Windows Phone 7 RTM = Funeral for iPhone, and Microsoft Holds It

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,841
Points 1,169,945
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Sep 11 2010 11:36 AM
Microsoft really isn't that good at being snarky (witness the Bill Gates / Jerry Seinfeld ads), but they try. Windows Phone 7 has gone RTM, and thus the company decided it was time for a funeral, not for Windows 6.5 (which might have been appropriate), but for the iPhone.

The procession alone was silly enough, as is probably the thought of Windows Phone 7 killing off iPhone. Of course, we could be wrong. Nah.

For those wondering where Android is in all of this, it's behind the camera lens. The image above, for example, comes via the Flickr photostream of Microsoft employee "Carl J." It's clear he's using a Sprint Evo 4G (Android), based on his photostream.

Still sillier is this image which seems to be advertising the ability to Win Phone Sex. The rather nubile Daisy Duke types aboard don't seem to be Microsoft employee types, although those around the "float" do (indeed, to prevent too much flak from the backlash, we are sure there are at least some Daisy Duke types at Microsoft).

Oh, let's not forget the Thriller dance employees did. See below.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Sep 11 2010 3:01 PM

While the MS employees were planning their delusional fieldtrip and building the props, about 1200 new apps were added to the iPhone store.

The whole "mock funeral" craze peaked a few years ago.  Doesn't Microsoft have *any* original ideas?

>> Oh, let's not forget the Thriller dance employees did.

What I infer from that is that the Microsoft employees were secretly hinting that they were being forced to do the parade, and have a working environment equivalent to being imprisoned in the Phillipines....  since that's the 3yr-old viral phenomenon they were imitating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o

>> The image above, for example, comes via the Flickr photostream of Microsoft employee "Carl J." It's clear he's using a Sprint Evo 4G (Android), based on his photostream.

Hilarious.

Update:  Gartner and IDC say that Android will be most popular mobile OS by 2014.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,550
Inspector replied on Sat, Sep 11 2010 4:28 PM

LOL "Win phone sex" :P

That dance was funny! But hey will the iphone ever have a funeral? :)

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105
dcford replied on Sat, Sep 11 2010 7:53 PM

I seriously doubt that no matter how much Win Phone 7 will be better than previous Microsoft flops of phone OS' that its going to put too much of a dent in the pockets of Apple or any of the Android phone makers or Google.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Sep 11 2010 7:56 PM

Are you kidding? Win Mo 7 is going to be the biggest thing since the Kin! I'm pretty sure that, strictly speaking, it should be referred to as "Kin's next of kin".

Oh wait..  it turns out that the Microsoft Kin was a phone that *actually* died recently.  I wonder why they didn't throw it a parade?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,573
Points 103,135
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Sep 11 2010 9:36 PM

They (Microsoft) are a never ending parade of denial and blindness coupled with a healthy dose of frustration. They have no room to pick at the iPhone, and yes, Android is gonna kick everyone's ass.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Sep 11 2010 11:35 PM

>> They (Microsoft) are a never ending parade of denial and blindness coupled with a healthy dose of frustration.

Gotta agree with that.

I've usually laughed at fanboy's on every side of every computing argument throughout my life. I've been lucky enough to be able to afford both competitors in most of the battles, and have been very aware of how the competition of each helps drive innovation. However...

Microsoft is the sole company (well... there have been a few things in Intel's history, but they're pretty much square with me as of recent policy), that I can't find any compassion towards. Microsoft's history of destroying innovative competitors and then leaving markets to rot while they spread themselves ever thinner across all of computing not only irritates me, but makes me feel like we are living 15 years behind where we should be. Then, the fact that they blatantly deny history and talk about how innovative they are irks me more.

The simple fact is that as long as Windows has the largest marketshare, Microsoft has the ability to, and no compunction to not, do everything they can to break apps that aren't using their own APIs (and thus locked into their OS). This work is great for their profit margins, but does nothing for us as users. So, I would suggest to everyone that you do *not* buy a Windows phone, unless you really hate having options and seeing visible progress.

If anyone thinks that the Microsoft product will be better simply because it has Windows in the name (and trust me this is as much Win7 as Android is ChromeOS), I'd love to hear why you believe that. I'm actually fascinated by how some people love Microsoft so much, and would love an intelligent adult discourse on the subject.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sun, Sep 12 2010 12:05 AM

It would have been really cool to see the Rev. Balmer deliver a fire and brimstone eulogy! I wish my employer did fun stuff like this. What a great morale booster, and it looks like everyone there had a good time!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

So what? They are telling everyone to "Read the Memo"?

Or are we supposed to tell the GF to Remember the Milk?

At least they are not having Employee jobs funerals, for the ones that went to China like Apple did!

Just wish Gates would have created a bunch of new companies instead of giving half his fortune away to avoid it being stollen by the goment:P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, Sep 12 2010 9:42 AM

>> At least they are not having Employee jobs funerals, for the ones that went to China like Apple did!

According to the Wall Street Journal, MS is about to lay off several hundred employees. Or maybe it'll be another 5000 like last year.  It's not very funny to see them laying off Americans while still handing out H-1B's left and right.  Of course, MS may now be considered an Irish company, given their move of subsidiaries there to avoid paying US taxes.

I'm not sure which jobs you're talking about in China, but surely you don't think Microsoft is any better?

>> Just wish Gates would have created a bunch of new companies

Well, the companies definitely wouldn't be in the computing field. It would be a conflict of interest, since MS's whole business model now depends solely on leveraging their OS and billions in capital to takeover any profitable markets from independent companies.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Sep 12 2010 2:29 PM

Great, now I wonder if Apple will parody this at it's next conference.

Seriously, a funeral for the iPhone? They RTM'd it without even adding multitasking and copy and paste and they expect this to sell? Well I think the people who would buy this is gamers who love Xbox and people who don't want to be part of the iPhone or Android crowd, this is going to end up with the same fate as those KIN phones that Microsoft made. Maybe Apple will hold a funeral for Windows Phone 7 once it severly flops.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, Sep 12 2010 3:28 PM

Apple's next press conf will look something like this old one:

If Microsoft had come to market with a decent product first, they would have quickly built an uncrackable marketshare.  But, now that people have already tried phones that don't have "Windows" in their name, the world has learned that they can interact with the Internet and PC file formats regardless of the OS their device uses.

So now, I expect Windows will eventually gain a respectable (but not majority) marketshare (the hole has got to fill up once you throw enough money into it).  I don't see Windows ever being the most cutting edge or most open platform, so the other players will maintain a decent share as well.  Score one for diversity in the marketplace.

Unfortunately for us, the next battleground won't be a series of innovations to see who can "out-tech" the other... it will be a never-ending series of patent acquisitions and lawsuits as the companies with money try to build walls to keep competition out.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,705
lonewolf replied on Sun, Sep 12 2010 9:01 PM

I love a woman who wears Daisy Dukes.

On a more serious note I do not see the Windows 7 phone killing of the I-Phone.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS