Intel Developer Forum 2010 Day 2 Coverage

This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,721
Points 1,208,725
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2010 11:36 PM
Day two of the Intel Developer’s Forum was kicked off with a couple of keynote addresses from Renee James, the Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Software and Services Group at Intel and Doug Davis, the Vice President and General Manager of the Embedded and Communications Group. The main focus of their talks revolved around Atom, the ecosystem surrounding it and other low-power Intel platforms, as well as physics and improving the gaming experience for Intel IGP enabled products.

Physics and Intel Architecture and Atom CE 4200 - Day 2 IDF Keynote
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Developer-Forum-2010-Day-2-Keynote-Coverage/

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,758
Points 104,990
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Sep 15 2010 7:02 PM

Lots of cool new toys for us to play with.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Man what a bunch of smoke and mirrors! they would never be able to get away with that at Siggraph!

They really make the animations impressive when they have all the secondary dynamics already calculated and rendered out! If that guy was actually in front of the computer and doing that in real time then I would have been impressed.  At best he was in front of it just compositing multiple animated layers together of the troll. The cloth and Fur dynamics on the Troll and the dress still have to be run through the simulation process even during playback. I can tend to believe that it will be super fast playing back in the view ports. But they make it seem like you are going to be able to create that within the computer with a push of the button?

The cloth on the dress just seems like they have the Tension Bias up to high. They could have easily used a denim modifier on the left and a silk setting on the right. That is exactly what it looks like. Doesn't have much to do with the processors, one just may calculate the simulation faster than the other. But when scrolled through and played back they will be the same. Also if you use segment sectioning instead of the now common delaunay tessellation on the mesh, that would be the very noticeable difference to anyone who uses cloth.

At least the ridged dynamics makes more sense! With that you can see that one script can run with reaction to the impacts on the bridge. That kind of engine is built into most games, and if it doesn't use sectional animations pre-stored, then it can still use particle effectors built into the grenades. Yet cloth which has multiple directions and forces pushing and pulling in all directions, it is to tricky to do in real time. When we change a leg or arm and move the character around, we always have to update the calculations before we can play it back like that.

So I am sure they had a wizard behind the curtain:P

I like the Dell Tabletop though!
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD