Parrot's Quadricopter Readies for iDevice-controlled Launch

This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,407
Points 1,192,860
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Sep 5 2010 1:15 PM
Remote-controlled helicopters are not new, but Parrot's AR.Drone Quadricopter is set to make a splash when it goes on sale on Sept. 9th. It will use an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad as a controller, and give a live video feed from two different cameras to the "pilot."

Indeed, the AR part of the AR.Drone Quadricopter's name comes from the use of "augmented reality." Meanwhile, quadricopter means what it sounds like: the Parrot AR.Drone Quadricopter (Amazon.com) will have four rotors.

The AR.Drone only lasts 12 minutes on a single charge of its batteries. However, unlike the devices will be used to control it, it will have user-replaceable batteries, with a recharge time of 1 1/2 hours.

Apple has been famous in eschewing user-swappable batteries in its devices, unlike many other manufacturers. That means that a user who needs to replace an old battery has to send it in (or at least, take it in), and that there's no "carrying of extra batteries."

The AR.Drone comes in three colors: orange with either green, blur or yellow accents. Each model comes with two hulls, one of them for indoor use, with protective loops around the rotors. The device creates its own wi-fi network which the iOS device connects to in order to control the Quadricopter.

It's also possible that other controllers could eventually be created or used with the wi-fi network. In fact, Parrot will be uploading the AR.Drone's communication source code, so that other mobile phone manufacturers (read: Android) can develop their own remote control applications.

At $300, the Parrot AR.Drone Quadricopter is not cheap, and thus not really a toy. As we said, it goes on sale on Sept. 9th. Oh, and the big question: is dogfighting possible? You bet it is. You can watch a couple of videos below, and there's also a YouTube channel with many more, as well.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

It sure is a toy :P lol, what else will it be used for?

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
ADrone replied on Sun, Sep 5 2010 9:01 PM

Buy from Amazon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Sep 5 2010 9:05 PM

I posted a cool video showing a user-built hexacopter a while back. It's amazing the range, payload and speed these things can handle.

I'll bet we see a CSI episode coming up where someone mounts a pistol to one, shoots someone, then flies it into a fast-moving river. Oh great... now we can't have remote control toys anymore.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator

"someone mounts a pistol to one, shoots someone, then flies it into a fast-moving river"

Ha-Ha! The way your mind works,......

You really are 3vi1 aren't you?

Now some idiot will read this and get ideas to try such a thing,.....

BTW: I'd use a bomb,...

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

"Heads out to buy a pistol" "Orders a ar.drone" (Video will be posted soon of it killing someone O.o) lol EVIL!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 1,735

"someone mounts a pistol to one, shoots someone"

These things couldn't handle the recoil. Realneil's bomb idea is probably more doable...esp. because of the instant evidence destruction.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
PPearson replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 12:35 PM

poison dart maybe?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Xeus replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 6:08 PM

Next version: SkyNet.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Awesome review of the AR.Drone. I am glad to hear about the battery life, because the website does not give a lot of details about that. I just finished posting some of the AR.Drone repair videos and guides on my tech blog.

Can I reprint your post on my blog?

Micheal

http://allthisjunk.com

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS