internet connection problems

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 Posted: Thu, Aug 26 2010 8:52 PM

Having some problems with connecting to the internet. I can connect to the network fine, but lately i am unable to connect to the internet.  Not sure why but the problem goes away and then comes back. Once i get a connection to the internet it works perfectly, but when i restart my system the problem comes back.

Looked at my router and my activity light is going off and every one else is having no problems. Wondering if it can be the motherboard since it has been recently replaced.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,409
Points 46,520
ForumsAdministrator

I assume you are using a wired connection...is that correct?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 12:31 PM

Yea

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 12:46 PM

Most likely a bad cable or a bad ethernet port.

Make sure the clip isn't broken and the cable is snugly fit in the port.

If that's fine, try a new cable all together.

Other wise, go pick up a $15 ethernet adapted.(unless you're on a laptop, in which case it will cost more)

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 4:36 PM

i am wondering why i can read files off other computers but cant connect to the internet. can that still be caused by a bad port?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Sun, Aug 29 2010 9:57 PM

fat78:

i am wondering why i can read files off other computers but cant connect to the internet. can that still be caused by a bad port?

Highly unlikely.

Check proxy settings in IE and make sure there is no proxy set. (tools>internet options>connections>LAN settings. Uncheck use proxy)

Check all of the settings for TCP/IP under the properties for the ethernet adapter you're using.(Control panel> Network Connections. Right-Click> Properties. Then click on TCP/IP> Properties. Make sure everything is Automatic.)

Make sure there are not parental settings configured to limit your internet browsing.

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
chrisadam replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 8:24 AM

Troubleshoot Internet connection problems

Troubleshooting Internet connection problems can be a challenge because there are so many possible causes. First, try these steps:

• Open Network Diagnostics by right-clicking the network icon in the notification area, and then clicking Diagnose and repair.

• Make sure that all wires are connected (for example, make sure your modem is connected to a working phone jack or cable connection, either directly or through a router).

• Reset your modem and router. Remove the power cord from the modem and/or router, wait at least 10 seconds, and then plug the modem and/or router back in.

• Check your router. Because of the new networking features in Windows Vista, some older network routers are not fully compatible with Windows Vista and can cause problems. You can test your router to see whether it is fully compatible withWindows Vista by running the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool. Or, for a list of routers that are compatible with Windows Vista, go to the Windows Logo'd Products List website.

If these steps don't solve the problem, look for a specific problem in the following list.

Show all

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 9:44 PM

ok i think i found out the problem, i had two networks on my network list. one of the networks i have no idea why it was on my list but i guess my computer was some times trying to connect to it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 12:44 AM

new problem, every time i boot up my computer it connects to a public network instead of my home network, how do i change default network?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 5:05 AM

Wait... I thought this was a wired connection... this is sounding like a wireless connection...

If it's wired... then what networks are you talking about? Where are you looking?

-- Certifications --

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 6:53 AM

it is wired.

it finds my home network fine and for some reason it creates a unkown public network on the network list. I disable it and then it connects to my home fine, no idea where this public one is coming from. its listed as a unkown network, but not sure why it is even showing up on my list.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Wed, Sep 1 2010 2:56 AM

Manage networks, delete all networks, and restart the computer so that it redetects your network.

-- Certifications --

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS