.  But, if you may be doing some video encoding, or working with multi-threaded apps, the 1090T can hang with the i7 965. 

Other things to consider are total cost.  An X58 mobo plus triple channel RAM is going to be more expensive than a nice 890FX and a dual-channel kit.  And overclocking with a Black Edition like the 1090T is way more flexible.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Marco C:
Other things to consider are total cost.  An X58 mobo plus triple channel RAM is going to be more expensive than a nice 890FX and a dual-channel kit.  And overclocking with a Black Edition like the 1090T is way more flexible.

Took the works right out of my mouth. X58 boards are expensive. Plus I have been wanting to get my hands on a Phenom II to play with. A black edition would be a lot of fun. The only reason I have stayed on Intel's socket 775 is because I kinda have a upgrade chain going on. I get a new CPU or motherboard and the old one goes into Jen's PC. With the same socket it just makes things easier. Though with the move in sockets anyway I kinda wanna go with AMD my next upgrade round. I may break from the path and get Jen a AMD board soon. I'm still happy with my Q9650, but her poor E4300 is starting to show it's age, though she kinda sticks to Team Fortress 2 and doesn't play to many new games.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

I always want to try an Intel cpu because I have only built AMD, but I would probably buy a 1090T again, because of the cost of the rest of the system.  Plus you'll be ready for a bulldozer cpu when the time comes to upgrade.

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Wed, Sep 29 2010 5:43 PM

I say i7-950! :) lol

microcenter has it for $230, $250 after taxes, they are store pick up only though.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Wed, Sep 29 2010 6:38 PM

Well... intel has a whole new Chip and Socket in the works... So the potential to upgrade down the road is pretty much Zero, if that's something you're concerned about.

Meanwhile AMD is sticking with the same sockets it seems. Altho I think I heard somewhere they might intro a new socket.

So eitherway you could end up killing any potential to upgrade lol

With all of these new chips right around the corner... I would save the money I was going to spend on building a system around either chip... and spend it on one of the new chips :-P

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Wed, Sep 29 2010 6:45 PM

But seeing how the price would be so much higher and not too much option till a few months, if you need the system go you might not be able to wait for it. Also, what u going to do when they announce another new chip a few months after this new chip? the wait would just be endless.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator

This is the exact decision that I have to make in late November. I'm leaning towards the 1090T Hex-Core because of the mainboard and RAM being less money. That will leave some extra cash for an SSD drive to throw in there. I realize that for gaming, the Intel will do it better as games stand now. But I also wonder if future games will utilize the extra cores. It's a possibility, isn't it?

I think that I can depend on the Hex-Core Black to do the games I have quite acceptably,.......and I do have one application that I use presently that uses all of the i7-870 Lynnfield's cores, and also uses the GTX285 GPU's CUDA to advantage too.

Six cores and the CUDA capabilities of two GTX460's should really make for some rapid video encoding.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator

realneil:
This is the exact decision that I have to make in late November.

Maybe the price will drop even more by then!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Oct 11 2010 10:54 AM

Super Dave:
Maybe the price will drop even more by then!

That's what I've been hoping for. SSD prices could plummet, and by then we may see an introduction of AMD's new GPU's too. In just a few months, everything can change.

One thing's for sure when it comes to buying computer parts, time is on your side,.......you just have to try not to wait forever.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS