Crossfire questions

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255
lifeskills Posted: Thu, Sep 16 2010 11:48 PM

Guess what, I'm ordering another 5850 tomorrow and am going to set up some crossfire action.  just a couple of questions for the pros out there

1.  My motherboard ( MSI 890fxa-gd70 ) supports 2 cards in x16 slots as long as they are in slots # 1 and 4.  The layout of this board puts the first slot very high, and through testing with my first 5850 my motherboard temps are noticably higher(4-5 degrees) with the card in the top slot.  If I were to put the cards lower, say in slots 2 and 4, I would be running on card on 16 pci lanes and one card on 8 pci lanes(i think this is what they are called).  Would this affect my performance, or do I want to run them both on 16x lanes?

2.  Do I need one or two crossfire connections?  The cards both come with a short one, but I only have one long one that came with the motherboard, and wondering if I need to order another in order to set the cards apart as mentioned above^

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Fri, Sep 17 2010 2:11 AM

As far as running one ins 8x and the other in 16x... I don't think you will see a difference.. Maybe a frame or 2?

As for the other part of the question... i'm not incredibly familiar with the configuration of crossfire.

In the olden days when it first came out, you had to buy a card that was specifically labeled as a crossfire card, and then just a normal card to be it's slave heh.

SLI is so much simpler.. you just slap on that connector and done.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Fri, Sep 17 2010 2:38 AM

lol... i'm finding conflicting answer... Some say you only need 1... other's say you need both.

I would use both... also I found this little guide for driver install....

1.) Start by removing the drivers first with the ATI Uninstall Utility via the Add/Remove Programs of the Control Panel.
2.) Then uninstall the current Display Adapter(s) via the Device Manager.
3.) Power down and remove second card (if applicable).
4.) Boot into “Safe Mode” and use Driver Cleaner Pro to remove misc. drivers & registry entries. Follow up by using “Search” in the “All Files and Folders” with “ATI” as the search criteria for “All or part of the file name”. This will help clear any stragglers.
5.) Boot normally and install Catalyst flavor of choice.
6.) Power down and install second card (do not install Crossfire bridge at this point!).
7.) Boot and CANCEL out of Hadware Installation Wizard.
8.) Find second card in Device Manager (the Display Adapter with the yellow triangle) and right-click to “Update driver”. Use specific location and browse to original Catalyst install folder. (Normally C:/ATI/SUPPORT/8. xxxxxxx.xxx/DRIVER/(select folder based on current OS). This should install the driver on second card.
9.) Power down and install Crossfire bridge.
10.) Copy the folder provided at the bottom of this post into your Crysis directory: Electronic Arts>Crytek>Crysis>Game and replace/overwrite everything.(Make a backup of your original, just in case!) It is just the entire "Config" folder from the Crysis SP Demo. Use you own copy if you feel more comfortable.
11.) (Tech)Power up, open Catalyst Control Center to “Enable Crossfire” and ENJOY!

11 easy steps to smooth gaming!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Fri, Sep 17 2010 2:41 AM

Also... I learned the you can crossfire any 5800 series cards or any 5700 series cards.(you can't cross 5700 and 5800)

Very interesting... I wonder what kind of scaling that provides...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255
lifeskills replied on Fri, Sep 17 2010 10:28 AM

thnks for all the info.  I have read a variety of things as well, some people have said to use both connectors, but I also read one site that said using both connectors can actually cause output problems if used with 2 or less cards.  

I think you're supposed to use one, unless you have 3 or 4 cards.

I also got to thinking about my card placement.  Although I could move the top card down, lowering the temps on the NorthBridge, That would probly just raise the temps of the cards.  

Im obviosly getting ahead of myself as I have to order one card and RMA the other today.  So Probly wont have them both at the same time for a while lol.

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS